How did field service duty affect your zeal for the troof?

by M.J. 32 Replies latest jw experiences

• M.J.
    M.J.

Did it reinforce your dedication to the cause? Or did it burden and disillusion you?

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

I hated going out in service, absolutely hated it. I mean I hated it with a purple passion!

• kaykay_mp
    kaykay_mp

This sounds kinda immature, but when I was younger, I'd always be afraid to knock on a door of some cute guy that I went to school with. I actually did a few times; I would almost pee in my pants. Then they would pretend like they don't even know me once they found out that I was a Witless.

laters

kaykay_mp

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Hated it. Hated it with such a passion that it was avoided at all cost. Honestly thought others liked it. Good to know I am not alone in my dislike of field service.

Mrs Jones

• willyloman
    willyloman
    Did it reinforce your dedication to the cause? Or did it burden and disillusion you?

It did both of those things. In the early days, a morning in service reinforced the dub teachings and really drove home that it was "us against them." That's what cults do, you know.

Later, when thinking set in, the whole thing became a mindless task, a chore to be gotten over with, something you did to be seen doing it.

Once it became nothing more than that, it got tedious, then unbearable. It was the realization that field service was, like many dub doctrines, part of The Big Lie that helped me see the truth about the truth.

• Freedom Fighter
    Freedom Fighter

In my case it killed any enthusiasm stone dead. Knocking on the door of people I knew, especially school friends, filled me with absolute dread and shame.

I hated every single minute of it, the only time it was bearable was when I partnered my mum and I could refuse point blank to do any speaking at the doors! I am so glad I'll never have to do that again!

FF

• Aude_Sapere
    Aude_Sapere

Boy can I relate to meeting school acquaintances (not friends, mind you, they were to remain acquaintances) at the door.

Fortunately, I always lived out of territory. So I almost never had to work in neighborhoods where I knew people.

As an adult, I never even had to work my own territory and I lived right next door to the hall.

I was lucky that way.

I had a little trick that I fell in to with someone I worked in the field with often. When I would lose thoughts or just really didn't want to continue with the door, I would turn to my partner, look him right in the eye and give him a big smile. (Your Door!!) I got away with that one waaayy too often!!

Very immature of me, I know. But I really only went out of sense of obligation.

• Gill
    Gill

I hated every single moment of it. As a child, of course I was forced to go out on the ministry or'the work' as we called it. I refused to talk to anyone at the doors. Then one very embarrassing day, my mother said to me when the householder came to the door and opened the door, 'It's your turn'. I stood there with no mags or bible or anything, with nothing to say and my mum sneering at me ' Go on! It's your turn!' I was about ten years old at the time!

I often think back to that and realise what an ass my mum was and how delusional she really is when it comes to the troof.

I also still wonder about the lady who came to the door and what a bunch of idiots she must think witlesses really are.

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

i hated meeting for service , i was always invisible and left out.. you know when brother "i'm in charge" says at the end " did we forget anyone?" i was ALWAYS the forgotten one.

i enjoyed being out with others. we gossiped and visited and it was quite nice.

the actual going door to door was annoying i always felt like i was intruding.

• Country_Woman
    Country_Woman

From the 5 years I was a wittnes, I think I went the first 2 years into field service - at the max. an hour a week - after those first years, I did'nt go anymore.

It felt as to violence somebody's privacy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit