The Global Flood

by coldfish 290 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• one
    one

me rambling possibly...

M. G. Satterlee, proxy, A Cristian

I am convinced that God now provides such people with such "proof." I believe that the evidence that will here be presented will be enoughto convince many sincere seekers of truth that the story of Jesus Christ contained in the Bible may indeed be true.

How many men did the inspired writting?, 40?

Numbers may be interesting, people back then were not stupid (they built Pyramids thousand of years ago), most likey knew a lot about numbers, possibly also knew something about the "4", (or an equivalent to such arabic, It would be interesting to know what symbol chinese used).

Did anyone did any testing with 3, 7, 70, 10, 6, 30, 666, 12

BUT just by curiosity how far is all this from Astrology-umerology

astrology, numerlogy and the horoscope?

Following the analysis presented by M. G. Satterlee, how does it support any particular doctrine? how will it explain meaning of life?, how will explain life after death? or prove peter walked over water?

I take "faith" is not his/your main "support". Most diehard logical people find "faith" somethig used by some as an easy way out.

This may be on a tangent, but accepting the bible, "stars" and jesus numeric relationship as presented,

will it answer the multiple questions presented in this board? (question floating around for centuries).

in the final analysis humans need realistic, "down to earth", logical and practical reasons to happily accept any concept or doctrine, unless brainded/washed.

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Oh, people can be as eclectic as they like; they can be Neo-Jedi Lutherans, or Tao Mormons, or Fundamentalist Universal Unitarians (who insist that EVERYTHING is true).

People can see god, or Nuggin, or Allah, or the Force, or GOMN (Good Old Mother Nature) as they wish.

It's just it goes wrong when they claim they are right about a matter of opinion and that this makes them 'better' (either at that moment, or in a way that will better their future) than those that differ in that opinion.

Murder is bad. No brainer.

Boiling a kid in its mother's milk? Matter of opinion.

Rape is bad. No brainer.

Eating meat on a Friday? Matter of opinion.

And when such people are not even sticking to the 'toys in the box', but are stealing from other toy boxes or making their own apologisms to play with (whilst hiding some of the toys in their own box), it is even more bizarre.

It makes more sense (to me) for people to claim (despite the evidence) that this book is 'TRUE' than for someone to claim that they and their buddies can assemble-edit and make-up what is 'TRUE', and end up with anything more than an opinion.

Go ahead (not talking to you specifically here Ross), do that, I cherish the freedom. BUT be aware it is an internal individual truth, not anything that can be put on a table and shown to be real.

YOU are aware of that Ross. That's one of the reasons I respect you. Others just do the smörgåsbord thing and claim they've got the 'truth' even though all they have done is stuff their plate with what they want/need/like & goes together (with the right sauce).

Good crimble?

• Pole
    Pole

The smörgåsbord thing = inconsistent eclectism = evasive mixing of research methodologies

We have had a few posters now on this thread come to the same well substantiated (IMO) conclusion, although they've used different terms for this fallacy.

Pole

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Sun,

Here's where the surprise comes in: I'm a Christian. My life turned out in such a way that, for me, there IS proof of Christ's power. However, I do understand that that's not true for everyone, and I seek to do my "preaching" the same way Christ did. The only people he condemned outright were the hypocritical Pharaisees, and in his interactions with others, the greatest proof of his truth was the kindness, patience and love he showed to others. Interestingly, he seemed to save most of his religion talk for people who were inclined to listen to it.

Well I'm glad at least for the fact that you are working at being a different christian than the jugdement type of christian. You know what I mean by that don't you?? I mean you don't think God is going kill people that don't believe in Jesus,, by not giving them everlasting life because they are bad,, for not beleiveing. You don't beleive that do you??

Also, my JW experience taught me something very important, and it fits in well with what you've said: it's vitally important to know that you don't know everything. *g* Fewer people get hurt that way, including yourself.

I totally agree! When we feel we have a lot to learn it also help to keep your mind very healthy,,just like a child always ready to learn and ask questions. But if we form ridged beliefs the mind slows down stops asking question learning becomes very hard and difficult.

• a Christian
    a Christian

Abaddon, You wrote: This very idea conflicts against the idea of a god who is desirous that all can attain salvation. It creates an elite, firstly of those capable of actually discerning this 'constant' if it exists (counting the stars, measuring the Earth, Sun and Moon and the orbital distances), which is not a lot of people in history. Then it require these people have contact with the text that would allow them to see the confluence. Again, not a lot of people in history. Yes, indeed we are very fortunate generation. But at the same time we are a very unfortunate generation. For the same modern science that now allows us to clearly see the God of The Bible's Hand in the design and creation of our universe has also caused many to doubt the existence of God. In past centuries most people were quite willing to believe in God. Today, however, due to our widespread exposure to the findings of modern science and its theory of Godless evolution, many millions of people have great difficulty believing in God. So, I don't see it as God treating us any better today. I believe God is simply providing people today, by means of modern science, with some compensation for the difficulty many of us now have in putting our faith in Him, a difficulty created in large part by modern science. You wrote: Moon's diameter 3,476 km
    Suns diameter 1,392,000 km So the Sun is 400.46 times the diameter of the Earth.

The measurements I have cited for the diameters of the moon and sun ( 2,160 mi. and 864,000 mi.) are exactly as published by the World Almanac and most other reference works, including those I consulted on-line. I've done no rounding here. However, the sun's surface is not a solid one, and its exact measurable diameter varies slightly from time to time probably due to solar activity. So, I doubt this question ( 400 exactly or 400.46?) can actually ever be answered definitively.

You wrote, "Either the significance of these numbers is illusory and helped by rounding, or god is sloppy."

I believe God has given us one exact 400 ratio. According to my reference books the sun's diameter is exactly 400 times the size of the moon's diameter. That is enough exactness to get my attention. ( And I believe the attention of anyone with a mind and heart open to the possibility of God's existence. )

I believe God has also given us many other approximate 400s. The sun is about 400 times as far away from us as the moon. It is this "400" relationship which produces total solar eclipses, as NASA's own web site http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2001/ast08jan_1.htm tells us: "Solar eclipses on Earth are notable because the Moon and the Sun are almost exactly the same apparent size: 0.5 degrees as viewed from our planet.The Sun is really 400 times larger than the Moon, but it's also 400 times farther away." These total eclipses of the sun can be observed, on average, about every 400 years over any one spot on earth. The sun is also about 400 thousand times as bright as the full moon. Our galaxy also has about 400 billion stars.

I believe these 400s are probably the "signs in the sun, moon and stars" of which Christ spoke. I also believe they may now serve as "the sign of the Son of Man" which Christ said would "appear in the sky" shortly before His return.

Now, I suppose God could have designed every one of these 400s to be an exact number. But then we would all be forced right now to acknowledge that the God of the Bible, Jesus Christ, created our universe. And that would defeat God's own stated purpose.

For the Bible tells us God has chosen to save that time for Judgment Day.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

OH MY god!

• toreador
    toreador

I didnt realize there were that many 4s 40s and 400s in the bible. But like someone said, you could probably do that with some other numbers as well.

Didnt the Davince code sound something like this?

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Hey how about God putting in the formula "Pie" the entire King James version of the bible then I might beleive.LOL

• AlanF
    AlanF

Hi Sabrina,

:: I think you're missing the point: the critics I've seen post on this thread are not calling on Christians to be tolerant. They're pointing out that the claim by certain Christian apologists that the Christian faith is inherently tolerant is wrong. I've reread pages 4-7 of this thread and I see nothing that would support your claim that, by some unspecified posters, "Christians are called on to be tolerant". This is a good example of what can produce frustration in us critics: you somehow invented a claim that was never made (i.e., "Christians are called on to be tolerant ..."), and then implied that the people doing the calling are hypocrites, further implying that all critics are hypocrites. Perhaps that's not what you really meant, but it certainly reads that way to me.

: You're right I worded that poorly but not because I was trying to invent something.

I realize that you weren't trying to invent something, but nevertheless, you did invent a claim by virtue of ascribing words to critics that they had not said. I'm sure you also realize why it's frustrating dealing with a poster who claims you said something you never did.

: That was simply how I felt after Norm's post claiming that Christianity's claim to be the only true religion automatically made it intolerant.

Precisely my point. You didn't respond to what was actually said, but to a feeling you had -- a feeling that doesn't represent the attitude of anyone I'm familiar with who has posted to this thread.

: I tried to show that was not the case with all churches and all Christians.

I understand that very well. In fact, I'm quite happy that many of my Christian friends are extremely tolerant. Nevertheless, I don't consider them proper Christians, because they don't go along with the intolerance that the New Testament so clearly teaches.

: But when someone, Christian or non-Christian, wants to prove a point or insists on defending a position no amount of proof or discussion will make a difference.

That's simply not true. I myself have changed strongly held opinions many times, when sufficient evidence has been presented. That's why I'm no longer a JW or a Christian.

: He and I will always disagree on that point. No big deal though. Neither of us is above being wrong, well, I know I'm not.

From what I've read of this thread up to now, it seems to me that you and Norm (I think you're referring to him; correct me if I'm wrong) actually do agree that Christianity is basically intolerant. I'm sure that we all agree that a religion that teaches that people who don't go along with it will be killed by its God is inherently intolerant. If not, then the definition of intolerance means nothing. Norm stated that Christianity is like that, and you agreed by saying that Jesus pointed "the way, the only way". So it's possible to find agreement after all.

: Yet, while I agree that my wording was poor and you're right no one has "called" for Christians to be more tolerant I do believe that a great intolerance towards exJW Christians exists here.

You're right, but let's note for the record that you're changing the subject. That's fine; I enjoy eclectic discussions. Several posters have explained in part why Christians come under fire fairly often; I'm sure you understand their reasoning. However, I wouldn't necessarily call criticism intolerance. I criticize Flat-Earthism but I doubt that you'd characterize me as being unfairly intolerant of Flat-Earthers. Indeed, as long as they don't try to argue that I'm a wicked person because I don't believe in a flat earth, I probably won't try to convince them otherwise. But should a Flat-Earther try to peddle his foolishness on this forum, you can bet that I'll criticize his views. In view of this, because Christianity is inherently condemnatory of unbelievers, any discussion whatsoever that promotes it is inherently condemnatory of critics. Thus, critics' hackles are usually up from square one when an apologist pops up.

: Yet, AlanF, we too have left the Watchtower and we too have suffered just like everyone else here.

I'm fully aware of that.

: Is it really so bad that we still believe?

That's a loaded question, frankly. My personal opinion is that anyone who still subscribes to Christianity after quitting the JWs probably hasn't done all the homework she should. I might be wrong, but that's my opinion.

: I understand the preaching aversions I feel the same way. I do not like to be preached to especially by some who feel they have a direct connection to God etc. But that is very different from merely discussing a Biblical event like the flood.

Yes, it is, but such discussions inevitably lead to differences of opinion. Such differences ought to be backed up by solid evidence and argumentation.

: "A Christian" did not start this thread, he merely posted his thoughts on it. Yet, AlanF, I must say he was treated by some as if he were a rabid dog. So people disagree with him, okay, that's fine. But why the ridicule and all that?

There has been some ridicule, to be sure, but a Christian responded to almost all questioners in the same way -- with evasions. Evasions automatically bring ridicule from intelligent ex-JWs, no?

: Superior attitudes and arrogant words are I suppose today the right of those who have become Bible critics? Okay, that's fine.

I think that some posters could tone such attitudes down a bit and have better discussions, yes.

: But don't expect the target to continue to stick around for target practice. You mentioned no Christian responded to one of your posts. I got half way through a response to it until I realized it serves no purpose to so when all some people are looking for is a fault for taget practice not a genuine discussion.

You're making an unfair judgment here, much like JWs who hear a criticism of their cult and automatically assume that there's no way the critic would ever listen to 'reason', or judge that the critic is a hater of God simply because he criticizes the cult. If you have a genuine, well-reasoned response, then let's hear it. But if I disagree with your reasoning, then I'll point it out, just as you've pointed out where you disagree with mine. I'm certainly not getting bent out of shape just because someone disagrees with my views.

: These discussions sometimes become, as you say, in part just a game. Well, for me, it is not a game.

I already pointed out to you that our 'game' has a very serious side, so my calling what I do a 'game' is partly tongue-in-cheek.

: If you and others want to war with Christianity please go to it!

Ok!

: God knows there are many filthy hypocrites and false brothers there. I wish you well in your quest. But to war for wars sake or to destroy anothers faith to save him is serious business.

I view a lot of my criticisms more as spurs to get people to think beyond the narrow confines of their childhood learnings. Until people do that, they have absolutely no idea what amazing things there are to be learned and new modes of thought to explore.

: The GB thought they knew better than us and we followed. If you think you have found a better way and know better than Christians that's fine but that is your way, not mine.

Again, my goal is to get people to explore beyond where they are, to think outside the box, not to tell them where to explore or what to find.

: That is your belief, not mine. That is your stand, not mine. Please allow exJW Christians the dignity of their own mind and conscience by simply treating them as you would anyone else not as something to be shot at and changed towards what you believe is a better way. We did that enough as JWs don't you think?

Well that depends on just what you want to have dignity. I'm certainly not going to dignify the ludicrous ideas of young-earth creationism by verbally 'allowing' that its adherents have every right to believe what they want. They do have that right in a free society, of course, but not to be free from criticism. And I'm not going to verbally allow that JWs have much dignity of mind and conscience when I know perfectly well what kind of mind control they're subjected to and how that affects their ability to reason, and even to recognize the truth when they see it. So why should I not be consistent in everything else that comes up for discussion on this board?

AlanF

• AlanF
    AlanF

Anyone who thinks that there's something to biblical numerology ought to read the chapter "The Great Pyramid" in Martin Gardner's Fads & Fallacies in the Name of Science (Dover Books, 1952, 1957). Given a sufficient amount of writing containing numerical references, a smart operator can get all sorts of amazing things to pop out.

AlanF

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit