Why Is Alcohol "Good" and Marijuana "Bad"?

by FMZ 56 Replies latest jw friends

• FMZ
    FMZ

Up until a short time ago (a couple of years maybe), insufficient research had been done on either of these drugs to say what the long term effects were. Only recently has it come out that certain kinds of alcohol (red wine etc) can reduce blood pressure.

So, with this in mind (the fact that they could actually be as bad or harmless as each other), why the heck is marijuana illegal and alcohol fine?

FMZ

• under74
    under74

....um...because they came up with the term "gateway drug" and they can't go back on it now? It's more important to be consistant than right? I don't know FMZ....

• heathen
    heathen

I've often asked myself that question. I took an aol poll that showed 60% in favor of decriminalizing MJ . They tried making alchohol illegal but low and behold the mob became the hero and they had to legalize it again because of the violence .There are all these myths about it like it being a gateway drug and crap like that and the so called "christian right" gets involved heavily on the issue. I always say let freedom ring and let people do what they feel like . I just don't like kids getting ahold of the stuff even tho it's not that dangerous but does interfere with concentration .

• gypsywildone
    gypsywildone

It's vice versa to me. I'd take 20 people smoking pot at my house to one sloppy drunk weaving all over the place, slurring their speech, repeating themselves, & just being generally irritating.

I've nothing against a few drinks or a little buzz. But there have been too many alcoholics in my extended family, I can't stand the sight of them anymore.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    why the heck is marijuana illegal and alcohol fine?

Habit; tradition. Humans discovered alcohol long before they discovered cannibas (or coca leaves for that matter). Give it 20 or 30 years and marijuana will be legalized. I don't know about other drugs, but I don't see where marijuana is any worse than alcohol. Now whether smoking it is healthy or not, I don't know.

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

its all got to do with money and the ability to tax a product before they can make it legal to the public.

nothing at all to do with the affects of the drug. the almighty dollar rules. its a whole lot easier to grow a weed yourself than it is to brew up some budwieser yourself.so.. how can they tax it ? hence it stays illegal.

• codeblue
    codeblue

FMZ: Don't know the answer to your question but the answer for me, the 2 times I tried Marijuana, I got extremely sick.......I know I have severe allergic reactions to it.....(the first time I had heart palpitations and thought I was going to have a heart attack)

therefore: I can only drink alcohol.........(yes, I enjoy alcohol)

(at least I can do that)......lol

CodeBlue

• Bryan
    Bryan

I have known several people throughout my life who have smoked pot for years. Most of them are just wierd or way too easy going to advance in life.

Alcohol, lets say one drink a day, is actually healthy for you. Many high dollar deals have been stuck over Mac Allen on the rocks. Not sure how much would get done if everyone was toking.

I have smoked... don't any more. Don't judge those who do, unless your on the road.

My oP.

Bryan

• FMZ
    FMZ

I'm amazed that right now, it seems that the consensus is that it is not actually inherently "wrong" to smoke marijuana. No more wrong than alcohol, as far as the thread title goes.

Interesting point by Bryan. But still, there is a time and a place for everything. I certainly don't think weed in the workplace is a great idea. Then again, neither is alcohol in many situations. Marijuana is to relaxed as alcohol is to un-coordinated.

Just a few thoughts. I am truly amazed at the current response.

And Codeblue, I am sorry that you are unable to enjoy the pleasures of relaxation with it. Maybe it was just bad pot?

FMZ

• gumby
    gumby
    So, with this in mind why the heck is marijuana illegal and alcohol fine?

I just knew I corrupted the poor little bastard

http://www.erowid.org/plants/cannabis/cannabis_faq1.shtml

Gumby

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit