My story, please read

by fairchild 108 Replies latest jw friends

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

Hello gdt. I am sorry you had some rough times and were df'd. If you find life with the wbts to be fulfilling, staying with the jw teachings is certainly your perogative.

However if you truly are a long time jw, you will have no choice but to agree with the following.

The wbts in its publications has stated that an apostate is to be treated as one would a poison snake.

How do people treat rattle snakes or the deadly snakes you have in Australia??

They loath them and often kill them. One only has to disagree with any one of the basic teachings of the wbts to be labeled as an apostate.

This apostate could be a very fine cooperative, loving, caring, man. Highly respected in the congregation with no evil intentions.

Suddenly he is cut off from his friends, his relatives, confusion reigns in his household, his marriage is stressed and in jeopardy, his family, wife and children are told to no longer discuss religion with him or let him discuss the bible with them, his own children and wife.

I see nothing kind, caring, or loving from an organization who would create such destructive heart breaking a situation in a mans family, for so little an issue as disagreeing with a teaching.

How in the world can you support such conduct?

Outoftheorg

• bebu
    bebu

Hi fairchild,

Let me second under74's words. You really DON'T need to reply to every post; it isn't considered an insult. You can acknowledge everyone simply with "Thanks for your words" or something. So skip answering me this time--take a break!

AlanF's post is a great place to start a simple examination, with verification. However, I think AlanF's post didn't have the link needed (if it did, I overlooked it) to verify the Watchtower's (WT's) involvement with the UN. Here is the UN's explanation, posted on the UN's website:

http://www.un.org/dpi/ngosection/watchtower.pdf

I don't know about Daniel, but the WT has called the UN the scarlet beast of Revelation.

As AlanF pointed out, the WT prostituted themselves by publishing articles in support of the UN and its principles, which (as the above document from the UN states) was required of all NGOs in order to continue their association with the UN. For 10 long, secret years. They quit that association the day after it became public knowledge thru a newspaper article. What does that tell you?

Poor fairchild, I'm sure your poor head is spinning with all the reading and comments you've received. If you don't reply for a while, I'll just assume that you are doing some researching and thinking.

Have a nice cup of coffee, while you're at it.

bebu

• Quotes
    Quotes

Welcome faircild

Be sure to study all the great spiritual food provided by the Watchtower Society over the years! It is hard because you might not have access to some all of it, but I've attempted to assist by collecting it together in one place. Unlike the Watchtower, I eve provide material priot to 1950:

http://quotes.watchtower.ca/

Happy Reading!!!

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

Welcome! However, if you're looking for tips on how to become a better JW, you've come to the wrong place.

DY

• AlanF
    AlanF

Hi fairchild,

Bebu posted a link to help you out in understanding my brief descripton of the Watchtower Society's involvement with the U.N. You're right that the Society calls the U.N. "the 'disgusting thing that causes desolation'", which is why their involvement with it, including writing articles that appear to praise it, was so hypocritical.

As for the notion of JWs living closest to Bible principles, when I was a JW and ignorant of other religions, I thought the same thing. But there's a good reason why this isn't so: The JWs demonstrably reject some Bible principles in favor of others; various Christian religions reject some Bible principles in favor of others; God doesn't come down and tell Christians what principles to reject and what to accept; therefore it's a matter of interpretation and for much discussion as to exactly what constitutes a 'correct' set of Bible principles. Naturally the JWs claim that they alone have a completely correct interpretation. But many on this board can give you examples of where they once claimed a correct understanding, only to change it when circumstances dictated. For example, until about 1930 they claimed that Christ returned invisibly in 1874, whereas now they claim it was in 1914. If you say that this is no big deal because "the understanding of imperfect men changes", well that goes against the Society's claim that JW leaders receive divine direction in coming up with their doctrines and policies. You can't have it both ways.

One can say, as you did, that if elders say one thing and do another, they'll have to answer to God. But that's pretty well meaningless, because the same is true of every other Christian, whether a JW or not.

For you information, I left the JWs some 25 years ago because of their gross intellectual dishonesty.

Now for some comments that I hope you don't find too shocking, but I hope will spur you to "think outside the box":

You said to sixofnine:

: One of the major things that has always impressed me about the bible is the fact that it was written in the bible that the earth was round, (Isaiah 40:22) long before this was a generally accepted fact.

This is absolutely not true. Isaiah 40:22 says that God is walking above the circle of the earth. A circle is 'round' and the earth is 'round', but a pizza pie is shaped like a circle and the earth is a ball. Obviously, saying that the earth is shaped like a pizza pie is not saying that it's shaped like a ball. Many Christians besides the JWs make this mistake. For an in-depth look at this question, go here: http://www.geocities.com/osarsif/astronomy.htm#circle

: Another thing that impresses me are let's say the sanitation rules (Leviticus, Deuteronomy), should it have been written by some Hebrew men, how would they have known about such sanitation issues way back then?

What sanitation rules? Like not pooping in camp where people could step in it?

Plenty of other ancient peoples had all sorts of sanitation facilities. The Etruscans and the Romans certainly did. The ancient Peruvian city of Caral (dated to about 2600 B.C.) had irrigation ditches and so forth (see for example http://www.rdboyd.com/rdboyd/Caral.html ). Sanitation in cities with irrigation is kind of a no-brainer.

: Also, the bible has been backed up by scientifical evidence over and over again.

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. For example, the order of creation given in Genesis is not correct.

: And I'm sure you have heard this over and over again.. the harmony of 66 books written by 40 men over a long period of time.

That's an interesting question, alright, but when you know the history of selection of the New Testament canon by the Catholic Church in the first five centuries A.D., followed by a reselection by Protestants begun by Martin Luther in the 1500s, this is not surprising: whatever wasn't consistent, in the minds of thousands of examiners over many hundreds of years, was eliminated.

: Are any of the other books, written by men, from that time period still available today? No, not as far as I know.

Not nearly as extensive as the writings of the Jews, but they certainly exist. For example, there are many cuneiform texts containing large portions of the ancient Sumerian and Babylonian Epic of Gilgamesh, which contains a Flood story. There also exist large portions of the Sumerian and Babylonian creation stories.

: But then, i think what convinced me most was the discovery of Noah's ark, and how the measurements were in accordance with what was written in the bible, so many years before they discovered the ark.

Noah's ark has not been discovered. Some people have claimed to have found it, but in no case have their claims been verified, and most have proved to be hoaxes.

: Let's say in the worst case scenario, I am totally wrong and the bible is not the word of God. Okay, that would be a huge disappointment for me, but I would still truly advertise it as a great book to live by.

To a large extent I agree (although I'm obviously not a Bible believer) with the exception of things like executing homosexuals, and adulterers, and so forth, as the Old Testament demands. The basic things to live by are simple: love your neighbor, and if you believe in him, love God. All else follows. But you don't need the Bible to tell you that.

AlanF

• fairchild
    fairchild

Hi all,

A couple people have brought to my attention that it is not necessary to answer everyone individually. I have to admit that I've been trying hard to keep up with the posts, but it has gone over my head now. I still want to acknowledge all your kindness in replying to my story. Here's a few words for each of you, as I appreciate every effort you made to give me your opinions.

Steve2

Overwhelming indeed. I see that you are a newbie as well. We'll probably meet again somewhere on the board. Thanks for replying.

outoftheorg,

Wow, you spent quite a lot of years with the organization. I'd be very interested to know what made you leave after so many years. I'm not asking that just to be curious, but because it rather puzzles me. You don't have to answer this if you don't feel comfortable doing so.

Anuva,

You definitely have a point, and yes I am familiar with that saying in the bible. It has actually bugged me at times. It is easy indeed to love the people who love you, but not so easy to love everyone regardless. I have 30 co-workers where I work. It is impossible to like everyone equally. When I started working there about a year ago, many were prejudiced against me for two reasons. I am foreigner, living in a small town where foreigners are not liked all that much, and I am female working in a male dominated profession. Almost all of my co workers are male. Soon after I started working there it was clear that some were out to make things hard for me. Instead of getting mad, I would keep being friendly to every one of them. It really paid off in the end, but believe me, it was not an easy thing to do. I so wanted to tell them to go to h*ll.

NewLight,

"God will forgive you no matter how big of a sin it was" That is true, as long as one repents in a sincere way. But I noticed that you used the word "was". In my situation, there is a past, a present, and possibly (unfortunately) a future.

CodeBlue,

I just learned exactly that. The fact that fellow worshippers should not be judged by the amount of time they put in, because all our lives are different and every situation is different. I'd be hipocrit though, if I said that in the kingdom hall where I go people don't get judged that way. In the end, we are all (imperfect) people. Gosh, I wonder sometimes how they judge ME.

gdt,

I took note of Hosea11 and Jonah 4, will read it before going to bed tonight. Thank you very much for the encouragement.

under74,

Thank you for your imput and for your concern with me trying to answer everyone individually. As you can see, I have found a quicker method to do so!

Pintail,

I totally agree on the prayer part, living a life free of hate and loving others as we love ourselves. Not an easy thing to do, but if everyone would do an effort, it might be a totally different world!

gdt,

Not to worry, I don't feel bad at all because you said to hang on. I very much appreciate your encouragement.

jgnat,

Thanks a lot for that link, I'll check it out as soon as I'm done writing here.

golf,

thanks for the words of encouragement and for your time to reply.

granny lisa,

yes, I agree about the hurtful things that go on in this world. I think that in a way, it is a matter of finding our own peace of mind, each one individually. Thanks for coming back.

outoftheorg,

You again? Ooohhh, gotcha, you're practicing on how to get my name right. How considerate! This is a valid point you brought up with gdt. I am wondering sometimes if things are not always the same in different kingdom halls? I remember, years ago back in Europe, a girl got disfellowshipped. Her parents however, were allowed to talk to her. It was said that it was a matter of personal preference. Meaning, talking or not talking to their daughter would have been okay one way or the other. But my friend here in America, her son was disfellowshipped a few years ago and she is no longer allowed to talk to him. As a matter of fact, she got in pretty bad trouble for going to his wedding.

Bebu,

Haha, you are SO right. My head has been spiining for 2 days.

Quotes,

Thanks for the link. I checked it out and did some reading, but it seems every time I try to read an article or something, there is this 'box' that's sitting on the left side of the screen and it half covers the words. Do other people have problems with that?

Dutifully yours,

Thanks for the welcome. Yeah, I hear you. To be honest, I had expected as many replies from JW's and non JW's. Hmm.. going to do some more reading though, it never hurts (I don't think so at least)

Alan, I haven't read your post yet. Will do that in a minute.

• fairchild
    fairchild

Hi Alan,

I read your post, and especially the link you provided, with great interest.

First of all, I am shocked to hear that Noah's ark was not discovered. I swear I saw a documentary about that on TV a few years ago, where they had dug up the whole thing right on the mountain, and they had built a restaurant that overlooked 'the ark'. Grrrrrr

Okay, the link. I don't mean to be a pain in your butt, but even after reading it carefully, I am not convinced. For one thing, none of us speaks Hebrew (at least I don't think so). All we have is a translation. I speak several languages, and have actually read the bible in 3 different languages. Having been between different languages all my life, I know how hard it is to translate. To give you one example, I know that there are a few people from the Netherlands on this site, so they can confirm my statement here. In the bible, when the Israelites left Egypt, it says that they went through the 'wilderness'. If you read that in Dutch, the word 'desert' is used instead of wilderness. I always thought that they actually went through miles and miles of desert, and was kind of shocked to see the word 'wilderness' in an English translation. This is only one small example of how translations differ. So, the word 'circle' has been translated as round, sphere, etc.. in Isaiah.

Furthermore, as I was reading through that site, before I ever cam to the word 'poetic', it was the word that I already had stuck in my head. I teach poetry and have been studying this art since I was very young. Reading the bible from a poetci viewpoint, I have to say that it does contain a large amount of writings that can definitely be defined as poetry, which does not make the reading any easier.

I don't know what to say about the scripture in Matthew, other than that it could be a figure of speech. For example, John Glen could have said "I took a look through the shuttle window and saw the whole world". Wrong, he could not have seen every country all at once.

Oh, I'm tired and it's time to go to bed. Will come back to this.

• AlanF
    AlanF

Hi fairchild,

: First of all, I am shocked to hear that Noah's ark was not discovered.

Back in the 60s, the JWs gave a talk about Noah's Flood in which they claimed that some guy had actually brought back pieces of wood from Noah's ark. I always meant to investigate, but never found the time (as usual, the talk gave no references, so it would have been difficult to find the right ones). When I started carefully looking at such claims in 1991, I soon found that the Watchtower's reference had been to one Fernand Navarra, who turns out to have been a bit of a crackpot. He brought back some wood alright, but it was eventually carbon dated to about 800 A.D. This is reasonable, since until a massive earthquake around 1850 destroyed a huge section of Mount Ararat, a monastery dating a long way back existed way up on the mountain. It stands to reason that the monks, or any number of others, might have left wood lying around that gullible and all-too-willing-to-believe people like Navarra would assign to Noah's ark. Many books have been written on the subject, and to date no one has found any real evidence whatsoever that there's anything up there besides rock and snow.

: I swear I saw a documentary about that on TV a few years ago, where they had dug up the whole thing right on the mountain, and they had built a restaurant that overlooked 'the ark'. Grrrrrr

You're probably talking about the 1993 CBS presentation by Sun Pictures "The Incredible Discovery of Noah's Ark". I saw it back then (my then JW wife was quite irritated at my critical comments) and have a video of it now. It presented a lot of nonsense, to be perfectly frank. The young-earth creationists who sponsored the show (like John Morris of the Institute for Creation Research) were particularly fooled by one George Jammal, a member of a skeptics society, who went to some lengths to concoct a story about his going to Ararat with a friend, hacking a piece of wood off the ark, and his friend falling off a cliff and dying. Sun Pictures had quite a bit of footage with this guy telling his story. Turns out he took a piece of scrap wood from his woodpile, soaked it in teriyaki sauce and such, and presented it to Morris along with his story. Some months after the show aired, Jammal announced his hoax at a local skeptics meeting and they all had a good laugh. Morris and company were extremely embarrassed. I helped a philosophy student I knew from the Net, one Jim Lippard, who was himself a member of a skeptics society, write a humorous piece about the hoax called "Sun Goes Down in Flames: the Jammal Ark Hoax" ( http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/ark-hoax/jammal.html ). You ought to read this for a good look at how easy it is to fool willing believers.

: Okay, the link. I don't mean to be a pain in your butt,

I wouldn't have it any other way!

: but even after reading it carefully, I am not convinced. For one thing, none of us speaks Hebrew (at least I don't think so). All we have is a translation.

Not at all. We have plenty of good Hebrew language references. Hebrew has a word for "circle" (chuwg) and another for "ball". There's not a single place in the OT where "chuwg" is used in a sense other than what the context obviously shows means "circle", so there's no reason (other than a desire to believe) to think that "chuwg" means "sphere" in Isaiah 40:22. If you still disagree, then you have a nice research project.

Furthermore, look at what the text actually says (I'll use the language of the NWT). It says that "there is One who is dwelling above the circle of the earth." If "circle" literally means "sphere", then the rest of the phrase must be literal. That means that God literally lives "above" the earth. Where is "above the earth" literally? All of outer space! Does God live in outer space? I don't think so. The Bible seems to indicate that God lives outside our material universe. What do you think?

The text also says that God "is stretching out the heavens just as a fine gauze, who spreads them out like a tent in which to dwell." Obviously this is not literal, but metaphorical. If this is not literal, then it cannot be claimed that other questionable parts of the text are literal.

The point is that texts that are at best ambiguous cannot be used to prove anything. Therefore you can't use Isaiah 40:22 to prove anything about what the Jews thought about the shape of the earth. But I still say that the weight of evidence is that this passage describes a flat, circular earth rather than a spherical one.

: I speak several languages, and have actually read the bible in 3 different languages. Having been between different languages all my life, I know how hard it is to translate. To give you one example, I know that there are a few people from the Netherlands on this site, so they can confirm my statement here. In the bible, when the Israelites left Egypt, it says that they went through the 'wilderness'. If you read that in Dutch, the word 'desert' is used instead of wilderness. I always thought that they actually went through miles and miles of desert, and was kind of shocked to see the word 'wilderness' in an English translation. This is only one small example of how translations differ.

I understand all that. But a careful study would clear up the problems of meaning. You demonstrated that yourself.

: So, the word 'circle' has been translated as round, sphere, etc.. in Isaiah.

Right, but without any real justification. And the bible translators who have done so are few, because the careful ones all know that they're going out on a limb by doing it. By all means do your own study and you'll see for yourself.

: Furthermore, as I was reading through that site, before I ever cam to the word 'poetic', it was the word that I already had stuck in my head. I teach poetry and have been studying this art since I was very young. Reading the bible from a poetci viewpoint, I have to say that it does contain a large amount of writings that can definitely be defined as poetry, which does not make the reading any easier.

That it does, and your observation confirms my point that you can't use possibly poetic language to prove anything literal. Isaiah 40 certainly seems largely poetic to me.

: I don't know what to say about the scripture in Matthew, other than that it could be a figure of speech. For example, John Glen could have said "I took a look through the shuttle window and saw the whole world". Wrong, he could not have seen every country all at once.

True enough, but ambiguity rears its head yet again. Yet, as the piece you read makes clear, such a figure of speech would make little sense to people who didn't already think of the earth as a large, flat place with a circular rim. The description in Daniel is even more telling in this sense, with a large tree said to sit "in the center of the earth", which could be observed from every point of the earth. Imagine giving such a word picture to an audience today -- they'd think you were nuts, or at least, borrowing from the biblical literary tradition. But it would be perfectly reasonable to give such a word picture to the Flat Earth Society.

Like I said, fairchild, you obviously have a good head on your shoulders and really ought to be thinking outside the old box.

AlanF

• justhuman
    justhuman

Welcome to the forum.

This are some words from a Greek ex-Jw and I hope that they will help you.

The WT doctrine it is based on the date 607 B.C Without this date there is NO WATCHTOWER or faithfull slave. WT claims that Jerusalim was destroyed at that year, and they add 2520 years (time of the Gentiles) and they reach to 1914(Jesus invisible coming). The all idea it is wrong because they take another Bible passage(as they usual do) that has NO connection with the Daniel passage and they turn days to years.

The most devastating it is that NOT even the Bible prooves their claim that Jerusalim was destroyed at the year 607 B.C. In the book of Zechariah clearly tell us that Jerusalim was destroyed at 587 B.C. ALL ARCHAIOLOGICAL evidence points that year, that it is in Harmony with Bible. If you look at Jewish web sides regarding Israel History they also have as 587 B.C as a FACT. So who knows better their history. The Jews or a guy named Charles Russell from Pensylvania who didn't have ANY biblical education, got this date from the Pyramids(pyramidology is a occult religion). Only WT it is so proud NOT to accept their mistake and still preaching the wrong date because it will BLOW UP their theological stracture that is why they still hold on to that date.

So will you support a religion that preach a FALSE GOSPEL?

Back in the 1980's many JW at Bethel found out this FACT. And quess what happened. They ALL have been disfellowshiped and labaled as apostates, because they show the TRUTH to the GB. So WT preffers UNITY instead of TRUTH.

WT's Bible it is the worst Bible Translation EVER. Since I'm Greek it very easy for me to see that. They just change words to FIT their teachings. For example WT has replace the word Cross(because they don't beleive in Cross) with the word "kremmamenos epi xylou-κρεμμάμενος επί ξύλου" =hanging from the wood. Even if you don't accept the cross(Mormons also do)the translation must be ACCURATE.But again the symbol of Christianity has been rejected by the second president of the WT Rutherford who changed many of the doctrines of Russell and turn JW's the way they are today.

At 2 Corinthians verse 2 St Paul says that the cross it a foolish thing for the Gentiles and a discrase for the Jews, but for us it is a glory. Again the WT despite the Biblical and historical evidence that Jesus died on a cross still reject the TRUTH again.

WT it is quilty for false prophesies that they NEVER came true. They believed that Jesus presence was in 1874 and Armageddon WILL occured at 1914. At 1918 they preached that the holy ones will be errapted to heavens. In 1925 they were waiting the resurection of the prophets to lead Armageddon. In 1942 they also were waiting for Armageddon. In 1975 again. They claimed that the generation of 1914 will NOT PASS untill the end comes. The generation doctrine changes in 1995 again and the end is fluid!!!

So will you join a religion that teaches lies? Your future it is in your hands. We just gave you an idea what is really the WT

• jwbot
    jwbot

The idea that people back then did not know the earth was a sphere is a common misconception. And columbus was not the only one at the time to know this. In fact, this WAS accepted and had absolutely nothing to do with columbus and his voyage. The history books are very slanted in this regard, I am not sure why. 1 semester of Art History taught me this, very interesting indeed.

So, the bible saying that the earth was a circle, or sphere, is really no big deal.

Welcome to the board FairChild! I must say, I really applaud your open-mindedness and willingness to learn, you seem like a really good person and a person I would be friends with if I knew you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit