Prevalence of JW Suicides - Real or Imagined?

by AMNESIAN 82 Replies latest jw friends

• Michael3000
    Michael3000

Wow. The responses to this thread are really insightful (for the most part). Reminds me of my upbringing as a Dub, and how much odd, "unsocialized" behavior I'd seen - spanning all demographics - during that time.

I know that elders are under tremendous stress (mainly because they are expected to be ministers, counselors, therapists, psychologists, detectives and Bible scholars - all with NO formal training), and knew several that tried to hide (ususally unsuccessfully) drinking problems - I can only imagine how this must be for their familes to endure. The stresses of being "shepherds", as well as policemen of sorts, towards the congregation members is unreal. My dad & brother are both elders, and I remember my brother saying to me, when he was appointed, "Once you become an elder, you see all of the problems a congregation is having - some of them are really horrible!" It was in this congregation that I grew up in, where a young JW girl that I went to grade school with was sexually abused (along with her 2 sisters) by her father - a Ministerial Servant. Silentlambs, this was another case that was NOT reported to the authorities. The father admitted to it after YEARS of intercourse with his own daughters, and was DF'd. His wife divorced him, he later re-married another sister in the same congregation, and was reinstated shortly after that. I guess that's what J R Brown would call a "sincerely repentant former child molester." No more microphone handling for him, though - THAT'LL teach him!

There ARE elders who really are good men - kind, caring, truly interested in trying to help the "flock" - but they are few and far between. Sadly, due to the pressures to perform and conform to the strict edicts of the Society, many of these good men have been known to snap, and suffer from debilitating depression, anxiety or more serious mental illnesses.

There was a really sweet, older elder named Max Beavers who, along with his wife, moved into our congregation. He was one of the most gentle, kind, considerate men I have ever known during my whole time as a JW. Inexplicably, about a year or so after joing our congregation, he shotgunned himself in his shower. His wife came home and found him. A story soon circulated that he had been on some type of "medication", was not in his right mind, and that his suicide was the result. I remember thinking at the time that the story seemed so out of character for him, that it sounded fabricated and hollow. It always reminds me of what my brother and others in his position had told me; being an elder means you see all of the open wounds of the congregation.

I know now that some, but not all, of those wounds are self-inflicted.

--Michael

• Ranchette
    Ranchette

Amnesian,
    It's much more prevelant than we want to believe!
    A sister, who was a frend of mine commited suicide.She had a husband and two young children.She was very depressed and had sexual abuse issues.
    My only sister atempted suicide when all support systems and love were taken away from her when she was disfellowshipped.

A couple of months ago my mother was so upset over me leaving the org.that she told me this "If I didn't know that Jehovah would hold me accountable I'd commit suicide,I know he promises not to put more on us than we can bare but I feel like I'm past that point now!"
    I know of many others.
    Ranchette

• HappyHeathen
    HappyHeathen

First, I'd like to add a couple things to LDH's excellent list of things JW's aren't allowed to do (or at least are discouraged from doing):
    -- Read anything but the Watchtower, Awake, or the newspaper (as long as it is done in "moderation"
    -- Listen to anything but Kingdom songs or bland elevator music ..when I was counseled as a teenager for listening to "Satanic rock and roll" like Led Zep, I thought life was over as I knew it.
    What dreary little lives witnesses lead.

Secondly, I knew of two suicides during my 12 years as a JW. Both were young men barely 20 years old -- and both blew their brains out with revolvers. One was the son of an overseer, and the other was the son of a hard-driving, beady eyed pioneer sister who loved to verbally skewer anyone who was "weak." The day after her son's funeral, she showed up the Sunday meeting with the rest of her family and sat in the front row like nothing happened.

My father, an "unbeliever", committed suicide when I was 18. The gathering at our home following his funeral was one of the strangest experiences of my life. Witnesses descended on us in the afternoon (and some of them very kindly brought casseroles and good intentions). However, most of them acted like they were attending a party. I suppose it's their peculiar mindset about death and the resurrection that makes them think people aren't entitled to grieve over a loved one. Ot is it that grieving over a loved one indicates that you love that person more than Jehovah? Anyway, I digress. My father's family (all nonwitnesses) showed up in the middle of our gathering and were highly offended and hurt by the party atmosphere. I was deeply ashamed in front of them that day.

• JWinSF
    JWinSF

My personal feeling/belief is that suicide is disproportionately higher among JWs than among members of other religions in general.

The reason I say this is the following experience a few years ago at our first "A Common Bond" conference. It was in Washington, D.C. We wanted to have a memorial for those who'd committed suicide [but not in the JW way that doesn't really memorialize a person's life but rather shamelessly is used to promote the Organization]. The idea came up because in an email group that many of us participated in, someone brought up the subject. Then another mentioned they knew of a suicide and/or contemplated/attempted it themselves. It snowballed as many commented they personally knew JW suicide victims.

At the Conference during the Memorial [there were approximately 60 of us in attendance] we were asked by a show of hands how many people personally knew of someone who'd committed suicide. Virtually everyone in the audience raised their hand. It was then asked how many contemplated it themselves. Again, a high number raised their hand. It was finally asked how many actually attempted it. Can't remember the exact number, but I'd venture to say that about 10% had raised their hand.

Even though the audience was a gay/lesbian audience, we were basing our collective experience on knowing anyone who'd actually tried/succeeded in committing suicide. In my case, I knew a straight sister in Michigan who succeeded in committing suicide. I also knew a sister in California who'd attempted multiple times to commit suicide. I personally was planning my own suicide in the summer of 1993, starting to plan out how my disabled mother and sister would continue be taken care of [they were both in nursing homes at that point].

So, yes, for whatever reasons, I firmly believe that being a JW does not in itself make one want to live. If anything, the pressures can either make a person of strong conviction consider suicide or can make someone who is predisposed to suicidal tendencies to follow through.

Far from being congregations of "Jehovah's happy people", the organization has immense blood-guilt, IMO.

• Utopian Reformist
    Utopian Reformist

Here are some brief suicide accounts that touched me PERSONALLY in the New England area:

I know of a young baptized sister who was an elder's daughter that committed suicide. The reason circulating through rumor control was that she had been struggling with another "inactive" young witness over the same "worldy boy". They were both in love with the same boy.

Apparently, the inactive teen won the boy's heart instead, and out of sadness, depression, despair and grief, the active teen killed herself. The inactive teen is now in her early twenties, no longer dating that boy and is a smoker and user of marijuana with a live-in boyfriend and three illegitimate children. The new boyfriend is also a drug dealer.

In another family from the same congregation, a young teen (whom I had spent time with on occasion playing sports or taking the boys out to the mall to play video games or eat pizza) hung himself in a public cemetary.

In another case, (believe it or not), my best friend (also a former prison inmate) who studied with the same conductor, committed suicide by overdosing on cocaine.

He had been using secretly over the years and throughout his prison terms. He left a recently married widow and 6 months later a son he did not see. He tried to control himself each time he was paroled from prison, but it never seemed to work out.

I know there is a fourth story, I just can't remember right now.

• JBean
    JBean

Notice how we haven't heard from Godrules in a while since all of your posts, huh? All I have to say is to GR is that your comments were obnoxious and self-righteous (meditate on that for a while if you're so spiritual.) I was born and raised in the faith, but fortunately, had people surrounding me that basically said "THINK, use your god-given conscience... but don't speak too loudly... "THEY may hear you..." Hmmmmm....makes you wonder. I am quietly me :)

• wannahelp
    wannahelp

About 9 months ago, when I was trying to help give my friend some facts, I came across a few web sites that had some scientific facts on the subject..

The reports all stated that JS'w have one of if not the highest rates of suicide of any "organized" religion.. If memory serves me correctly, One of the studies stated that a JW is 17 times more likely to commit suicide than an average person, and a JW is about 80 times more likely to know someone personally who has committed suicide than an average person..

I'm trying to find the reports now (I lost the website bookmarks, after all it was 9 months ago).. But I will look for them again and post the links here in the next day or two for all to see...

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

My wife tried to kill herself, almost successfully, and I was about to attempt when someone found me-

IT'S REAL PEOPLE. VERY REAL.

Life was absolute hell for me and my wife.

But, now we're out and ok.

Life is grand, although I thought at one point was futile, for certainly I would be among the 'goats'.

WHAT TRIPE!

ash

"I pray that I may never see the desert again-hear me God."-Robert Bolt

• Makena1
    Makena1

Wanna and others, from my experience, I would have to agree that suicide, depression etc., has a higher than usual percentage among JW's.

After our daughter's suicide (21 years old, pioneer 4 years - leaving out details for another time), I was surprised at the time how many came and privately told me that they had considered, attempted or knew of a number of friends and relatives who had committed suicide. About 20 years ago, one of my best JW friends from childhood, hung himself. He was diagnosed manic-depressive at the time, but did not follow up on therapy or take the prescribed medication.

Eusebius post sums up several books and articles that helped our family understand this terrible tragedy better.
    http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.asp?id=11287&site=3#136728

Please, please, please pay attention to the warning signs!

Peace,
    Makena

• CPiolo
    CPiolo

As the spouse of a depressed JW, it amazes me to see the prevelance of emotional/psychological problems and suicide among members of JWs. I have seen other posts and some of the other material linked to in this thread, but had absolutely no idea the problem was as big as it seems to be. My wife is currently being treated for her problem, but sees absolutely no connection between her depression and her religion. In fact, she switched therapists after her first therapist pushed the religion button a little too hard. (My wife had mentioned that her religious perspective caused problems in our marriage, and the counseler suggested attending a nuetral church together. Obviously, she knew very little about Witness beliefs, although she told me they are listed as a cult by the American Psychiatric Association.)

I wanted to thank everyone for sharing their personal experiences. It has helped me have a clearer picture of how my wife suffers and what some of the root causes are, as well as helping me have a little more compassion for my wife. This is at times difficult. One's patience is taxed enormously living with someone continually negative and depressed, and I often become short-tempered and irritable with her.

Thanks also to larc and lady lee for the insight and source material. Maximus, It's great to see you back and contributing.

CPiolo

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit