Just got home from the dentist :(

by Princess 31 Replies latest jw friends

• Princess
    Princess

Much better now, thanks! It took four hours for the numbness to wear off, about two hours for my tongue. Now my jaw is sore where he gave me the injections.

I know I'm prejudiced, but it always makes me roll my eyes when someone says, "I didn't go see a dentist for 10 years and now I need 6 root canals." If you keep up with regular visits, chances are most expensive restorations can be avoided and decay can be arrested before it gets into the nerve chamber.

Oh totally. I knew it was stupid and I did keep up my family's visits but it's so hard to make that appointment for myself after forking over about $200 for my kids teeth to be cleaned. I actually did pretty well for a six year hiatus...some scraping but only two cavities and one of them quite small. I'm a good flosser so I bet that helps.

This is a new dentist for us. He teaches at the UW on Friday afternoons. Nice guy, friendly, did most of the work himself. Cyclist. Not in a huge hurry to get rid of me. I'll be a six month visitor from now on.

• wasasister
    wasasister

Sounds like you are in good hands. A teaching dentist is usually ahead of his or her peers in new techniques and equipment.

Good for you for having your kids seen regularly. You can't believe some of the stuff we see in kids who have terrible home care and never see a dentist until there is pain. We are obliged to report severe cases to Child Protective Services.

We do everything we can to encourage people to come in regularly. Recently, we started offering paraffin hand dips to patients while they relax and have a massage. These are adults who were so traumatized by dentists when they were kids that they get panic attacks just making an appointment. We are undoing decades of negative experiences, one pampered patient at a time.

• hubert
    hubert

Whenever I get a cavity, I just put my teeth in a box, and mail it to the dentist with the return postage, and presto...! All done!!

(It's good to be old) ... Hubert

• Princess
    Princess

Wasa, do you work for a female dentist? I hear ads about a female dentist...I want to say Judith something or other who does all that stuff. Her patients compare it to going to a spa. Wowza...I figure since I'm mostly paying out of pocket, I can't afford her!

• wasasister
    wasasister

I don't work for a female dentist now, and regardless, I'm in South King Co. I know the ads you speak of. To be honest, "Spa Dentistry" is now the rage. It's more than a marketing catch phrase. Studies show patients who are relaxed and happy are more likely to respond to anesthetic and have a better recovery time.

If your dentist does not offer such creature comforts, by all means suggest it. Chances are the staff would welcome your input.

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

My dentist has an anxiety attack when he sees *me* coming, and the feeling is mutual. I have had him for about 15 years and he is a good dentist, but he sometimes doesn't quite get enough novocaine, and I nearly bring the chair up with me when I jump. He then jumps back and screams "You're going to give me a heart attack!" That's why he schedules my appointments on Saturday, with no other patients after me.

CG

• Dansk
    Dansk

Hi Princess,

Sorry, just seen this thread.

Hope you are feeling tons better now. Being numb after the injection is annoying but can also be hilarious - like when trying to talk, drink or smooch!

What I dislike is the taste of those plastic gloves all dentists seem to wear these days! Your mouth tastes like you've been sucking a condom (NO, I haven't - I mean what I imagine it could taste like!)

Love,

Ian

• Mulan
    Mulan
    We do everything we can to encourage people to come in regularly. Recently, we started offering paraffin hand dips to patients while they relax and have a massage. These are adults who were so traumatized by dentists when they were kids that they get panic attacks just making an appointment. We are undoing decades of negative experiences, one pampered patient at a time.

That sounds heavenly. Interesting what you said about adults traumatized by dentists when they were kids. My brother reminded me last week that when we were kids, we didn't get anaesthetic when we had dental work. That was in the 50's. ..............something about thinking kids didn't need it, or that it was bad for kids. Can't remember. All I know is I am terrified of pain and going to the dentist. I make it very clear to each dentist I see, how afraid I am, so they really work to make me more comfortable.

• Princess
    Princess
    What I dislike is the taste of those plastic gloves all dentists seem to wear these days! Your mouth tastes like you've been sucking a condom (NO, I haven't - I mean what I imagine it could taste like!)

Ian, that's hilarious! The commercials I hear on the radio for a particular "spa dentist" advertises flavored gloves. I was thinking about that yesterday when I had a mouth full of plain old dentist gloves.

I didn't eat until 2:00 that afternoon because I didn't trust eating when I couldn't actually feel my tongue. Not a good thing. I didn't want to wake up this morning with a chewed up tongue. You have to be careful when you have a numb mouth.

• missy04
    missy04

I feel yer pain

My last dentist appt was about four years ago,..and the reason I haven't been BACK..other than I dont have the money lol..is this lady stuck a huge *** needle in my gums and my whole face went numb (after she hit mah nerve) and felt like it slid off my skull. So i couldn't eat or talk very well and was drooling the rest of the day. YUCK!

~Sarah

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit