Not Many Brits Know That America Declared War On Us..

by Englishman 36 Replies latest jw friends

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

well, sure, 1812 was when the US kicked the Brit's ass...the only time the US was ever invaded by foriegn troops. ( not counting pearl harbor, because the Japaneese never invaded, they just attacked....so says my history buff husband)

We've been great friends ever since! Like a true gentleman, Brit gov stood up and said, ooops my bad! won't do it again. Come over for a cuppa sometime, will you ol chap?

=)

• Englishman
    Englishman
    oh, wake up guys this whole thing's just been gotten up for a piss take by two naughty englishmen - englishman & big simon from manchester

A piss take?

Moi?

Good heavens. Perish the thought.

Englishman.

• fleaman uk
    fleaman uk

hee hee if this is a Piss take.

Mind you,I would still be interested in Ironglands (great name btw!) explanation of why the battle of Britain took place??

• CaptainSchmideo
    CaptainSchmideo

I shouldn't rise to the bait, but I always do...

Why does E-Man feel the need to troll with comments critical of the US?

"Please, can't we all just get along?"

• Golf
    Golf

EMan, an elderly friend recommended that I read 'The Struggle For The Border' by Bruce Hutchinson. It actually talks about the war of 1812 in Chapter 16. I'll have to browse through it. My understanding on the war of 1812 differs, it was a needless war.

Guest77

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

I can see why some saw it as a needless war. However, His Majesty never fully honored the kids breaking away in their own thirteen colonies and still treated the United States as kids - part of the Great Brittain and the Brittish Commonwealth, blocking the US ports from allowing US merchant ships to enter or leave, boarding merchant ships and pressing US citizens into the Brittish Naval Service. Basically, His Majesty had his knickers in a knot over loosing the colonies.

The US got tired of the King's BS and challenged him to it. It was the war of 1812 that finally set Gr. Brittain straight that the US was our own country and no longer a part of the Brittish Commonwealth. It also created some great music - the 1812 Overture, complete with canon, and the Star Spangled Banner. I tear up with the lines "oh say does that star spangled banner yet wave, o'r the land of the free and the home of the brave".

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

PS Those who fail to learn from history, are destined to repeat it.

• CaptainSchmideo
    CaptainSchmideo
    It also created some great music - the 1812 Overture, complete with cannon..

While I agree that the 1812 Overture is Great Music, it has nothing to do with the US War of 1812.

It was written by Tchaikovsky in 1880 as "a ceremonial overture to celebrate the 70th anniversary of Russia's victory over Napoleon in 1812," and premiered at the 1882 Moscow Expedition. (Hence, the Russian chorus and La Marseillaise are used prominently as motifs.)

However, if you do want a song specifically about the last battle of the war of 1812, get Johnny Horton's rendition of "The Battle of New Orleans". It's got a neat snare drum hook, a catchy verse ("We fired our guns and the British kept on comin' , There wasn't as many as there was a while ago. We fired once more and they began to runnin' , down the Mississippi to the Gulf of Mexico.")

Ironically, the Battle of New Orleans was fought AFTER a peace treaty had been signed. Of, course, no telephones back then to let the Generals know.

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

Thanx Capt Schmideo.

Actually I was aware of the 1812 Overture.... But I thought I'd throw it in. 1812 was an interesting year all around.

Thanx for the reminder of the Battle of New Orleans by Horton... Yes, good snare drum, and catchy tune. Fun to sing.

... Gawd, now I'm gonna have it running through my little peabrain all afternoon.

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

I really think that this is some of the only evidence that god exist... can you imagine if the US had waited three or four more years to enter the war? Both the US and Germany would have had the bomb maybe even Russia... no way Germany is waiting for the US to build up a landing force in england so he nukes it off the face of the earth with his V series rockets (4 addtional years of research would have made them really accurate) The US while behind on rockets can fly around the atlantic to the north and bomb germany back... Russia cuts loose at everyone... germany starts shooting upgraded V-25 rockets acoss the atlantic... submarines carry nukes right into the rivers and harbors of every country involved...

scary stuff...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit