How did you feel when you learned it was all a lie?

by what_Truth? 50 Replies latest jw experiences

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

I felt very happy at first, then anger because of the shunning I would have to endure. I tried my best to expose them in the begining,,then hopelessness as they enforced shunning and I lost all contact and family in the borg.

I don't feel any great anger anymore, but will do what ever I can to expose them.

• Larry
    Larry

I felt like a sucker. But not only with the BORG's lies, but the lies of the world.

~ Emancipate Yourself From Mental Slavery - Bob Marley.

Peace - Larry :)

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

I was angry. Very angry. I stayed angry and bitter and hurt for many years. I was angry at God for being such a jerk. At some point I realized that just maybe, the picture of "God" that was painted for me by the JW brush, was not an accurate picture. That's when I started my forward thinking journey. It was hard. I was overcome with grief for several years. But by the time I joined this board, I felt very validated. That I wasn't alone in my journey of pain. There were thousands of other people that realized the truth about The Truth?. It wasn't the truth! And I didn't have to feel guilty about not being a part of it anymore. Overcoming the guilt and shame were the most difficult parts of my recovery. Once I jumped that hurdle, my life has been 180° different! Funny thing is...my parents and "friends" that shunned me, actually HELPED me realize the wrongs about that religion. Believe it or not, I'm grateful for the experience in some ways.

• PinTail
    PinTail

I had a viseral pain like I was slugged in the gut. but the worst feeling of all is to try to show those you love facts about the witness's veiws and they cling so much to these ideals. It was then I seen myself as I was so long, in them.

• hemp lover
    hemp lover

"Stunned / annoyed / grief stricken / accepting / revolutionary / demoralised / acceptance / terror stricken on anticipation of leaving then complete peace just prior to doing it."

Wow, this is like the five stages of death with a few extra thrown in.

I was devastated and cried for days, then angry that I was going to die someday, then peaceful. What will be, will be.

• fleaman uk
    fleaman uk

I never really believed it...even from a early Age.But you know how it is...all i knew was wrapped up in it,family,Friends and a strange sort of comfort Zone.Talks, 8-10 hours a Month on Ministry etc,etc.It was just so mind numbingly Dull though!

so,it wasnt too devastating just to fade nicely away.

But it must be terrible for those who once sincerely believed it.

• toreador
    toreador

Disbelief at first then I felt like shit afterward.

• Bubbamar
    Bubbamar

I was absolutely apalled. I mean, I always knew that things w/ the JW's weren't right. But I didn't know they could easily be proven so wrong.....so deceptive and devious. It just didn't make sense. It was like not only finding out that the world was round --- but also finding out that 'they' knew all along that it wasn't flat.

But the real kicker is that my mom has destroyed and shunned her whole family - and can't be bothered to do a little checking first. Now THAT PISSES ME OFF !!

• catchthis
    catchthis

As Blondie made mention to:

http://politicalhumor.about.com/library/multimedia/foolbush.mov

He took the words right out of my mouth.

• catchthis
    catchthis

dupe...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit