So is there a new stance on B-days or what? Someone please explain........

by WingCommander 48 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

*** w03 11/15 p. 27 Questions From Readers ***

It would also be inappropriate for Christians to attach special significance to the fact that a ring had a birthstone. Jehovah?s Witnesses do not celebrate birthdays. This is because such celebrations focus too much attention on the individual and the only birthdays of Bible record are those of rulers who did not serve God.?Genesis 40:20; Matthew 14:6-10.

• vitty
    vitty

Oh yes, and that other one ummm now who`s was it. Oh that`s right it was Jesus Christs!!!!!

But they dont mention him much so I forgot, and didnt he get presents?

Its strange how giving a new baby, cards and presents is O.K, but after that no way.

And how do we know that the early christians didnt celebrate birthdays, is this true or another fantasy.

I was told the jews didnt celebrate birthdays either is that true and dont they today?

• XQsThaiPoes
    XQsThaiPoes

alt Sorry blondie it is an "FoR". It does not say weither a b-day is a false religious belief or violates a bible priciple. It simply says "bad light". Oddly out of the 3 birthdays or so in the bible dogs are refered to many more times and in much worse light yet many JWs own dogs. Go figure?

• evergreen
    evergreen
    Oddly out of the 3 birthdays or so in the bible dogs are refered to many more times and in much worse light yet many JWs own dogs. Go figure?

rrrrhhrrrh( so er what are you trying to say) wuff wuff!

• M.J.
    M.J.

So the number 1 reason for not celebrating birthdays is that it "focuses too much attention on the individual"????? Such reasoning smacks of cult behavior:

Under "Behavior Control" of the BITE model listed in Combatting Cult Mind Control/Releasing the Bonds :

Individualism discouraged; "group think" prevails

The other reason, "the only birthdays of Bible record are those of rulers who did not serve God." is just plain weak.

Do these 2 "earth shattering" reasons credibly make ALL JWs unwaveringly reject the celebration of birthdays? Nope. It's the fact that "God's Organization" tells them not to celebrate birthdays.

Point 7 of Lifton's 8 cult criteria:

Doctrine over person?The imposition of group beliefs over individual experience, conscience, and integrity

point 5 of Singer's 6 conditions for thought reform:

Creating a tightly controlled system with a closed system of logic, wherein those who dissent are made to feel as though their questioning indicates that there is something inherently wrong with them.

points 1 and 7 under "thought control" of Hassan's BITE model:

Need to internalize the group's doctrine as "Truth"
    • Rejection of rational analysis, critical thinking, constructive criticism. No critical questions about leader, doctrine, or policy seen as legitimate.

• amac
    amac

XQs,

That is the "article" I remember reading, thanks for posting it. I knew it said something about B-Days being bad, and we all know that all it takes is for the society to say "bad light" and B-Days are a no-no. It's funny how contradictory it is. I've often thought about other things in the bible that have been cast in a "bad light"...dogs is a good example...can anyone think of any others to help point out the contradiction?

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

Well, the Bible makes only one reference to a "siesta".

King Eglon was taking a siesta when someone came in and stabbed him. The Bible gives a very gory account of his fat covering the hilt of the sword. This leads to a bunch of vengeance killings. So, the only reference to a siesta in the Bible is associated with murder and mayhem.

• amac
    amac

Good one!

• blondie
    blondie

I would not consider that a clear endorsement of celebrating birthdays by JWs. I do see it as a way to fool non-JWs into thinking that the WTS is not a cult.

Remember when they changed the policy regarding blood transfusions from being a DFing offense to the individual DAing themselves if they had one? This change in WTS policy was not put in any publication and was merely read to the body of elders. This was considered a non-letter and copies were not given to the elders.

Look up "hypocrisy" in the dictionary and see a picture of the GB.

Blondie

• Happy Guy :)
    Happy Guy :)

I do see it as a way to fool non-JWs into thinking that the WTS is not a cult.

I couldn't agree with you more Blondie.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit