I'm afraid there are only 2 ways of being a true believin' Christian

by Zep 75 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Zep
    Zep

The first way is to be completely ignorant.To ignore the fact that the bible is a hopelessly flawed man made document, and all other reasoned argument and evidence that points to the non existence of the Christian God. This strategy basically involves living inside mental cocoon and closing your eyes to any alternative views. The best way to employ this tactic is to perform a whole lot repetitive and ritualistic action; a whole lot of head bowing and praying etc... etc....you know the drill!

The second way of being a true Christian is to become completely and utterly intellectually dishonest. You see this in Christians who have become aware of science, philosophy and archaeology come up with the most absurd and convoluted arguments to try and defend the authenticity of the bible and their God. Their thinking basically is the equivalent of trying to put a square peg into round hole...but they keep trying.

I suppose a Christian can employ a combination of the two tactics. But basically there are only 2 ways of being a Christian: be ignorant and/or dishonest.

merry Christmas!!!!!!

• Satanus
    Satanus

Yah, the intellectual ones have basically thrown out the parts they reject. If you did a house like that, the weather would come right in, or it would fall down. Go figure.

S

• MungoBaobab
    MungoBaobab

When I started trying to convince myself that the remains of Neanderthals were the Nephilim I decided to try a shave with Occam's razor. And let me tell you, my intellectual cheeks have never felt so silky smooth.

• missy04
    missy04

I am a Christian, and I don't consider myself ignorant. Was posting that really nessecary?

I do not want to come off as rude, but I do feel a little insulted.

Merry CHRISTmas

~Sarah

• googlemagoogle
    googlemagoogle

zep, maybe there is a third way: to just don't know the facts, and not dare to start researching them.

sarah, i'm sure you're not ignorant, but maybe you are dishonest to yourself? i was. that is, i first was way number 3, then nr. 1 then nr. 2 and then i stopped believing.

ah yeh, and merry christmas. i don't celebrate it, but i take the gifts and like the whole ambience.

• justhuman
    justhuman

Examine ALL things. Bible is a guide Book for the Soul

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

I think there's a third way. It's possible to follow (some or all of) the teachings of the biblical character Jesus without believing all of the mythology surrounding him. For some people, to be a Christian is simply to be like Christ - compassionate, contemplative, disdainful of religious hypocrisy. A story doesn't have to be literally true to have resonance.

Don't know what's come over me - must be the time of year.

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman
    Don't know what's come over me - must be the time of year.

All right...who are you and what have you done with our buddy Derek?

• Satanus
    Satanus

Derek

Right. But if a person is that kind, he can mock the other two kinds, rip the bible to shreds, live any way he wants, believe in evolution, not believe in the bible god... Ooooo, the freedom. The other christians would never consider a person like to be a true christian, not that that person would care

S

• M.J.
    M.J.

Don't discount the basis of experience. I know a guy that was raised in an athiest home and majored in geology in college but by his account, after his spiritual encouter with Christ, he totally put his faith in Christ.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit