How do you feel about death?

by 3rdEye 40 Replies latest jw friends

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

No fears about death. Not much use fearing something you have no information about. Worse case scenario, that's the end of the line, sorry folks, nothing more to see. Anything else will be cake.

Even as a Witness, when I thought about being on my deathbed someday (I did consider the possibility from time to time), I actually had a part of me that looked forward to it. I mean, that's when you would finally get to find out what's real. Of course, as a Witness, I expected to wake up in some kind of paradise with lions and lambs cuddling and stuff. But part of me doubted that and looked forward to the possibility that something completely different would happen.

Now, I'm a rationalist, so I don't expect anything like new worlds or pearly gates. But hey, who knows? If this life is any indication, if there is anything ahead of us, I'm sure it'll be awesome.

SNG

• onacruse
    onacruse

I now believe that Cause-and-Effect guarantees my subsequent existence.

Can I prove it? No.

When will I know? When I die.

The death of my human organism is an inevitability, as proved by the evidence of every one of the billions of people that have ever lived on this planet, including the 'Son of God' himself. (To quote Paul, according to the NWT: "It is reserved for all men to die...")

I no longer feel a need to prove myself worthy of resurrection.

"God" made me what I am, and "God" can't condemn me to eternal non-existence for what "God" made me to be (and what I can't be, as per It's construction plans). For God to do that would be for God to not be God.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

SNG,

That's kinda the way i see it too.

I would like to add to my previous comment:

Here we are in "time" and everything changes,,when we try to stop the movement of change,,we stuggle in vain and we cause ourselves uneccesarry pain and sorrow,, because we can not accept a particular change that we can not stop. I think to realize this profoundly can spare us of worry and struggle motivated by fear.

• redhotchilipepper
    redhotchilipepper

I was always afraid of death but not anymore. I just hope that and my goal is to live my life to the fullest before I do actually die. I am starting to believe more in Reincarnation, actually!

• PinTail
    PinTail

I don't know and don't care what they say, there is something afterwards; I flat lined and I was informed my family was told I had passed on. I seen something profound but I know no one belives me so why say what I seen.

Shane

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Does this help? "For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain." - Philippians 1:21 (NIV)

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl

It has happened to many people before me. It will happen to me. I see no rational reason to believe that some part of me will live on after my brain and body dies. What I experience as consciousness is the result of electrical and chemical activity in my brain. No activity; no "me".

I don't feel any worse about the generations to come that I won't meet, and the events I will have no knowledge of, than I do about the millenia of human existance before I was born and all my ancestors I never met.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

For an objective look at Pascal's Wager, try this site:
    http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/pascal-wager/

Editted to add that I forgot my manners: Welcome to the site

• bem
    bem

The dead part of dying, I do not fear.

The what it may take to get there is very scarey to me. I had never came close to dying myself until I was in a car wreck. Not being able to move was very scarey. Being restrained for fear of damaging something more caused, a massive anxiety attack! That led to pain like I have never expierienced before. A pain mainly brought on by my mind, and inner fear.

Essie, 'the five people you meet in heaven' is about be a tv movie or mini series. unless it has already been seen I remeber the ads for it.recently. Thanks anyway since I'm laid up I will get that book.

Welcome to the forum,
  • Narkissos
    Narkissos

(Agreeing with Fe2O3Girl).

I will strip off the outworn garments of existence, consciousness and self, and somewhat voluptuously sink into the subjectless depths of what we blindly call "being". As long as "I" am not completely extinct, though, I'll still rejoice in knowing that the sun will just be as bright without me. (Song of My Fair Lady coming to mind...)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit