Who cares if the JWs are right?

by new light 56 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• new light
    new light

I've often heard it referred to as a perpetual District Convention. We all know the JWs are wrong in the first place, but this idea of not wanting to live forever on earth under the horrible Witness god just adds fuel to our fire.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

"...provoking the lions..."

Hehehe! "C'mon, ya big sissy! Spit out that straw and taste a little meat for once in your God-forsaken life! Kill me already!"

• Leilani
    Leilani

I'm actually torn on this. On one hand if they right that means my children and I are most likely doomed, especially since I was DF'd. On the other hand I want it to be true for the rest of family. My mother and father, who have both died and believed it all and refused blood transfusion because of it, my brother is fighting to get re-instated, his whole life revolving around it, and my sister, whom the doctors don't feel will survive another 5 yrs of cancer, and is also depending on these beliefs. I don't really believe in God at this point though. The JW's had a big hand in that.

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman
    Were we supposed to keep studing even AFTER we made in to the pardise?.

Well, of course, that's when the "new scrolls" would be coming out, offering many hours of exciting meeting material! They'll probably have to increase the number of meetings just to keep up!

The premise of this thread reminds me of a joke I once heard a comedian tell: "Jehovah's Witnesses came to my door, and when I said I wasn't interested, they asked, 'But sir, don't you want eternal life?' I said, 'Not if it has to be with a bunch of Jehovah's Witnesses.'"

• JustTickledPink
    JustTickledPink

Even if they are right? Nope. No way.

I also do not believe in the God they teach about, they call him Jehovah yet paint him as this terribly punisher, creator all living things that wants to destroy anything that questions the rules. I do not see it. My God is one of love and peace and FREEDOM and FREE CHOICE. After all, that was what he gave Adam and Eve.... let's not forget that. FREE WILL AND FREE CHOICE.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Reminds me of a line in Lubitsch's Design for Living: "I'm afraid, Bassington, that you are right... but nonetheless boring."

When I was 13 y.o. and part of my family was "studying" with JWs my stepbrother decided it was just "boring" and left after a couple of months. I was concerned with the "true or false" issue and spent 15 years of my life in the org. A few months before being df'd, as I realised it was false, I also understood that I had never been interested in "everlasting life on a paradise earth". However I had been stuck with the idea of "truth" because I took that issue seriously.

Conclusion: those who allow themselves to think in terms of "interesting" vs. "boring" rather than "true" vs. "false" will often find valuable shortcuts in life.

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman
    Conclusion: those who allow themselves to think in terms of "interesting" vs. "boring" rather than "true" vs. "false" will often find valuable shortcuts in life.

Tried that philosophy in high school. Didn't work that well. I ended up reading a lot of science fiction and hardly any schoolbooks. As a result, my grades were barely passing, even though I clearly had the ability to be a top student.

• TheListener
    TheListener

I love this thread.

Jez, your comment was right on. I have never thought of it that way before.

When I first began to doubt I thought for sure I would be killed by God. Then when I got CoC I knew for a fact I was gonna die. But, as the mind control loosened its grip on me I realized that I'll just have to suffer through until I am old and wrinkly. Wow, it's actually kind of cool to have free choice and serve God out of desire and not FEAR.

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool

I ran into an MS yesterday and talked with him for a while. I told him I'd rather burn in the Catholic's hell than live in a world populated by JWs.

Walter

• lawrence
    lawrence

Great thread! Provoking lions and 300 years before serious head banging starts... I venture 10 years, and the asylum will become as mad as now, 5 more years and a real mad house. "C'mon lion, I can kick your ass like Ron Artest did in Detroit before the G.T. and big A, cmon sucker!"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit