The Global Flood

by coldfish 290 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• a Christian
    a Christian

Satanus,

You asked: Do you believe that before 'adam' there were lots of people?

Yes, I do. Bible chronology seems to indicate that only about 4,000 years passed between the creation of Adam and the birth of Christ 2,000 years ago. But paleontologists, anthropologists and archaeologists all assure us that mankind has lived on earth far longer than 6,000 years. For instance, anthropologists date the first settlement of the Americas by modern men to 15,000 B.P. (Before the Present) and their first settlements in Australia to 35,000 B.P.

To explain this apparent conflict between well established science and scripture some Bible believers have suggested that there may be gaps in the Genesis genealogies and that, if there are, Adam may have been created by God near the time scientists tell us modern man first appeared on earth. However, such an explanation does not solve the apparent conflicts here referred to because the same scientists who tell us modern man has been around for at least several tens of thousands of years also tell us that the things Adam and his direct descendants were involved in did not take place anywhere on earth prior to 10,000 years ago. These things include raising crops, herding animals, forging tools of copper and iron and building cities. (Gen. 4) So, whether or not we use Bible chronology to date God's creation of Adam, we know that the Adam described in Genesis could not have lived any earlier than 10,000 years ago.

I believe this seeming conflict between Scripture, which has Adam ("the first man") being created six to ten thousand years ago, and well established human history, which tells us that man has lived on earth far longer than 10,000 years, is easily resolved by understanding that the Bible does not tell us that Adam was, in an absolute chronological sense, "the first man." The only place in Scripture Adam is referred to as the "first" man is in 1 Cor.15:45-47. There Adam is called "the first man." But there we also find that Jesus is called "the second man." The context shows that the writer of those words was referring to Adam as the "first" man only in his relative chronological position to Christ. In other words, since Adam came "first" and Christ came "second," Adam came before Christ.

You asked: Was this test done on two individuals, or does 'adam' and 'eve' mean a group to you?

I believe Adam and Eve were two real people created by God and placed in a garden which was located not too far from where other people were already then living. The Bible always refers to Adam as a real person. For instance, he is listed as the first human ancestor of Jesus Christ. (Luke 3:38)

This understanding also answers the often asked questions, "Where did Cain get his wife?" and "Who were the people living in the land 'east of Eden' whom Cain was afraid might kill him?" Gen. 4:14-17

Mike

• AlanF
    AlanF

Thanks for replying, Mike. Because Norm Hovland is visiting us right now, and your thoughtful reply deserves much more of an answer than time permits me now, I'll hold off further comment until I have it.

AlanF

• Satanus
    Satanus

Mike

Ok. Going along w your explanation, a couple of other questions come up. Did god also create those other preadamic people, or did they evolve? Had god introduced himself to them? Had they been sinful? If so, why do another test? Why not use some of them for testing instead of making new subjects?

S

• a Christian
    a Christian

Satanus, You asked: Ok. Going along w your explanation, a couple of other questions come up. Did god also create those other preadamic people, or did they evolve? I believe God "created" man by putting into highly evolved primates such things as moral consciences and a desire to find answers to life's greatest questions. I believe God also then gave His new creations eternal spirits.

Before saying that the Genesis account of creation can not be understood to support evolution as God's means of creation we should remember that Genesis uses the Hebrew word for "create," Bara, only in describing God's bringing into existence the heavens and earth, life in the sea and mankind. All other kinds of life, vegetation and animals, Genesis tells us, were not directly "created" by God but were "produced" by "the land."(vs.11,12, 24) Hebrew lexicons tell us that "Bara," Hebrew for "create," refers to "the initiation" of something, while the Hebrew words translated as "produced" refer to "the fashioning of", or the changing shape of, preexisting materials. These things being so, I believe Genesis chapter one not only allows for the possibility that God used evolutionary processes to bring about all life on earth, but actually teaches us that He did so. I understand Genesis 1:26-30 as telling us of God's creation of the human race prior to His creation of Adam and Eve. I understand Genesis 2 as telling us of God's later creation of Adam and Eve. You asked: Had god introduced himself to them [ pre-adamic men] ? Not in the personal way He later did with Adam. However, God had introduced Himself to the human race earlier in other ways. You asked: Had they been sinful? Yes, in much the same way we all are sinful. Romans 3:23 tells us that "sin" is "falling short of the glory of God." Because we are all less righteous than God we are all "sinful." And so were they. However, they were largely unaware of their sinful condition, since no laws other than the law of their own consciences had ever been given them. You asked: If so, why do another test? The command God gave to Adam was not "another test." It was the first test. No direct command or "law" from God had ever been given to any member of the human race before. As Paul clearly indicates us in Rom. 5:12-14, Adam was the first man to "sin" by "breaking a command." You asked: Why not use some of them for testing instead of making new subjects? I believe God wanted to tell the story of His previous creation of mankind by creating a microcosm of that creation in Eden. I believe in order to tell this story properly God had to create two brand new people. First of all, I believe God purposely derived the name "Adam" for his newly created man whom He placed in Eden from the race of people He had earlier created and called "man." (Gen. 1:27) ( The Hebrew word for "man" is 'adam.) Why would God do that? Because I believe He intended for the story of Adam and Eve in Eden to mirror His creation of the race called "man" ('adam) He had previously created. God created Adam, not from nothing, but from from the dust of the ground, which when viewed under a microscope is seen to be filled with life, just as He had previously created the human race from pre-existing life. God gave Adam a wife who came from his own gene pool, small as it was, just as the wives He had given to the men He had earlier created had come from their own gene pools. God had a very special relationship with Adam and Eve, as His relationship with the previously created human race was very special in much the same way. God gave Adam and Eve a garden home in the middle of a barren land, just as the home He previously gave to the human race was the only "garden spot" in our barren solar system, and possibly the only "garden spot" in our entire barren universe. God made all the animals in Eden subject to Adam and Eve, just as He had earlier subjected all animals on earth to the human race He had previously created. God allowed Adam and eve to be tempted by Satan just as He had previously allowed all members of the human race to be tempted by various forms of evil, temptations they too gave into. God arranged things so that Adam and Eve would acquire an intimate "knowledge of good AND evil," in order for them to gain a personal knowledge of why God's ways are best, a knowledge that would serve them well for all eternity. He had earlier done the same thing for the entire human race.

God offered to give eternal life to Adam and Eve if they could manage to live truly righteous lives, which meant obeying God even in what some might consider to be a very "trivial" matter. He had made essentially the same offer to all members of the human race He had previously created, though it was an unspoken offer and the "trivial" commands they had to obey to receive eternal life were all those which came from their God-given consciences. Because Adam and Eve showed themselves to be less than perfectly righteous God judged them to be unworthy of eternal life. God had, for the same reason, also judged all members of the human race He had previously created to be unworthy of eternal life. Because Adam and Eve proved themselves to be unworthy of eternal life, God expelled them from their garden home and condemned Adam to return to the dust from which he came. God had, in effect, earlier done the same thing to the race called "man" He had previously created. God covered Adam and Eve's shameful condition, their nakedness, with coverings (animal skins) He Himself had made, coverings which required the shedding of blood. Just as God Himself had earlier made provision for covering over the shameful (sinful) condition of the entire human race He had previously created. A provision He made by means of a "Lamb slain from the foundation of the world." (Rev. 13:8) As I said, I believe that the story of Adam and Eve in Eden was meant by God to illustrate that no human being, being less righteous than God, is deserving of eternal life. But it is also meant to illustrate that because we are always less righteous than God we are always in need of His forgiveness even when we have not recently committed any "sinful" act. I believe this lesson was illustrated by Adam and Eve being totally unaware of their nakedness before God until after they had committed a blatant act of disobedience. (Nakedness is a condition always portrayed as shameful in the scriptures.) Then, suddenly, after they had "sinned" they became aware of their nakedness and felt the need to "hide from God." Just as we often only become aware of our shameful condition before God after committing some "sinful act." And just as we then often feel ashamed of ourselves and try to hide from God by withdrawing from Him by not praying or by not attending Church, etc., until we finally get over our guilt. However, the fact is, we are no more worthy to stand in the presence of a perfect God before committing a "sinful act" than we are after doing so. Just as Adam and Eve were, in reality, just as naked before they disobeyed God as they were after doing so. They just didn't realize it. I could elaborate further on this same theme. But I think you now understand how I understand the story of Adam and Eve, and why I think God's choice of the name "Adam" for the man He created and placed in Eden was a very appropriate one. For I believe Adam's experiences in Eden were meant to serve as a microcosm of God's previous creation of the human race, telling that very important story in small scale.

• coldfish
    coldfish

Very interesting posts Mike. That's the first time I've ever heard thoughts and opinions along those lines. It seems the deeper I delve into research the less answers and more questions I have!

• justhuman
    justhuman

First of all: There is NO global flood.The flood that was mentioned in the Bible it took place in the Mesopatamia region. Plus we have a floods that occured during the ages. The last one took place 10.500 ago, when the Ice Age finished. We have many accounts in human history of floods.From Greece (and Greeks have not one but THREE major floods, and these floods indicates to us that human history is not just 6000 years but much older) to Australia to Indians to Chineese.

We have written records from Greece that indicate to us human history more than 10.500, Chinas records go back 6000 years, and Egyptian records again 10.500. This records include the reigns of the Kings, and Astronomical Observations that they are the most accurate to establish a chronological event.

There is also something that the WT never told us. That there are TWO Bible Texts regarding the Genesis account. The translation of the 70 and the Masoritic text. The last one goes back 7500 years and it is exactly the time of the Mesopotamian civilazation starts to exist.

The Watchtower NEVER explain to us the passage in Genesis that God have seen His works and they were okey. In the Greek text it says- lian kala - λίαν καλά - that means the creation was GOOD, NOT PERFECT. There is a lot of difference from being GOOD and PERFECT. And Adam was created GOOD.

In the Greek Orthodox faith Adam received the Spirit of God and was created in the Spiritual sense. God gave to Adam the Soul and this is God's gift to humans. So humans have a Soul by the Grace of God.

Adam was living in Mesopotamia and the Genesis account it is dealing with descendants of Adam. Again in Genesis account we have Cain that left and went and created a city. To creat a city means that they were also many other people living at that time and couldn't just be ONLY his sisters and brothers.

So if there was a global flood how come pyramids were build from the years 2700-2450 few years before the Flood that was supposed to bring down everything?

And if the earth was flooded how come we have all these pypyrus in Egypt and mammies that haven't been destroyed from water? Because pypyrus and mammies NEED A DRY PLACE

Because if the flood covered and Egypt also, water would have destroyed EVERYTHING. In fact Egypt has been a dry place for more than 12.000 years.

How come and we have a specific kind of animal species in the Globe that are living in specific places? For instance kangooro's are found only in Australia, Pandas in China, iguanas only in Calambago Islands, and Polar Bears in the Poles?

Earth surface and climate has been changing all the time. As a result of this changes continents were communicating with each other. After MILLIONS of years they split and only trough water someone could communicate. Animals start to adjust accordingly to the climate conditions that they had to face in order to survive. We find prehistoric humans livivg among with animals that ceased to exist tens of thousands of years ago, and we can see this at their cave paintings. Long ago before the Neolithic era 12.500 years ago.

Indeed we find Australopithicus, Homo Erectus, Neantertal that they were humanoids. There is NO wrong for Evolution, specially if God guided this process.

So the Bible is not a historic book or an ORGANIZATIONAL book. It deals with the salvation of the SOUL.

• Norm
    Norm

Reading the discussion about the flood, Adam and such, makes me wonder about a whole lot of things.
    Adam is no doubt a mythical figure, just as Moses, Abraham, the patriarchs and the whole spiel about
    the exodus.

When it comes to the idea of the "ransome sacrifice" it seems particularly ludicrous.
    Only extremely superstitious, primitive and legalistic people could come up with the silly idea
    that "God" had to arrange anything into such nonsensical legal mumbo jumbo that one "perfect" life
    should "atone" for all mankind. "I just have to get my son killed and then all will be all right."

It really must be an unforgiving task to try to make sense of the incredible nonsense in the Bible
    about the flood, Adam etc. I really don't understand what's the use. Why not simply be satisfied
    with the fact that this is something you just have to believe.Accept it on faith.
    The WT Society has tried to "explain" all matter of things in the Bible and look at all the
    complete rot they have produced.

The God of the Bible is the last person who should have the audacity to blab about "sin".
    As an ordinary human being I can say with conviction that I am a far better person then he is, as
    is most human beings. If anyone should ask for forgiveness it must be the Biblical God, we
    human beings are simply incapable of committing such acts of cruelty and barbarisms as God has
    committed. As a father I would never treat my children in such a horrible way as he has treated
    his alleged "children". As an example to us, he must be the worst ever.

Norm

• Satanus
    Satanus

Mike

Ok, thanks. I just wanted to generally understand your concept of the whole thing.

S

• AlanF
    AlanF

Mike, thanks for posting that information from Carl. I'm glad to know that he at least leaves the question of all of humanity's being destroyed in Noah's Flood open, although I'm disappointed that he doesn't outright reject this contrary-to-fact idea.

:: I'd like to know your take on how your view of the Flood affects the rest of the Bible's believability. Plenty of believers strongly insist that if the Flood were not a real, global event that wiped out the human race, much of the Christian message is damaged or pointless ...

: I understand why many Christians feel this way. For one thing, they understand that if the flood of Noah's day was not global, or at least not universal in its destruction of the human race, then we are not all Noah's descendants. And, if we are not, then maybe we are not all even the literal descendents of the "Adam" of Genesis. And if we are not, then why do we need Jesus? Don't we only need Jesus because of the sin we inherited from Adam ?

That's essentially the problem. There are, of course, many relevant details.

: I understand why many Christians feel this way. But I think there is no need for them to worry. I think their concerns are largely based on a misunderstanding of Christ's Ransom and a misunderstanding of the events in Eden. This is, of course a bit of a long story. I'll do my best to be brief.

I think it's difficult to be brief on this subject because of the many details.

: I understand that Christ died to pay for the sins of all mankind, not just to pay for Adam's sins. I believe God used Adam and Eve as representatives of the human race to demonstrate the fact that all human beings are incapable of living perfectly righteous lives. And, because we all are incapable of doing so, none of us deserves to live forever. And, because we are all unworthy of eternal life, we can only hope to receive it as a gift from a Creator who is willing to overlook all of our unrighteousness.

Immediately we see a huge set of problems -- the things that I call "details". First, no one in his right mind would think that killing you to atone for the sins of Hitler's Gestapo in WWII would actually do so. It would be a gross miscarriage of justice, because the one killing has no relation to the other 'sins'. Second, no supernatural being with access to the "design specifications" of humans would need to be convinced by an actual demonstration that the things designed in by an omnipotent and perfectly competent Designer are really there. They would simply have to 'read' the 'specs'. And of course, the imperfectly designed humans would be in no position to judge, so they wouldn't count. Furthermore, the question is raised: What's the point of a Supreme Designer making a group of somewhat intelligent beings who are unable to do what He obviously wants, namely, live "perfectly righteous lives"? What's the further point of putting to death a man who was deliberately created to be an obvious exception to the rule to "atone" for the design flaws that the Supreme Designer put there in the first place? All that the Designer has to do is change his design. Easy -- no fuss, no muss, no incomprehensible and contrary-to-our-sense-of-justice shenanigans needed. Finally, if this Supreme Designer really wanted mankind to live forever, why didn't he just make them with what they needed in the first place? Why the long, tortuous and torturous road?

: The Genesis account clearly indicates that Adam and Eve were created mortal, with a dying nature just like us. The story of Adam and Eve told in Genesis makes clear that their being able to live forever was not a part of their original physical nature. Rather, Adam and Eve's ability to live forever depended entirely on their eating from a tree "in the middle of the garden" of Eden, "the tree of life".(Genesis 2:9)

All of this makes far more sense than the infantile and demonstrably ridiculous notions of the JWs, I'll grant that.

: Genesis tells us that Adam and Eve were going to be allowed to continue to eat from that tree only if they passed a God given test, a test which we are told they failed. After failing that test God expelled Adam and Eve from Eden and prevented them from ever again eating from "the tree of life".

Again, why a test of the obvious?

: Genesis indicates that had Adam and Eve been allowed to continue eating from "the tree of life" their lives would have been prolonged indefinitely.(Genesis 3:22-24) But when God prevented them from ever again eating from "the tree of life" they died what were apparently natural deaths.

All of which, to me, loudly shouts "Ancient Mythology!"

Good Lord, man! The account even credits God for inventing the first weapon of war -- the sword -- long before it was ever used by mankind. Doesn't that tell you something?

: A careful reading of the Genesis account shows us that living forever would have been as unnatural for Adam and Eve as it would now be for us.

In your interpretation of Genesis, that again is far more in accord with reality than the notions of JWs and other Fundamentalists.

: Genesis does not indicate that Adam and Eve originally had eternal life programmed into their genetic codes by God and later had their genetic codes reprogrammed by God in order to remove eternal life from those codes. Rather, Genesis indicates that Adam and Eve would have lived forever only if God had graciously given them eternal life from an outside source, "the tree of life".

Once again, why not build mankind properly the first time around?

: Most objections to this natural reading of Genesis come from those who adhere to the doctrine of "The Fall" of mankind. This doctrine is based on what I believe is a misunderstanding of the apostle Paul's words in Romans 5:12-20 and 1 Cor. 15:21,22.

I'll quote these passages here, from the NWT since most readers will be most familiar with the rendering:

Romans 5:12-20:

12 That is why, just as through one man sin entered into the world and death through sin, and thus death spread to all men because they had all sinned?. 13 For until the Law sin was in the world, but sin is not charged against anyone when there is no law. 14 Nevertheless, death ruled as king from Adam down to Moses, even over those who had not sinned after the likeness of the transgression by Adam, who bears a resemblance to him that was to come. 15 But it is not with the gift as it was with the trespass. For if by one man?s trespass many died, the undeserved kindness of God and his free gift with the undeserved kindness by the one man Jesus Christ abounded much more to many. 16 Also, it is not with the free gift as it was with the way things worked through the one [man] that sinned. For the judgment resulted from one trespass in condemnation, but the gift resulted from many trespasses in a declaration of righteousness. 17 For if by the trespass of the one [man] death ruled as king through that one, much more will those who receive the abundance of the undeserved kindness and of the free gift of righteousness rule as kings in life through the one [person], Jesus Christ. 18 So, then, as through one trespass the result to men of all sorts was condemnation, likewise also through one act of justification the result to men of all sorts is a declaring of them righteous for life. 19 For just as through the disobedience of the one man many were constituted sinners, likewise also through the obedience of the one [person] many will be constituted righteous. . 20 Now the Law came in beside in order that trespassing might abound. But where sin abounded, undeserved kindness abounded still more.

1 Cor. 15:21,22:

21 For since death is through a man, resurrection of the dead is also through a man. 22 For just as in Adam all are dying, so also in the Christ all will be made alive.

I think you have to admit that, on first reading, the traditional JW/Fundamentalist interpretation has a lot going for it.

: Romans 5:12 tells us that "sin entered into the world through one man, and death through sin." But as we read further we find that the kind of "sin" that first entered into the world through Adam, the "sin", which was responsible for bringing about his "death", was the "sin" of "breaking a command".(verse 14) And we are told that the kind of sin committed by Adam "is not taken into account (or "imputed" - KJV, NAS) when there is no law." (verse 13)

So far so good.

: Because these verses tell us that Adam was the first man to sin by "breaking a command" from God, it follows that the "death" that "entered into the world" as a result of Adam's new kind of sin would have been Adam's new kind of death, death as a penalty imposed by God for "breaking a command" from God.

Basically reasonable, except that it's setting up for the huge leap of logic that's addressed below.

: However, other verses have added to the confusion.

What? Confusion from God's Word?

: Romans 5:15,17 and 18 tell us that "many died by the trespass of one man", "death reigned through that one man" and "as a result of one trespass was condemnation for all men." 1 Cor. 15:21,22 repeats this same thought by saying that "death came through a man" and "in Adam all die."

Right.

: Many Bible readers say that these verses clearly indicate that all people today have "inherited" a "fallen" or "sinful" nature from Adam. And they say that it is this "fallen" nature inherited by us, as a result of Adam's disobedience, that brings upon us God's condemnation. They maintain that these verses prove that human beings were not "sinful" creatures until after Adam's spiritual, physical and genetic natures were somehow radically changed at the time he disobeyed God in Eden. Then, they say, when Adam fathered children after his nature had been corrupted, his children and all their descendants inherited Adam's "corrupted", "fallen", "sinful" nature.

A good description of JW/Fundamentalist doctrine.

: Advocates of "The Fall" doctrine insist that unless we have all "inherited" a "fallen" nature from Adam we do not all need God's forgiveness through Jesus Christ, as the Bible tells us we all do. (Romans 3:23,24; 1 John 2:2)

I'll again quote these from the NWT:

Romans 3:23,24:

23 For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, 24 and it is as a free gift that they are being declared righteous by his undeserved kindness through the release by the ransom [paid] by Christ Jesus.

1 John 2:1,2:

2 My little children, I am writing YOU these things that YOU may not commit a sin. And yet, if anyone does commit a sin, we have a helper with the Father, Jesus Christ, a righteous one. 2 And he is a propitiatory sacrifice for our sins, yet not for ours only but also for the whole world?s.

Now we come to the crux of the matter. First I'll quote you entirely, then requote sentences and comment on them.

: However, I believe this understanding of the Ransom is incorrect. I believe the key to properly understanding all of Pauls words on this subject matter is found in Romans 5:19. There Paul wrote,"By one man's disobedience many were constituted sinners." (Romans 5:19, Amplified Bible) I believe Paul was able to say this because Adam, serving as God's chosen representative of the whole human race, demonstrated by his disobedience that all human beings are "sinners." ( If Adam in paradise, without a care in the world, was unable to resist sin, what chance do any of us have in doing so? ) So, after Adam failed a simple God given test of his righteousness, God had good reason to condemn the entire human race as being undeserving of eternal life.

: The Bible clearly tells us that God will hold each one of us responsible for his or her own unrighteousness, not for Adam's. (Romans 14:10-12, 2 Corinthians 5:10) And the Scriptures say that we all need the forgiveness God offers us through Jesus Christ, because we have all personally "sinned" and have all personally "fallen short of the glory of God." (Romans 3:23)
    These things being so, we do not all have to be Noah's descendents, or Adam's for that matter, to need God's forgiveness. We do not have to be Adam's physical descendents to be considered to be "sinners." For Adam's sin has been "imputed" to us, because of what he did. In the same way, we do not have to be physical descendents of Jesus to be considered by God to be "righteous ones." For Christ's righteousness is "credited" to believers, as a result of what He did.

Here are my detailed comments:

: I believe the key to properly understanding all of Pauls words on this subject matter is found in Romans 5:19. There Paul wrote,"By one man's disobedience many were constituted sinners." (Romans 5:19, Amplified Bible)

In English, in the sense used here, "constitute" means "to appoint to an office, function or dignity; to set up, establish, enact, found; to legally process".

In the Greek text of Romans 5:19, "constitute" is from the root word kathistemi which means (BAGD 3rd ed. p. 492) "to take someone somewhere, bring, conduct, take; to assign someone a position of authority, appoint, put in charge; cause someone to experience something, make, cause". BADG puts the usage in Rom. 5:19 in the latter category, with the extra comment "in possible legal sense". The Exegetical Dictionary of the New Testament, Vol. 2 (ed. by Horst Balz and Gerhard Schneider, Eerdman's, 1991, pp. 225-6) says that the meaning is "conduct, appoint, bring about", and comments on the word's use in Rom. 5:19 as follows:

In Rom 5:19 Paul refers to the eschatological judicial act of installation in the realm of righteousness or of sin: In Christ's all-encompassing obedience, which determines all destiny, God establishes his eschatological righteousness as a judicial verdict that will restore for the polloi -- the believers, the members of Christ -- the relationship to this righteousness. In retrospect, according to Paul, it becomes apparent -- with the acceptance of the corporate anthrwpos doctrine -- that Adam's disobedience has established the unrighteousness of humankind. This judicial act of kathistemi, which eschatologically determines and divides history, has a christological basis in that the person and destiny of Christ are both comprehended in the eschatological kathistemi of God (cf. kathistemi in the interpretations of Psalms 2, 8, and 110 in Heb 2:6-10; 5:1-10; 7:21-28). The eschatological legal expression in the word kathistemi is derived in both Hebrews and Paul from the presupposed mystery of the fate and dignity of the Son of Man ...

In other words, God simply declares that all men are sinners -- not sinners in an inherent sense, but as a judicial verdict -- based on "Adam's disobedience". The problem here, of course, that this declaration is a good example of the fallacy called "hasty generalization", in which the size of the sample is too small to support the conclusion. In other words, just because Adam and Eve disobeyed God does not automatically mean that the rest of mankind are unable to obey God, i.e., that they are all "sinners". This is made even more apparent by your comments to Satanus in posts below: "I believe Adam and Eve were two real people created by God and placed in a garden which was located not too far from where other people were already then living" and "I believe in order to tell this story properly God had to create two brand new people." If they were created brand new, from scratch, then they weren't even related to other humans, except that they would have shared the same basic blueprint. If the Bible says that God himself can make such a fallacious judgment, what does that say about God?

Now, you might argue that this fallacious demonstration was not actually necessary, because it can be demonstrated in other ways that mankind is "unrighteous". But if you do, then you've obviated the necessity for the demonstration you say was provided by Adam and Eve.

Given the above, let's note that your argument proceeds right along this fallacious path:

: I believe Paul was able to say this because Adam, serving as God's chosen representative of the whole human race, demonstrated by his disobedience that all human beings are "sinners."

See what I mean?

: ( If Adam in paradise, without a care in the world, was unable to resist sin, what chance do any of us have in doing so? )

This is a horrible argument. Adam had no experience (according to Genesis) outside the Garden. Eve herself was probably extremely young by comparison, perhaps only hours or days old (they almost certainly had not yet had sex, since the context of the story demands this), and so she was even more inexperienced. It's simply not fair by any rules to allow a superhumanly intelligent being like Satan to tempt such people -- even if, as the Bible says, "Adam was not deceived". Furthermore, experienced people living under much more difficult circumstances -- people with plenty of "cares in the world" -- would be far better able to resist the temptations of a deceiver. Who of us today isn't completely innoculated against TV advertisements?

: So, after Adam failed a simple God given test of his righteousness, God had good reason to condemn the entire human race as being undeserving of eternal life.

Nope. That's a completely fallacious test. It's also easy to see that this test is an example of the fallacy called "the unrepresentative sample", where the sample used in an inductive inference is relevantly different from the population as a whole. Just because the brand new and unique Adam failed a test doesn't mean that all other men must fail.

: The Bible clearly tells us that God will hold each one of us responsible for his or her own unrighteousness, not for Adam's. (Romans 14:10-12, 2 Corinthians 5:10)

But that completely contradicts the arguments you've made above. If each human is unable to perfectly obey God (is inherently "unrighteous"), and demonstrates it during his or her course of life, then the test of Adam and Eve is irrelevant. Conversely, if that test were needed, then all humans are, by their created nature -- not individually, as a result of specific actions -- "unrighteous". You can't have it both ways.

: And the Scriptures say that we all need the forgiveness God offers us through Jesus Christ, because we have all personally "sinned" and have all personally "fallen short of the glory of God." (Romans 3:23)

But this contradicts Romans 5:19, which says that God constituted or judicially declared mankind to be sinners.

: These things being so, we do not all have to be Noah's descendents, or Adam's for that matter, to need God's forgiveness. We do not have to be Adam's physical descendents to be considered to be "sinners."

Yes, if these things are so.

: For Adam's sin has been "imputed" to us, because of what he did.

Geez. I sin and God imputes unrighteousness to and says you ought not to live forever. What a nice God!

: In the same way, we do not have to be physical descendents of Jesus to be considered by God to be "righteous ones." For Christ's righteousness is "credited" to believers, as a result of what He did.

Which would be entirely unnecessary if proper logic were followed.

In conclusion:

: I think believers who "strongly insist that, if the Flood was not a real, global event that wiped out the human race, much of the Christian message is damaged or pointless," simply misunderstand the scriptures.

On the contrary, I think that at least some of them understand the logical difficulties in your argument. Of course, they substitute their own. In neither case are the difficulties solved. Indeed, attempts to argue around the difficulties only increase them, as I believe this post shows.

I also want to comment on your first post to Satanus:

: You asked: Do you believe that before 'adam' there were lots of people?

: Yes, I do. Bible chronology seems to indicate that only about 4,000 years passed between the creation of Adam and the birth of Christ 2,000 years ago. But paleontologists, anthropologists and archaeologists all assure us that mankind has lived on earth far longer than 6,000 years. For instance, anthropologists date the first settlement of the Americas by modern men to 15,000 B.P. (Before the Present) and their first settlements in Australia to 35,000 B.P.

There's a lot more to this than the settlement of the Americas and Australia by modern humans several tens of thousands of years ago. Almost every year, new discoveries of hominid fossils are made that, taken together, indicate a history of human-like creatures 5-7 million years old, depending on how "human-like" is defined. The hominids now called Homo ergaster and Homo erectus (ca 2 to .5 million years ago) were extremely human-like in their bodies, but not in their skulls, and it's apparent that they were toolmakers. Neanderthals had things in common culturally with modern humans, burying their dead with ornaments and so forth. They originated at least 250,000 years ago and died out not earlier than 28,000 years ago. Homo sapiens has existed in modern form for some 100,000 to 150,000 years, and specimens called Archaic Homo sapiens are dated to well over 500,000 years ago.

: To explain this apparent conflict between well established science and scripture some Bible believers have suggested that there may be gaps in the Genesis genealogies and that, if there are, Adam may have been created by God near the time scientists tell us modern man first appeared on earth.

Given the above information, can you understand the difficulties that even your much more reasonable view of evolution creates? Why would God tolerate several million years of terrible living conditions for his intelligent or semi-intelligent creatures? Has he no compassion?

: However, such an explanation does not solve the apparent conflicts here referred to because the same scientists who tell us modern man has been around for at least several tens of thousands of years also tell us that the things Adam and his direct descendants were involved in did not take place anywhere on earth prior to 10,000 years ago. These things include raising crops, herding animals, forging tools of copper and iron and building cities. (Gen. 4) So, whether or not we use Bible chronology to date God's creation of Adam, we know that the Adam described in Genesis could not have lived any earlier than 10,000 years ago.

Fair enough. But that really doesn't solve a host of difficulties, many of which I haven't even touched on.

I'll leave the rest of your post for further discussion.

AlanF

• a Christian
    a Christian

Alan

You wrote: First, no one in his right mind would think that killing you to atone for the sins of Hitler's Gestapo in WWII would actually do so.

To begin with, God did not kill Jesus Christ to pay for our sins. Jesus said," I lay down my life?only to take it up again. No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord.? (John 10:17,18) Next, as Psalm 49:7 tells us, ?No man can by any means redeem his brother Or give to God a ransom for him.? So, According to the Bible, my sinful life would not be sufficient payment to redeem even one person, let alone all of Hitler?s Gestapo. But it tells us the life of Jesus Christ was a sufficient payment.

Why did Christ have to die to pay for our sins? And how did His death make that payment?

God's standards are very high. He long ago decreed that only those who are perfectly righteous are worthy of eternal life. This makes sense to me. I don?t want a lot of evil people around me, ruining my eternity. Or for that matter, even decent corruptible people, people who are capable of doing evil, who might eventually become evil and later on begin ruining my eternity.

Of course, this meant that God had in effect also decreed that all who are not perfectly righteous must die. And that meant all humans. For God had deliberately created mankind to be less righteous than Himself. Why? Because He wanted to create people with whom He could have a loving relationship. But since true love can be neither forced nor programmed, God had to create us as free people. Free to choose to love God and His ways or to not love God and His ways. In other words, free to do both right and wrong, free to do both good and evil. Because we can do wrong and often do, and because God can't do wrong and never does, we are less righteous than God. And, because we are, none of us deserves to live forever. That means all human beings have, in effect, from their births been condemned by God to die. Not because of anything Adam did, but because we ourselves all fall short of the glory of God. (Romans 3:23)

But despite God's extremely high standards, like most loving parents, God has always wanted to give His children more than they deserve. But God had already decreed that only those who are perfectly righteous are deserving of eternal life. Thus He had, in effect, demanded that a very high price be paid for billions of unrighteous human lives. That price was billions of eternal human deaths. On the other hand, God wanted to give every human being the gift of eternal life, even though none of us deserved it, and even though His own high standards prohibited him from giving us that gift. Fortunately for us all, God found a way to offer all of us the gift of eternal life without violating His own high standards pertaining to who is deserving of that gift.

The Bible tells us that God did this by allowing His only begotten Son to pay for the unrighteousness of billions of human beings with His own life. But how could God consider only one lost life, actually less than three days of lost life, to have equal or greater value than many billions of permanently lost human lives? He could do so because He considered the days of life which His only begotten Son, Jesus Christ, gave up to be more valuable than many billions of permanently lost human lives. Why? Because God knew that Jesus Christ was far more than a human being. God also knew that Jesus Christ was far more than "a perfect man," or "Adam's equal" as JWs like to call Him. God knew that Jesus Christ, as His only begotten Son, was God. Jesus Christ was God?s ?Only Begotten Son.? Humans beget humans. God begets God. And because Jesus Christ was God, His Father considered His death and His lost days of life which followed His death, to be worth more than many billions of permanently lost human lives.

In order to buy us eternal life, Jesus Christ offered His Father His own life in payment for our sins. His Father accepted that payment. But His Father required something else. He decreed that everyone wishing to accept His gift of eternal life must be ?born again.? They must begin living their lives differently. They must begin living their lives as righteously as possible, looking to the One who died for them as their example. They must become disciples of Jesus Christ. Now that sounds like a lot to demand. And I guess in a way it is. However, God promised to send Christ?s followers a ?Helper? to assist them in successfully living their new more righteous lives. That ?Helper? is God?s ?Holy Spirit.?

However, we know that, even with the help of God?s Holy Spirit, no Christian ever manages to live a perfectly righteous life. For, as is often said, ?Christians are not perfect. We are just forgiven.? Now that doesn?t sound too bad now. But later on it could be a problem. For, as I said earlier, I don?t want any bad people around me, ruining my eternity. Or, for that matter, any corruptible people around me, people who might eventually become evil, ruining my eternity. Fortunately for us, God has taken care of that potential problem. For He has promised that to those whom He gives eternal life He will also make ?incorruptible.?

So then all who truly wish to live perfectly righteous lives will be able to do so. (1 Cor. 15:42-54)

Some have said that any God who demanded or even allowed His own Son to die to pay for our sins would have to be a very evil God. I don?t see it that way. I believe it clearly shows God?s perfect justice, His great mercy and His amazing love. For the Bible tells us that God loves us all so much that He was willing to buy us all eternal life, even though to do so He had to pay for it "with His own blood." (Acts 20:28)

You wrote: Second, no supernatural being with access to the "design specifications" of humans would need to be convinced by an actual demonstration that the things designed in by an omnipotent and perfectly competent Designer are really there.

God did not need to be convinced. The ?demonstration? was done for us.

You wrote: the imperfectly designed humans would be in no position to judge, so they wouldn't count.

I disagree. Many ?imperfectly designed humans? now maintain that the only reason we ever do anything wrong is because of our difficult circumstances. The ?demonstration? staged in Eden proves them wrong.

You wrote: Furthermore, the question is raised: What's the point of a Supreme Designer making a group of somewhat intelligent beings who are unable to do what He obviously wants, namely, live "perfectly righteous lives"?

What God wanted was to have children who would love Him of their own free will and who would want to live ?perfectly righteous lives.? To gain such children He had to create a race of people who were incapable of living ?perfectly righteous lives.? Because to give us ?free will? God had to make us ?corruptible.? And ?corruptible? people are not perfectly righteous. For God is perfectly righteous. And God is ?incorruptible.? (1 Tim. 1:17)

You wrote: What's the further point of putting to death a man who was deliberately created to be an obvious exception to the rule to "atone" for the design flaws that the Supreme Designer put there in the first place?

God did not put Adam to death. He allowed him to die a natural death. A death he was designed to experience.

You wrote: All that the Designer has to do is change his design. ? if this Supreme Designer really wanted mankind to live forever, why didn't he just make them with what they needed in the first place? Why the long, tortuous and torturous road?

God did not want us all to live forever. He only wanted the ones of us who loved Him and who wanted to live righteous lives to live forever. He also allows many of us the opportunity to experience difficult circumstances to demonstrate how deeply we love for God and righteousness. It?s easy to do right when things are going well. But what happens when the going gets tough? Surely you remember the Bible?s story of Job. Tough times also build character. Character that will serve us well for all eternity.

I wrote: Genesis indicates that had Adam and Eve been allowed to continue eating from "the tree of life" their lives would have been prolonged indefinitely.(Genesis 3:22-24) But when God prevented them from ever again eating from "the tree of life" they died what were apparently natural deaths.

You replied: All of which, to me, loudly shouts "Ancient Mythology!"

I believe "the tree of life", which Adam and Eve had to eat from to gain eternal life, was meant to represent Jesus Christ. (Rev. 2:7) I guess someone could say that any and all Biblical symbolisms remind them of ancient mythology.

You wrote: Good Lord, man! The account even credits God for inventing the first weapon of war -- the sword -- long before it was ever used by mankind. Doesn't that tell you something?

Yes, it tells me you have not paid close attention to what I have been saying. Remember, it is my position that Adam was not literally the first man. He was placed in the Garden of Eden by God about 4,000 years before the birth of Christ, in the middle of an already widely populated world, a world full of people who were almost certainly already forging metals and using swords.

Alan, I will try to respond to the rest of what you wrote when I get time in the next few days.

Mike

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit