The Global Flood

by coldfish 290 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• a Christian
    a Christian

XQs, You wrote: You also are mistaken about Noah preachin to people. God says that only the great 8 will survive regardless of if it is local or global. So that means even if people wanted to be saved they would still be killed.

The Genesis account says no such thing. In Gen. 6 God tells Noah that he and his family will be spared but God does not say, "Absolutely no one else will be." Genesis does not tell us the whole story of Noah and the flood. How do we know it does not? Because Genesis never mentions any preaching work done by Noah. Yet the apostle Peter, in 2 Peter 2:5, tells us that Noah was, "a preacher of righteousness." Why is this fact relevant to this discussion? Because the message which preachers of righteousness have always preached, as Peter himself well knew since he preached that message, was, "Repent and receive God's forgiveness." (Acts 3:19; 8:22) So, for Noah to have been a "preacher of righteousness," he must have preached a message which called for repentance, and which offered all those who did repent God's forgiveness and His protection from the Judgment which Noah said would soon come upon the residents of his land.

Alan, You refer to: "the Bible's claim that all humans except eight were killed at that time."

As you know, many understand the Bible's use of the word "all" in this case to have a much more limited meaning. To begin with, the Hebrew word translated as "all" in the Genesis flood account can, and clearly does at times elsewhere in the OT, have a more limited meaning than our English word "all". However, even if this word was used in the Genesis flood account in the same way we normally understand the word "all" - if, as many believe, Genesis is describing a large local flood - then the Hebrew word commonly translated as "all" was simply used to tell us that "all" people except eight were killed in the land of Noah, the land which was then flooded.

Mike

• XQsThaiPoes
    XQsThaiPoes

AF you are right but the bible itself conflicts the flood account. Tribes and cities that were destoryed in the flood reappear uninterupted a few pages later. Take Jerico. It is one of the worlds oldest cities it is almost 9000 years old. How in hell did gideon fight them if the flood should have killed them?

• garybuss
    garybuss

HEBREW UNIVERSE
    From page 542 Twentieth Century Bible Commentary
    Edited by G. Henton Davies, Alan Richardson, Charles L. Wallis
    1932, 1955 Harper & Brothers New York, NY

• AlanF
    AlanF

A Christian said:

: Alan, You refer to: "the Bible's claim that all humans except eight were killed at that time."

Indeed I did. I don't agree with people who attempt to excuse the biblical text from the facts by claiming that it was only a local population that was supposed to have been killed in Noah's Flood. I was emphasizing that the very point of this thread, given by coldfish, who started the thread, was that Ray Franz endorsed this view ( http://www.commentarypress.com/essay-flood.html ). In the material at that link, Ray stated, under the subtopic "EARTH" OR "LAND"? the following:

The crucial point of the Genesis account as well as the references by Christ and Peter, is that the human race was subjected to a watery catastrophe and that humanity survived only as a result of God?s provision through Noah. (Matthew 24:39) If, as seems evident, the human race in Noah?s day was confined to a relatively limited geographical area -- and that must have been the case if all people were able to be aware of the preaching of Noah (2 Peter 2:5) and be cognizant of what he was doing in the construction of the ark -- then the flooding of that entire area would constitute a flooding of the world (the human sphere and man-centered order) or kosmos of that time.

At the end of the material, Ray stated:

As that account shows, the human race began an essentially new start. A catastrophic event had taken place, reducing the human race to Noah and his family. Even as we all descend from Adam (as did Noah), thereafter we all have Noah as a common ancestor.

Since Ray used a good deal of material written by Carl Jonnson, it's clear that both of them endorse the view that all humans but Noah and his family were killed in Noah's Flood, which was an event local to Mesopotamia. My reading of the Bible agrees with their view.

: As you know, many understand the Bible's use of the word "all" in this case to have a much more limited meaning. To begin with, the Hebrew word translated as "all" in the Genesis flood account can, and clearly does at times elsewhere in the OT, have a more limited meaning than our English word "all". However, even if this word was used in the Genesis flood account in the same way we normally understand the word "all" - if, as many believe, Genesis is describing a large local flood - then the Hebrew word commonly translated as "all" was simply used to tell us that "all" people except eight were killed in the land of Noah, the land which was then flooded.

As you said, I'm well aware of all that. But I know that a substantial number of people agree with Ray and Carl's view, and that's what I'm pointing out is not in accord with the facts that I pointed out previously.

AlanF

• a Christian
    a Christian

I have little interest in how exactly Ray Franz may now understand science and scripture. God knows his understandings of both of them have been very much in error in the past.

Carl Olof Jonsson is another story. I have corresponded with Carl for quite a few years on a variety of issues, including this one. Carl strongly believes that the Genesis flood was an actual historical event which took place in about 3500 BC. Carl also believes that Genesis describes a flood that was confined to a limited area, most likely one in southern Mesopotamia. Carl is well aware of the fact that human beings have continually populated places all over this earth from a time many thousands of years before 3500 BC. That being the case, I can not believe that he now agrees with the views of Ray Franz on this subject. I will try to get him to weigh in on this matter.

In the mean time, regardless of how Ray Franz or Carl Jonsson may understand things, I believe that the only viable Christian position is that taken by Davis Young. Young is a professor of geology and a Bible believing Christian. In his 1995 book, The Biblical Flood, He wrote, "In the light of a wealth of mutually supportive evidence from a variety of disciplines and sources, it is simply no longer tenable to insist that a deluge drowned every human on the face of the globe except Noah's family. .... All the relevant evidence from the created order tells us that the flood was neither geographically nor anthropologically universal."

If the flood described in Genesis actually occurred, it could not have been a global flood and it could not have destroyed the entire human race. I believe that those who understand the Bible to say otherwise are simply misunderstanding the Bible. Otherwise why would the writer or the editor of Genesis, as XQs put it, have "Tribes and cities that were destroyed in the flood reappear uninterrupted a few pages later"?

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Tribes and cities that were destroyed in the flood reappear uninterrupted a few pages later"?

Leolaia has posted some remarkable threads that demonstrate the origins of the Noachian legend and how it was inserted into an existing narrative that knew nothing of a flood legend. For example:The enigmatic mystery of the Nephilim, the Rephaim, and the Titans

• AlanF
    AlanF

I'll be interested to see what Carl himself has to say about this, Mike. I corresponded with him a bit three years ago about this, but got sidetracked with Silentlambs stuff. :-)

I'd like to know your take on how your view of the Flood affects the rest of the Bible's believability. Plenty of believers strongly insist that if the Flood were not a real, global event that wiped out the human race, much of the Christian message is damaged or pointless -- and that's why they continue believing in such a flood despite the evidence against it.

AlanF

• a Christian
    a Christian

Alan, You wrote: Since Ray used a good deal of material written by Carl Jonnson, it's clear that both of them endorse the view that all humans but Noah and his family were killed in Noah's Flood ... With his permission, I am here posting non-personal parts of a personal e-mail I just received from Carl Olof Jonsson, which show that your statement concerning Carls views, as I suspected, is incorrect (see bolded and underlined sentences). In his e-mail to me Carl just wrote the following: Dear Mike, ......... A few years ago I summarized my (tentative) views about the Flood in a brief article that is published on the English section of a Swedish web site called Christian Freedom (in Swedish: Kristen Frihet). The address to the site is: http://start.at/fkf . I have also attached the same material in a separate file. The site also contains a number of other articles I have written, including some on chronology. Most of my material on the Flood was also posted by Ray Franz on the Commentary Press site, with other material added, including a number of quotations from various theological dictionaries and other works. As you know, my position is that the Flood was "local" in the sense that it did not cover the high mountains on the earth. The local area focused on in the Bible, I believe, is Mesopotamia. This does not mean that the catastrophe was limited only to that area. If, as I believe, the Flood was partially caused by a rising of the sea level, low-laying areas all around the earth must have been affected. And as people at that time usually settled in such areas, close to coasts and rivers, I conclude that people all over the globe must have been involved in the catastrophe. This does not necessarily mean that all mankind except Noah and his three sons and their wives was destroyed. I don't say so in my article. I don't remember if Ray did that in the material he published. I have chosen to leave that question open. As I'm presently working on some other projects, I can't find time for being drawn into another debate, and am therefore forced to refrain from posting anything on the JWD board. I have already spent too much time on Channel C. There is also a Swedish discussion forum about the JWs and Biblical questions where I (and Rud) have been drawn into discussions on various subjects from time to time. To be able to finish the projects we are both working on, we have decided to avoid that board, too, as far as possible. Your brother, Carl Alan, You wrote: I'd like to know your take on how your view of the Flood affects the rest of the Bible's believability. Plenty of believers strongly insist that if the Flood were not a real, global event that wiped out the human race, much of the Christian message is damaged or pointless ... I understand why many Christians feel this way. For one thing, they understand that if the flood of Noah's day was not global, or at least not universal in its destruction of the human race, then we are not all Noah's descendants. And, if we are not, then maybe we are not all even the literal descendents of the "Adam" of Genesis. And if we are not, then why do we need Jesus? Don't we only need Jesus because of the sin we inherited from Adam ? I understand why many Christians feel this way. But I think there is no need for them to worry. I think their concerns are largely based on a misunderstanding of Christ's Ransom and a misunderstanding of the events in Eden. This is, of course a bit of a long story. I'll do my best to be brief. I understand that Christ died to pay for the sins of all mankind, not just to pay for Adam's sins. I believe God used Adam and Eve as representatives of the human race to demonstrate the fact that all human beings are incapable of living perfectly righteous lives. And, because we all are incapable of doing so, none of us deserves to live forever. And, because we are all unworthy of eternal life, we can only hope to receive it as a gift from a Creator who is willing to overlook all of our unrighteousness. The Genesis account clearly indicates that Adam and Eve were created mortal, with a dying nature just like us. The story of Adam and Eve told in Genesis makes clear that their being able to live forever was not a part of their original physical nature. Rather, Adam and Eve's ability to live forever depended entirely on their eating from a tree "in the middle of the garden" of Eden, "the tree of life".(Genesis 2:9) Genesis tells us that Adam and Eve were going to be allowed to continue to eat from that tree only if they passed a God given test, a test which we are told they failed. After failing that test God expelled Adam and Eve from Eden and prevented them from ever again eating from "the tree of life".

Genesis indicates that had Adam and Eve been allowed to continue eating from "the tree of life" their lives would have been prolonged indefinitely.(Genesis 3:22-24) But when God prevented them from ever again eating from "the tree of life" they died what were apparently natural deaths. A careful reading of the Genesis account shows us that living forever would have been as unnatural for Adam and Eve as it would now be for us.

Genesis does not indicate that Adam and Eve originally had eternal life programmed into their genetic codes by God and later had their genetic codes reprogrammed by God in order to remove eternal life from those codes. Rather, Genesis indicates that Adam and Eve would have lived forever only if God had graciously given them eternal life from an outside source, "the tree of life".

Most objections to this natural reading of Genesis come from those who adhere to the doctrine of "The Fall" of mankind. This doctrine is based on what I believe is a misunderstanding of the apostle Paul's words in Romans 5:12-20 and 1 Cor. 15:21,22.

Romans 5:12 tells us that "sin entered into the world through one man, and death through sin." But as we read further we find that the kind of "sin" that first entered into the world through Adam, the "sin", which was responsible for bringing about his "death", was the "sin" of "breaking a command".(verse 14) And we are told that the kind of sin committed by Adam "is not taken into account (or "imputed" - KJV, NAS) when there is no law." (verse 13)

Because these verses tell us that Adam was the first man to sin by "breaking a command" from God, it follows that the "death" that "entered into the world" as a result of Adam's new kind of sin would have been Adam's new kind of death, death as a penalty imposed by God for "breaking a command" from God.

However, other verses have added to the confusion. Romans 5:15,17 and 18 tell us that "many died by the trespass of one man", "death reigned through that one man" and "as a result of one trespass was condemnation for all men." 1 Cor. 15:21,22 repeats this same thought by saying that "death came through a man" and "in Adam all die."

Many Bible readers say that these verses clearly indicate that all people today have "inherited" a "fallen" or "sinful" nature from Adam. And they say that it is this "fallen" nature inherited by us, as a result of Adam's disobedience, that brings upon us God's condemnation. They maintain that these verses prove that human beings were not "sinful" creatures until after Adam's spiritual, physical and genetic natures were somehow radically changed at the time he disobeyed God in Eden. Then, they say, when Adam fathered children after his nature had been corrupted, his children and all their descendants inherited Adam's "corrupted", "fallen", "sinful" nature.

Advocates of "The Fall" doctrine insist that unless we have all "inherited" a "fallen" nature from Adam we do not all need God's forgiveness through Jesus Christ, as the Bible tells us we all do. (Romans 3:23,24; 1 John 2:2)

However, I believe this understanding of the Ransom is incorrect. I believe the key to properly understanding all of Pauls words on this subject matter is found in Romans 5:19. There Paul wrote,"By one man's disobedience many were constituted sinners." (Romans 5:19, Amplified Bible) I believe Paul was able to say this because Adam, serving as God's chosen representative of the whole human race, demonstrated by his disobedience that all human beings are "sinners." ( If Adam in paradise, without a care in the world, was unable to resist sin, what chance do any of us have in doing so? ) So, after Adam failed a simple God given test of his righteousness, God had good reason to condemn the entire human race as being undeserving of eternal life. The Bible clearly tells us that God will hold each one of us responsible for his or her own unrighteousness, not for Adam's. (Romans 14:10-12, 2 Corinthians 5:10) And the Scriptures say that we all need the forgiveness God offers us through Jesus Christ, because we have all personally "sinned" and have all personally "fallen short of the glory of God." (Romans 3:23) These things being so, we do not all have to be Noah's descendents, or Adam's for that matter, to need God's forgiveness. We do not have to be Adam's physical descendents to be considered to be "sinners." For Adam's sin has been "imputed" to us, because of what he did. In the same way, we do not have to be physical descendents of Jesus to be considered by God to be "righteous ones." For Christ's righteousness is "credited" to believers, as a result of what He did. I think believers who "strongly insist that, if the Flood was not a real, global event that wiped out the human race, much of the Christian message is damaged or pointless," simply misunderstand the scriptures. Mike

• toreador
    toreador

Interesting perspective Mike.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Mike

Do you believe that before 'adam' there were lots of people? Then, one day, god decided to do his little test? Was this test done on two individuals, or does 'adam' and 'eve' mean a group to you?

S

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit