I'm afraid there are only 2 ways of being a true believin' Christian

by Zep 75 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

Brenda,

Point well taken. I believe the words (depending on what translation you read) were "Love your God with your whole heart and love your neighbor as yourself." I just take that to mean that loving yourself is a given...not necessarily as a third rule. Although it would be a lovely third rule. Or maybe the first rule.

Thinking out loud here again...doing a lot of that today...

Perhaps that's why the concept of Love is so difficult for JWs. They DON'T love themselves. When you're degraded and shamed into living a certain way and told if you don't measure up to an unreachable standard...you can't possibly love yourself when you're failing left and right. If you don't love yourself, how can you possibly love anyone else? Let alone God?

Still mulling here.

Andi

• zen nudist
    zen nudist

there is a third way....

there are those who realize that words do not contain any meaning but can only point to experiences... and so no story, bible or otherwise can point you to anything but your own personal experiences and this is the key to understanding all things, look within.... you are the ONE and the ONLY one who can connect with the ALL which is your true self.... the myths and legends and stories are all symbolic of this journey of self discovery.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

I consider my self a Christian - no excuses needed.

I trust the Bible - no excuses needed. Parts are prob metaphor, agreed.

I believe in God -and Prayer -and I am intellegent, capable, at the same time.

I just don't believe in JW brand of Christianity - that is why I am here.

Just My Opinion

Jeff

• Sunchild
    Sunchild

[Re. the original post]

I used to see things similarly while I was a Pagan, which makes it all the more ironic that I'm a Christian now. *g* Now, I feel a little silly for having been just as narrow-minded as I claimed Christians were.

I actually wrote a short essay on this subject -- what makes a Christian -- about a week ago, and I think it's appropriate that I link it here:

Defining Christian

I want to say it's just my opinion, but I would be lying. I truly, honestly believe that that IS what makes a Christian a "true" Christian. Agree with it or don't (it doesn't matter much to me, and this sentiment is addressed to no one in particular), I'm just putting it out there. And from the looks of things, I'm not the only one who thinks this way.

~Rochelle.

• Zep
    Zep

missy04 or Sarah

sorry you feel insulted. I dont really hate Christians. Sometimes i almost envy Christians...sometimes! Sometimes they seem to have a peace that I'll never have, and some do do a lot of good in the community that I can admire. But I dont know, maybe they just hide their hatred better. And I dont think their "peace" has anything to do with Christ, maybe its just maturity. Is it possible to be mature and ignorant at the same time? I don't know!....maybe!

But, you know, I just can't believe in that stuff. For me to be a Christian i'd have to be dishonest to my self. I cant do that! It's just how I feel and I just felt like putting it out there.

Is there a third way to be a Christian????

I can appreciate people like Shelby Spong, who have a different concept of Christianity. They dont believe in the literal truth of the bible but just use it as a sort of springboard to a higher spiritual plane. But to me, they arn't Christians...they seem to be more like me. I'm an atheist, but I wont deny that I'm glad I have read the bible. I think the Gospels have some worth to them especially. I think I did learn stuff from the story of Jesus, and I actually still like the story. But it's still BS in a literal sense. I think all those letters are junk too. The Old Testemant is almost pure hogwash with a few jewels of wisdom scattered throughout, and a few good stories that would make really good hollywood films.

Yeah.... use the bible for the little wisdom it has, but dont take it too seriously! Thats my take.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

You could also be born with the surname Christian. Kind of being "grandfathered" in, lol.

Could someone get a medic to FunkyD's house, stat?

• Satanus
    Satanus

Logan

Jesus even said that his follower would do greater things than he. How many people have done a resurrection or walked on water in a tempestious sea? By that standard, there are no christians.

S

• Sunchild
    Sunchild
    I dont really hate Christians. Sometimes i almost envy Christians...sometimes!

...which is also something I said myself once before. *g*

At the risk of offending you or being completely off-base, to me, it sounds as though you're, well, a little scared. Not in the Fundamentalist "Secretly living in fear of Hell" type sense, but in the pure, human, and very understandable "I don't want to be hurt again" sense. You're an ex-JW; you're used to having definite answers. And now, you're living in a world where everything you "knew" was wrong, and the answers don't come easy. It's easier and safer to believe in nothing (or, as I did, in something completely and totally removed from one's past experience) than it is to believe in anything connected with the entity that spiritually raped you.

~Rochelle.

• missy04
    missy04
    missy04 or Sarah

sorry you feel insulted. I dont really hate Christians. Sometimes i almost envy Christians...sometimes! Sometimes they seem to have a peace that I'll never have, and some do do a lot of good in the community that I can admire. But I dont know, maybe they just hide their hatred better. And I dont think their "peace" has anything to do with Christ, maybe its just maturity. Is it possible to be mature and ignorant at the same time? I don't know!....maybe!

But, you know, I just can't believe in that stuff. For me to be a Christian i'd have to be dishonest to my self. I cant do that! It's just how I feel and I just felt like putting it out there.

I don't know whether they nessecarily hide their hatred better than others..I think they handle their hatred a little differently than some. (not all do though.)

As far as peace goes, I think some of the peace comes from God or Christ and some of it does come from maturity. But I believe alot of the maturity does come from God. That may be because of Jesus' teachings..

I don't know if I am explaining myself well or not. Sometimes I have a hard time getting thoughts from my head and into words.

As far as Logansrun's question as to why I am a Christian, it is mostly because of things I have experienced, I guess. For example, I ask God for things that I really need, and if I am thinking clearly enough to ask for reasonable things, I believe he gives them to me. And I know when I pray for help, he does help me. It's not just believing for no reason. I have had some really good experiences that I know came from God.

Sorry about the highlighting..text doesn't want to show up right...by the way..does anyone know what causes that or how to fix it?

• Brummie
    Brummie

I don't know if I am explaining myself well or not. Sometimes I have a hard time getting thoughts from my head and into words.

I dont think it really matter missy, I also thin that people who can only see 2 reasons for being a christian are more than shallow. God bless x x x

Brummie (I luuurve it in these shadows)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit