Not Many Brits Know That America Declared War On Us..

by Englishman 36 Replies latest jw friends

• Englishman
    Englishman

..in 1812.

According to this article, the end of this particular war was the start of a strong bond, now known as a Special Relationship between our 2 countries. http://www.napoleonguide.com/campaign_1812.htm

And, ever since that date, the Special Relationship between Britain and The USA has been totally fair and balanced with both countries giving and receiving in exactly equal amounts.

..Hasn't it?

Englishman.

• under74
    under74

"And, ever since that date, the Special Relationship between Britain and The USA has been totally fair and balanced with both countries giving and receiving in exactly equal amounts.

..Hasn't it?"

Sure....(looks around cautiously) ...sure it has EM...yup fair and balanced...

• JustTickledPink
    JustTickledPink

All I know is when the job of being Queen opens up in the US I want to apply. I would love the job and have great qualifications in the smiling and waving arena. As a bonus I love wearing crowns and tiaras.

PS loved my visit to the UK about 10 years ago. Spent a week in London and had a total blast!

• Dan-O
    Dan-O

It seemed like things were going fairly well, but then you Brits had to send anne Robinson over here to annoy the crap out of us.

alt

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

Yeah, EM, the US may have declared war, but the Brittish Navy were detaining and boarding US merchant ships and illegally pressing US citizens into naval service! So youse guyse started it, neener neener.

And yeah, everything has been fair and balanced since... my arse!

A Note: The only real victor in WWII, unintentionally so, was the US. US came out of it quite weathly with the rapid development of industry to support the war. Brittain barely survived, and much was demolished, western europe was destroyed, as was the eastern front, and Japan. It was the end of WWII that Brittain lost much of her commonwealth countries, too. Only the French were stubborn enough to try to maintain a hold in VietNam... and we know where that lead. However, I can very much appreciate why Churchill was secretly delighted when Japan attacked Pearl Harbor.

Hugs

Brenda

Psst: Peace begins with me - pass it on!

• CaptainSchmideo
    CaptainSchmideo

...And of course, without Lend/Lease, you guys would be drinking tea under pictures of Uncle Adolph....

How often does the sun set on the British Empire these days, anyway?.....

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

Adding can-o-worms:

I think Tony Blair had his heart and conscience in the right place in supporting the US post 9/11 in Afghanistand and Iraq. Too bad he was mislead like the rest of us.

• Englishman
    Englishman

Dan O,

Anyone told you that you look like Phil Mitchell?

I think Tony Blair had his heart and conscience in the right place in supporting the US post 9/11 in Afghanistand and Iraq. Too bad he was mislead like the rest of us.

Yup! I was mislead too. God knows what we were thinking of.

Englishman.

• Simon
    Simon
    ...And of course, without Lend/Lease, you guys would be drinking tea under pictures of Uncle Adolph....

What you mean is, "thank god the Brits stood ALONE against Hitler or else we'd all be goose marching now"

Thankfully, most Americans are sensible and recognise that it was a joint effort - neither nation could have done it on their own. Still the odd tosser I see though ...

• catchthis
    catchthis
    fair and balanced...

You mean like Fox News' "fair and balanced?"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit