How did field service duty affect your zeal for the troof?

by M.J. 32 Replies latest jw experiences

• OUT and about
    OUT and about

I can certainly say it disillusioned me! It's one thing to be unsure of something, and ignore the fact. Quite another to hear falsehoods coming from your own mouth. I always have a real hard time trying to convince someone of something I don't believe in myself. Otherwise I'd be employed in sales. Field service came to a grinding halt once I realized that my doubts were not being answered.

I kind of almost sort of did like conducting or sitting in on bible studies, though. Probably because the hard part of facing someone was done (and the knowledge you were going to count some real time). I remember I had a young (wise ass) student once who asked me what Jesus middle name was. Without skipping a beat, I replied "H."

No witness I ever told that to (including the bro who assisted me that day) ever found that humorous. I guess using the Lords name in vain was one of the few commandments most upheld.

Jesus H. Christ

• Balsam
    Balsam

Zeal for the field service certainly kept one thinking constantly about preaching, and the organization. Did it keep one zealous the more they talked, yes, until exhaustion kicked in. Mind numbing exhaustion. You know what I remember most about the JW lifestyle - pressure lots of pressure. Preach Preach Preach, make room for it in our lifes. Preach at the grocery store, bus stop, at work, at school. Carry magazines around with us ever ready to spread the supposed good news. Family, having a life, or enjoying life was not as important as preaching constantly. We were to live, breath, think constantly about preaching. And we could never do enough. Even full time pioneers lived crazed filled lives to get more and more time. Even overtime so they could have extra time on hand in case they got sick. Do you remember the young women on conventions with children in tow going door to door pioneering? She could be on the break of a nervous break down but could never give up her pioneering. I watched my sister in law pioneer for 10 years. She was unmarried and had no children, and worked and was exhausted all the time. Can you imagine a Mom with little kids enduring that. What the heck was God thinking making such demands on families? Door to door preaching was how we showed God we loved him. We were completely brainwashed into believing that nonsense. Before I left as I started slowing down going to meetings, and stopped field service, I would sit in the meetings and think. I am done with this. To heck with God, if he requires this I want nothing to do with him. That is the one thing I noticed immediate relief on, the pressure was gone to preform when I left the troof. That level of stress is sure to cause people to be sick. Could it cause the body to be vulnerable to disease like cancer? Heart Disease? did you ever look around the KH and wonder why everyone was sick and exhausted all the time. The meetings, the preaching work, family demands. I used to be numb with exhaustion for 20 years as my children were growing up. I didn't even pioneer, but I did preach at every opportunity. I worked full time, attended all meetings, service on Sat or Sun, and assemblies and conventions. I was so exhausted at time I thought I was going to die. I remember during the time I was caring for my elderly mother whom I could not leave alone at all. The Elders came, wanting to encourage me to get out in the door to door work. I looked at them, marveling that they could not realize I was at the point of a break down due to exhaustion. I had three elementary school age children and my mother to care for and full time home business. My childrens Dad worked two jobs to support us. And here the Elders were concerned I was not getting 10 hrs a month in door to door work. They have me various ways to get more time. Phone calls to householders, writting letters, etc etc. They didn't care about me, my husband was too exhausted to care either. I am surprised I did not lose my mind. When I finally walked away from it, it felt like 10 tons had been lifted of my shoulders. Balsam

• Greenpalmtreestillmine
    Greenpalmtreestillmine

The pressure to conform and perform in the Witness religion is tremendous.

This takes away so much of the true joy in life but I did not see that until I left. When they mandate preaching they suffocate neighborly love and push fear of displeasing the Society into its place.

The Watchtower is run by some very troubled and immature men.

Sabrina

• minimus
    minimus

Field service was an exercise in futility. Good ?

• M.J.
    M.J.

Thanks, Balsam for that great personal account. Here's a passage from Steven Hassan's Releasing the Bonds:

Members are made to feel part of an elite corps of mankind. This feeling of being special, of participating in the most important acts of human history with a vanguard of committed believers, is strong emotional glue to keep people sacrificing and working hard. As a community, they feel they have been chosen by God to lead mankind out of darkness into a new age of enlightenment. Cult members have a great sense not only of mission but of their special place in history?they will be recognized for their greatness for generations to come. In the Moonies we were told that monuments and historical markers would someday be erected to commemorate us and our sacrifices. Ironically, members of cults look down on anyone involved in any other cult groups. They are very quick to acknowledge that "Those people are in a cult" or "they are the ones who are brainwashed." They are unable to step out of their own situations and look at themselves objectively. This feeling of elitism and destiny, however, carries a heavy burden of responsibility. Members are told that if they do not fully perform their duties, they are failing all of mankind?The rank-and-file member is humble before superiors and potential recruits, but arrogant to outsiders. Almost all members are told when being recruited that they too will become leaders one day. However, advancement will be achieved only by outstanding performance or by appointment?they consider themselves better, more knowledgeable, and more powerful than anyone else in the world. As a result, cult members oftem feel more responsible than they have ever felt in their lives. They walk around feeling as though the world is on their shoulders.
  • TresHappy
    TresHappy

I know many ex Witnesses who actually enjoyed field service. I felt like I was intruding on people who didn't give a darn about the JW's and viewed us as an annoying interruption with their daily lives. I mean, actually knocking on someone's door Christmas morning! My, our elders had some balls, didn't they? And when I quietly protested I was made to believe I had just said the worst thing in the world...balking at Jehovah's service and arrangement...off with her head!

• FairMind
    FairMind

Initially and for several years I enjoyed FS very much. I would prepare well and use all the techniques we are taught in the TMS. I also was very capable of using the Bible to shred to pieces the arguments of most householders (I enjoyed doing that, shame on me). Since learning the truth about the truth FS is simply something I minimally do to avoid the problems associated with being labeled as inactive.

FM

• OUT and about
    OUT and about

Have to agree with you, Tres. Service on Christmas morning MORNING!!!!!!! (I did it once, my first december I was going door to door). That has to be utterly the worst display of tact, as far as a householder (crap, I used one of their terms) would be concerned. Sorry neigbors!!!!!

• Incense_and_Peppermints
    Incense_and_Peppermints

i liked it and felt i was doing Jehovah's work...

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

I LOVED the coffee breaks. That was about it.

Kwin

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit