This Is The Wife.

by Englishman 32 Replies latest jw friends

• Englishman
    Englishman

Why do blokes say this?

I've lost count of the number of times an aquaintance or customer introduces his partner by saying: "Oh yeah, this is the wife".

The wife?

I mean..even Terry Wogan refers to 'er indoors as his present wife. Much more respectful, doncha think?

Seriously, I don't understand why English blokes get so embarrassed about their wives so that they have to refer to her as some sort of object. But they do. To tell you the truth, whenever they use this expression, I'm waiting for the wife to go bananas and scream blue murder in frustration at such treatment. But they never do.

Why can't these guys just say this is (insert name here), and avoid any expression that indicates some sort of ownership?

Englishman.

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

cuz.........men are pigs? HEY its just a theory! lol

• Been there
    Been there

At least they introduce them. My husband rarely does. They just have to assume this person standing beside him is his wife and I usually end up introducing myself. When questioned later why he didn't (for the 100th time) I get "Oh, I'm sorry I didn't think about it." You would think after 25 years he'd remember

I don't know why but I don't like someone calling their wife or someone elses "their old lady". I didn't like it when I was 20 and I like it even less now that I'm 29

• Mulan
    Mulan
    At least they introduce them. My husband rarely does. They just have to assume this person standing beside him is his wife and I usually end up introducing myself.

Same here. What is it with that? I wonder sometimes if no one ever taught him how to do it.

• jgnat
    jgnat

That's nothing. Before I forced my JW honey to "out" our relationship, he introduced me as his "sister"! That deception is as old as the hills.

I rag on him for pulling ONE plate and fork from the cupboard. "You're not a bachelor any more, pull one for me, too!" To his credit, he remembers more often that I am around.

• codeblue
    codeblue

Yeah...it is demeaning to the "wife" to be nameless.

When I was married the first time and would visit my husband's family they would say: "look, here's Scott and THEM".....

Yes, that's right, me the wife and the kids were: "them".... It irritated me so much that we didn't have a name. Only my first husband had a name...Go figure?

CodeBlue

• Special K
    Special K

Englishman said.

To tell you the truth, whenever they use this expression, I'm waiting for the wife to go bananas and scream blue murder in frustration at such treatment. But they never do.

I'm blushing, cause I guess you never met me.

Special K

• JAVA
    JAVA

Meriam-Webster:

Husband: a male partner in a marriage....master of a house

Wife: woman......a woman acting in a specified capacity.......a female partner in a marriage

The person I'm married to is my spouse, we do not have the same last names (or first names for that matter) but we share many other things.

I think the terms wife and husband are outdated unless a woman wishes to act "in a specified capacity."

• Country_Woman
    Country_Woman

when somebody introduced his wife as :"present wife" I would immediately wonder when there would be another one ?

For the rest - it would'nt bother me to be introduced as "my wife" for I would introduce my husband the same way (when I had one)

• minimus
    minimus

I thought I was going to see a picture of "Her Ladyship".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit