Prevalence of JW Suicides - Real or Imagined?

by AMNESIAN 82 Replies latest jw friends

• worf
    worf

From the Jamaica New York City area:
    A Young brother with a pregnant wife committed suicide because he had been dfed and his numerous pleas for reinstatement went ignored.The so-called elders kept telling him that "he needed more time" but never any further explanation.Finally his pregnant wife who was due to have the baby any day at that time went to the so-called elders herself and asked them what he needed more time for.The answer was that "he just needed more time" and again no further explanation.She herself was already disgusted as her husband was regularly attending the meetings to try and be reinstated.After this final plea for reinstatement, he went home and shot himself.He was depressed over continually being rejected by the so-called elders.This happened about one and a half years ago.It is well known here in the Jamaica area.
    Another case: A CO who served in this area had gotten ill.Went out of CO work for awhile.Got better.returned to CO work and shortly thereafter hung himself.Seems the borg has done their best to try and keep this one under wraps.But it happened and is known.
    worf

• larc
    larc

Quester,

Thank you for reminding us of the lurkers here who may be going through a very emotional time.

I hope this place can return to what it used to be, a place to explore ideas, ask questions, and receive good advice. I hate to see new ones frightened off because they are attacked or prematurely pushed in the direction of a new set of beliefs.

Thanks again for your reminder.

• Introspection
    Introspection

I'd like to ask the question of what we, as ex-JWs can do to prevent this from happening. Certainly this will be difficult if not impossible for some, if you're being shunned you can't easily communicate with active JWs. But for those of us who can, what can we say? It seems there should be some kind of common ground to work from.. Incidentally, this is one reason why I'm reluctant to attack the organization itself with everyone. For some this can no doubt be beneficial, but I'd imagine someone who's so depressed as to consider suicide would be on pretty shaky ground, and directly challenging their belief system may do more harm than good.

"It is not so much that you use your mind wrongly--you usually don't use it at all. It uses you. This is the disease." -Eckhart Tolle, The Power of Now

• Gordy
    Gordy

I attempted suicide 5 years ago. Due to a mixture of personal and JW thinking, I developed acute clinical depression. Must have had it for years according to Doctors and it just came to a climax.
    I went into a psychiatric hospital for about a month.
    The reaction of the staff when they found out I was a JW was "Not another one!" I was asked how such a small group, could have produced so many people with mental, I was the fourth in about three months. I got got more love from the staff and other patients than was shown by any JW while there. The whole attitude of the Elders was how can we get rid of him. Their answer to my depression was go on the ministry. I couldn't face speaking to members of my family let alone strangers at a door! It was another 3 years before I got out from them. I have had more love and help from those in "Christendom" than froma any JW.

• Gordy
    Gordy

Godrules

Thats not depression thats everyday living. We all deal with that kind. Thats just showing your ignorance about what depression really is.
    Depression is when you feel absolutely worthless. When nothing will live your spirits. When you see no solution to anything. Its like a great weight you carry as if you have all the problems of the world with you. I only managed to shake of my depression by coming to Christ, not some man-made organisation.

• D wiltshire
    D wiltshire

I was from central Connecticut and served as an elder their for a number of years. I can think of five suicides among JWs, there are more I'm sure but here are 5 that I can recall right now.

1) Young brother shot himself in the head when he didn't get promoted to the next grade. Both his parents are now dead I think because of the stress his suicide caused(they died relativly young).

2) Sister committed suicide by sitting in her car while it was running in the garage with the garage door closed.

3) Brother found out his wife was cheating on him commits suicide by carbon monoxide (car exaust).

4) Brother kills himself because he is very depressed, one elder I know felt very bad about this because he did it after he had spoken to him. I never ask about what he said to him I didn't want to open an old wound, it seemed to painful to him.

5) Young brother moves in to our territory and one of his family members called me, to ask me call on him and mentions he was very depressed. I'm very afraid to do this because I know you can't really say what Society teaches because you might drive them over the egde, so I stall because I don't want to be responsible for someone taking their life. I finally get up the strenght and call back this elder who asked me to call on him to get his address again and he tell me it's to late he killed himself.

I feel that most elders are not in position to help because the WT has so much negativity in its teachings. And they use so much guilt to get its members to do what they want to them to do.

I would like any who are still elders to please respond to what they could do to help those that are trully depressed.

• Eusebius Hieronymus
    Eusebius Hieronymus

For D wiltshire, whose sensitivity to the problem is greatly appreciated

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

I thought I was "happy" JW, but I was fooling myself, which made me more depressed. When I sought out a counselor, I was urged to "go to the elders," which I did. They told me all I need was the organization and the WT as my counselor. When I threatened to hurt myself, I was finally taken seriously. My depression is stable with medication and leaving the WT was the best thing I ever did. Exiting isn't that easy, but when it's done, it's much better than crashing your car into a telephone pole.

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

I too was depressed as an active JW. When I sought help from the elders, they said to go out in service more, study the publications more. When I confessed that I was looking for profesional help, they pegged me as looking for "worldly" support. Truth is, the elders aren't trained to handle depression so they sweep it under the rug with the other things that make the Organization look bad.

Two months after being DFed, I attempted to committ suicide. I knew it was wrong, but felt at that time I had no alternative. The idea of dying into "nothingness" appealed to me.

I committed myself to the psychiatric ward of a local Kansas hospital. Some of my worldly friends gave me more support during that period than any JW EVER gave me. They took me into their own home and let me live with them. I found out later that a lady working at that hospital that night was a JW and reported to my parents at 3:00 am that I had admitted myself. I never heard from my parents that night or any other night about my admission. I confronted my parents later about not doing anything. Both said to me, "If you really wanted to kill yourself, there is nothing we could have done, so why bother?" Sad? You bet! Couldn't they have at least TRIED to help??? Not trying to me signifies NOT CARING. Disappointed in my Christian parents! More than any other thing they've done in their lives!

I sincerely believe there is more suicide and suicidal tendencies in JW's than probably any other religion. More that the Tower is probably willing to admit. How would it make them feel if THAT were exposed??? Right along with the pedofile and abuse issues??? The walls of security of the Tower would crumble for sure!!! Too bad we don't have statistics!

My two cents...

Billygoat

• bluesapphire
    bluesapphire

My uncle is a well-respected psychiatrist with over 30 years experience. He works for the United Nations in Washington DC and also has a private practice. About six months ago a 16 year old boy was brought in to him because he had tried to commit suicide. The boy was being brought up as a JW. Since that time, the family of the boy have referred 7 more JWs from their congregation. All of them are being treated for serious depression problems and they all have suicidal tendencies. My uncle told me that he believes that the belief system of the JWs is the primary cause for the depression. It comes as no surprize to me with such a fatalistic view of the world around them, always waiting for the "end" instead of trying to enjoy this life. Any enjoyment they might have is tarnished with GUILT GUILT AND MORE GUILT! Sad huh!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit