So is there a new stance on B-days or what? Someone please explain........

by WingCommander 48 Replies latest jw friends

• XQsThaiPoes
    XQsThaiPoes

Lets take the term "bad light". It is a real telling JW term. Things the wts have said the bible puts in "bad light" are jehovah, christianity, doing business with JWs, hanging out (yikes i had no idea), jesus, Jewish rulers, and the list goes on. If you search "bad light" in the wtlib you find the wts says lots of things are in "bad light" even things the wts promote.

THe best synonym for "bad light" I can find is stereotype. For example 911 put islam in a bad light. It does not mean that there is anything wrong with islam, but it has a negative stereotype of terrorism attached to it. So like "hanging out", birthdays are in "bad light" because bad things can happen (probally because of too much booze back then). There own argument implodes because many JWs hang out. Hanging out is not a dfing offense yet it is rated the same as birthdays. Weird eh?

• kwintestal
    kwintestal
    It would also be inappropriate for Christians to attach special significance to the fact that a ring had a birthstone. Jehovah?s Witnesses do not celebrate birthdays. This is because such celebrations focus too much attention on the individual and the only birthdays of Bible record are those of rulers who did not serve God

If a Jehovah's Witnesses are aloud to celebrate their wedding anniversaries because marriage is "God's institution", then I can celebrate the anniversary of my children's birth because child birth is also "God's institution".

Corvin

A good example of a JW loophole!! Um... if we can't celebrate birthdays because they "focus too much attention on the individual" they why are we allowed to celebrate anniversaries which do the same thing?? (Though I do remember at an circuit assembly a few years ago, it was mentioned that it was ok to celebrate anniversaries, but one shouldn't put too much emphasis on it, eg. big party, presents etc. Yet, do you think anyone listened?? NO!) Funny how the WTS doesn't listen to their own counsel about things not having religious/pagan ties anymore... we had a talk a few months back about images, and how a lot of images we have today and use on clothing, for decorating, etc. (certain animals, plants, sun, stars, etc.) were once used in religious/pagan practices, but that it's ok to use them today as long as it doesn't have that meaning in your area today...and all I could think about was bdays, Christmas, New Year's etc. What's the difference?? Our daughter is attending her first birthday party today, and both of the kids were just invited to another one next week. They are so excited!! I made a cake for Mr. Kwin last week (late bday cake) and mine is a couple of weeks, plus I just sent my mom a bday card for the first time in 8 years (not a JW, so a big deal). I can't wait for her reaction! "Mrs. Kwin" (haven't been able to register and get my own name!)

• house
    house

There is no new stance on B-days, they are still considered a paganistic custom, non-christian based. There is nothing in the bible that supports them, and the only evidence of them in the bible leads to the death of someone, and there was never a mention of them ever being celebrated by Jesus the son of god. A wedding aniversary has no paganistic backrounds.

• No Apologies
    No Apologies

House said:

There is no new stance on B-days, they are still considered a paganistic custom, non-christian based. There is nothing in the bible that supports them, and the only evidence of them in the bible leads to the death of someone, and there was never a mention of them ever being celebrated by Jesus the son of god. A wedding aniversary has no paganistic backrounds.

Have you even read the rest of this thread?? There is nothing in the Bible that supports wedding anniversaries either, or PiƱatas or luaus either, so why are they permitted?

btw, welcome to the board, stick around and you will learn a lot.

No Apologies

• house
    house

As a bible student with JW's, I have studied a vast majority of all religions, and just happend to run into this web site, so I am not here to offend anyone, just here to get people's perspective. As far as im concerned an aniversary has no paganistic backrounds, and yes I have read most of the other posts, but to me they all seem to be beating around the bush. To me it is common sense, if you consider yourself a christian why participate in paganistic activities? A Marriage as stated before is a relationship that is looked very highly upon, and divorce is considered disgusting in gods eyes, so common sense would tell us that it is oky to celebrate the years that you are with the one we love. The wages of sin is death....so why would we want to celebrate growing old and dying when we were meant to live forever? The bible is a book of events, and accounts put out there for us to live from, and when Jesus died for us he relieved us of all the past laws, and we are to uphold the ten commandments, and gods government is the only government that will relieve us of this present system of things, the government here on earth has yet to be able to give to humans what the bible promises, and apostasy is looked very badly upon. 1tim. 4:1 warns that some will fall away from the faith paying attention to misleading inspired utterances and teaching of demons, and I believe that some on this website may be abandoning or deserting the worship and service of god, rebelling against Jehovah god, and rejecting his teachings because it is easier to fall short than to walk in the right path. Just like you would take the time to reasearch a project and put your all into it, and maybe even going a little further than you should just to make that grade.....the bible is that same research project, you dig into it, you research it, and you use any means you have to make sure that you make that grade in gods eyes because his word is not there for you to say...well I will celebrate b'Days even though they are spoken harshly about in the bible, but marriage anniversaries are not mentioned, so I can celebrate B'days just because of that. Gods giving you the message by giving poor examples of B'Days, and speaking highly about the bond of marriage....common sense!

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

No Birthdays for you!(The birthday Nazi)...OUTLAW

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

House,

Take a look at the following link, where this has been discussed before. Where are birthdays forbidden in Scriptures?

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/10/79690/1.ashx

• house
    house

To me they are discussed enough to tell me that they are not looked highly upon. Look at it like this, if you are reading something that is insinuating that something is scalding hot, but never comes right out and says that it's, would you touch it? to me again it would be common sense.

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

House,

There are only three instances where birthdays are mentioned in the Bible. No where does it say one way or the other how we are to view them. It merely states what occurred at birthdays. But how can it be construed that all birthdays are bad because some people died at birthday celebrations? The fact that thousands of birthdays have been repeatedly celebrated without deaths occurring prove that this type of thinking is a fallacy.

• house
    house

As detailed and as big as the bible is, what then was the purpose of bringing out the accounts of those three B-days?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit