How did field service duty affect your zeal for the troof?

by M.J. 32 Replies latest jw experiences

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee

I always hated FS. There was so much more I could be doing on a Saturday morning or Sunday after the meeting. Since I was the oldest and there were two younger ones at home, my mom usually sent me out in service with others. It was usually ok if I got paired up with this older sister, she had lots of magazine calls and small studies - you know the kind where you drop in sit and have a few cookies and chat, then at the end leave a magazine. But it was different if I was going out with our one regular pioneer. She was all for the preaching, no breaks etc.

Things got better when my older friends started getting their drivers licence. We would do the country territory, the farthest area we could drive to, and drive slow, stop at a small country resturant for fries and gravy for break. lol

I hated taking the doors, am a shy person and am the type that likes to know what's going to happen. It was always a crap shoot as to what would be on the other side of the door. I would memorize a presentation, and hope that the home owner wouldn't ask me any questions - just take the mag or say no thanks. One time a friend and I got stuck in this crazy guys house. He had all these math equations written on all his walls and was convinced that Daniel came from heaven in a space ship. Finally one of the brothers found us and took us out of there in a hurry. You just never knew who was on the other side of the door.

BB

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee

Oh, and welcome to momof5 and Blue_Shadow! I'm new here too.

Love

BB

• snakeizz
    snakeizz

I hated FS with a passion! The worst part of it was being paired up with people u didn't like or barely knew...especially a "live and die for the truth" kind of brother or sister...like all of you basically said...nothing compared to going to a door where your schoolmates lived!! Especially when you didn't tell them that u were a witness. (this happened to me 3 times) I hated getting up early in the morning....especially as a kid....all u cared about as a kid was watching Saturday morning cartoons!....(at least i did anyway) I loved getting up for those....but not field service! It did nothing for my zeal for the truth...I didn't fully believe what I was preaching so I was never able to give a convicting presentation to my "householder"....I think my partners sensed this so they always took over after my 2 or 3 doors (which was part of my plan LOL)

Another thing that sucked was getting chased by neighborhood dogs, going to dangerous houses ( I went to one that said "Soliciters make good target practice" with one of those target practice boards on the front door). There were times when I thought I wasn't going to make it out of people's homes. I also hated the way we were bamboozled into thinking that the less time we spent in the field, the lower the favor was we had with God. Yet, another contradiction of His unconditional love and the huge WT discussion we had on Jehovah not being a partial God......

The only things I liked about field service was when I got to work with people I liked, and my family. With them there was minimal talking on my behalf. Depending on who you were with, you got to go to McDonald's afterwards.....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit