Dr. Phil wants to talk CULTS

by ChakkaConned 64 Replies latest jw friends

• Fleur
    Fleur
    Isolation is a key tool that is used by JWs to bring people in, and prevent those inside from leaving. The WTS also exploits peoples' fears by painting a bleak picture of promiscuity, STDs, unwanted pregnancies, drug addiction, etc. for those who leave the group.

DFing and DAing is another isolation technique - and it plays on a person's genuine fears of losing contact with loved ones.

My bet is that this is the road Dr. Phil will take when he deals with the cult issue

another brilliant post, Scully! I saw the show yesterday and I love how you summed it up. That post is a keeper for sure.

I hope that Dr. Phil has re-thought his position of not discussing religion, because he once said that politics and religion were two subjects he steered clear of because so much of it was subjective. But I have written to him more than once in the past about JW's, I wrote him about it back when he was on Oprah before he had his own show. Maybe now he will take a step, even if he doesn't mention the religion by name, just what they do, that will help people realize that the JW's are a cult because of what they teach.

I would think that Mario's story would definitely get their attention...the thing is that since they were both exjw's at the time the tragedy happened, would they tie it in with the cult issue? what do you guys think?

• NewLight2
    NewLight2

Ouote:
    "I would think that Mario's story would definitely get their attention...the thing is that since they were both exjw's at the time the tragedy happened, would they tie it in with the cult issue? what do you guys think?"

Why wouldn't it tie into the cult issue? Marina wants to live with her JW grandparents so that she can continue to be a JW but Mario wants to keep her far away from that cult. Marina could bnefit from Dr Phil's input.

Newlight2

• Fleur
    Fleur
    Why wouldn't it tie into the cult issue? Marina wants to live with her JW grandparents so that she can continue to be a JW but Mario wants to keep her far away from that cult. Marina could bnefit from Dr Phil's input.

very good point, NL2. I agree that she could benefit from Dr. Phil's input, Mario too.

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

Cool!!!

Please inform us all when the show on this will air.

DY

• PinTail
    PinTail

If you would not do this they then one would fail to see the point of all this, namely to use what ever means to apeal to peoples good sense and begin to draw familys together again. Familys are so darn important once they are gone that is it.

• justhuman
    justhuman

Good

• Scully
    Scully

UPDATE:

The Dr. Phil show that is scheduled to air on Tuesday, May 3, 2005 is going to feature the cult group of fundamentalist Mormons that still practice polygamy:

Tuesday
    Brainwashed Brides
    Imagine growing up in a family with 56 siblings and a father who keeps dozens of wives. It's happening in an unusual religious sect in Arizona and Utah, where girls as young as 14 are forced to marry men three times their age and have as many children as possible. Meet two teen girls who escaped this world of polygamy and alleged abuse a year ago. Fearing that they'll be damned to hell for running away, they're even considering going back. Can Dr. Phil help them leave their past behind?

While it doesn't feature JWs specifically, I'm sure there are many parallels that can be drawn from the program between this group and JWs, and advice that will be useful for helping people get out of the JWs and avoid getting entangled with JWs and similar groups. In fact, it might be a good one to mention to JW relatives, because JWs are NOT being featured... and they won't feel any threats about watching potentially Apostate TM viewpoints.

• Will Power
    Will Power

Dr Phil plays twice in this house sometimes..... Esp. when there is something I want the kids to hear.....

I think tues will be one of those days.

OMG zoolander is on right now.....mugato is brainwashing derek hahahahah he's explaining the REAL truth about child labour laws......
    the whole thing is like an animated, exaggerated WT study !!!

do what you've been trained to do...

will

• talesin
    talesin

I would do it in a heartbeat, but only on Oprah. It could be a full hour, and how about Donald? We could have several of us whose families have been ripped apart by the cult. I don't like some of Dr. Phil's tactics. He is too strict a behaviorist and well beyond my personal comfort level. Still, he has done some good work.

t

*zoolander hahahaha, love those two!

• Double Edge
    Double Edge
    Here is the "snail mail" address for the Dr Phil show - maybe if he gets enough mail about the JWs, he'll be more inclined to take a closer look at them and how they split families apart.

BINGO ! I think you're right....at least he might make some points about cults that JWs watching will think about.

What is the mailing address for Dr. Phil?

Dr. Phil show
    5482 Wilshire Boulevard #1902
    Los Angeles, CA 90036

Thanks Skully

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit