'Ray'

by WildHorses 22 Replies latest social entertainment

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

Sixy, I didn't think you were that old!!!

wow, what a great memory to have been there when they "created" that song.

J

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

Six,

I wish I had such talent and imagination trying to fill time in front of an audience. I should have tried breaking out in spontaneous song and invited the sisters to join in harmony. Yeah, that would have worked. Except I'm white, tight, cant compose or sing.

I do admit that many times while in front of a JW audience I heard in the back of my head the song playing to me subconscious, "Hit the road Jack".

Thank you Ray Charles.

Jst2laws

• teejay
    teejay

Haven't seen it yet but definitely will.

A couple months back, at two different movies I saw the trailer for Ray at the theater. Both times there was a dude sitting down front that found himself clapping at the end. Must have been moved, I guess.

That fellow was me. Even watching the trailer I knew the film would be great and Jamie's performance exceptional. Can't wait to see it.

• WildHorses
    WildHorses
    Even watching the trailer I knew the film would be great

Actually, that is why I decided to go see the movie. At first I had planned on waiting until it came out on video, but there was a 7 minute trailer at moviefone about the movie and after seeing it I had to go.

• Mulan
    Mulan

They had a very hard time getting that movie financed and released. I read an article in the paper on Friday where they interviewed the producer. He got financing, all of the money needed, from one of Ray's wealthy friends several years ago. None of the other regular backers would touch the project. No one in Hollywood thought it could be a successful box office attraction. Then, when the movie was finished they couldn't get anyone to distribute it for 3 years.

Finally it was released, after his death. RC cooperated fully with the writers and, much of it that they put in the movie, comes from personal interviews and are not in the book on which the movie is based.

I am looking forward to seeing it too.

• WildHorses
    WildHorses

Thanks, Mulan,

I had no idea about any of that and to tell you the truth it ticks me off to no end. To think that Ray could have had the chance to see just how much people appreciated seeing his life story and it was taken away from him. That sucks!

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

*passing a box of tissues to Mulan for when she goes to see the movie*

You HAVE to see it, Mulan. Great music and great story.

Joy

• hemp lover
    hemp lover

I saw it today, too. I kept getting chills through the whole thing - Jamie Foxx wasn't acting, he was channeling. I read an interview that said Ray Charles got to "see" the completed movie before he died and he was very pleased. He also wouldn't sign off on Foxx playing him in the movie until he met him and played piano with him. Foxx is a classically trained pianist.

• Scarlet
    Scarlet

RT and I saw this movie on Friday and thought it was excellent. It was very well done. I too think Jamie Foxx Deserves the Oscar.

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

I can't wait to see this! I've always thought that Jaime had a lot of untapped talent and what talent he did show was underappreciated. I'm so glad to see him work at something of this caliber!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit