How do you feel about death?

by 3rdEye 40 Replies latest jw friends

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Didier:

(Song of My Fair Lady coming to mind...)

You're a hopeless romantic, my friend

• blondie
    blondie

How do I feel about death?

I'm against it personally.

Blondie

• Roski
    Roski

Having been a JW for many years, this is a subject that, since leaving, I have given some thought. However due to lack of time and resources my progress has, until now, been limited. A couple of weeks ago my son died suddenly, and that has been quite a reality check in trying to get my thoughts together. My first reactions were - 1. as I kissed him godbye for the last time I definitely no longer felt fear of death. 2. If I could believe in anything I would llke to believe that an earthly resurrection is God's promise. No, I don't feel that life on earth would be boring as I believe knowledge is as infinite as the universe. Unfortunately I don't have the luxury of this belief, nor any other solid belief - at this stage. So, I have begun my search. With the kind assistance of one board member I have a list of books dealing with the bible's authorship and its historical perspective. I have ordered books on metaphysics, quantum theory, the afterlife, reincarnation and another version of the bible. This may be a lifetimes work and I don't know where it will take me - maybe the full circle. But I do know that I need to look at the evidence and find answers - whatever form they may take. My starting point is that I do believe in an 'intelligent' universe, and I do see logic in the argument for the continuation of an energy/force. Whether that force is extended within the paradigm of the Christian belief system or some other, I do not yet know. Numerous events occuring around the time of my son's death have propelled my thoughts along this line. Since leaving JW's (family still in) I have had a foot in each camp - sceptical of the bible and religion and leaning towards new age thinking and alternate philosophies, but still finding it difficult to disbelieve. I know the journey ahead will be a long one. I'm not at all sure this will help anyone else--just my thoughts.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Roski,

Please accept my sincere condolences.

• Valis
    Valis

As the song goes..." There will be no regrets when the worms come"

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Roski,

Haveing suffered thru the deaths of many family members,, you have my deepest sympathy over your loss.

They say that times such as when we have deep emotional pain such as death of a family member or some other tragady that if we don't try to escape it in any way,,and we ask the question,, what is this pain? and if we look with our mind and try to find out what is this pain and keep looking we learn alot about ouselves and life and the pain becomes less because the mind has energy to ask and look more intensely at these questions.

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

Like many here - uncertain.

It is an important issue though as I am sure that many stick with the 'truth' because they do not want address the subject of their own mortality having been taught that they need never die because the kingdom will be here soon.

Eyeslice

• Winston Smith :>D
    Winston Smith :>D

Philosophicaly, I'm free of the WTS phobias of "Arm-a-getting".

My view now is more Zen'ish. There can be no life without death. No begining without an end. No day without night.

So I don't fear death, just make the most of everyday that I have here and now.

Actually makes me appreciate this life alot more since I don't have my "WatchTower issued" raincheck for my life in the "pair-of-dice -earth" to make up for the life I was pissing away as a rub-a-dub Dub.

• Rabbit
    Rabbit

I am NOT in favor of death.

Really !

• Fleur
    Fleur

Oh, Roski. I am so sorry about your son. I cannot think of anything that is more unnatural or painful than losing a child ((((((((((Roski)))))))))) I hope you will find the answers that you seek.

Bem said:

"Essie, 'the five people you meet in heaven' is about be a tv movie or mini series. unless it has already been seen I remeber the ads for it.recently. Thanks anyway since I'm laid up I will get that book"

The movie was very good, it did the book justice. Very emotional, it effected me deeply.

As far as fearing death, I never have, I don't know why. Maybe because when I was little I was drilled into believing it's just a really deep sleep.

It seemed like an alluring friend to me in my depression at many points...thankfully I didn't give in to that and I'm still here. It's a miracle in more ways than one. But that is no thanks to the religion, it made me more suicidal than anything.

I still am not sure what to believe, so many things about death make no sense. But I'm just grateful that no one expects me to have all the answers anymore. That was pressure that no one needs, because no one can really say for certain until we get there ourselves.

essie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit