JW Organization On Autopilot

by AlanF 82 Replies latest jw friends

• Copernicus
    Copernicus

And would you say that you qualify as an "objective" party? It wouldn’t appear so to me.

You committed libel with actual malice.
    Looks like the burden of proof is now on you.

Court is in session, it's your turn on the stand.

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

Yes, the Society is on autopilot. Look out for that mountain! :)

• larc
    larc

Mishnah,

The detail you asked from me is found on another thread, "Rutherford and burlesuqe", which I just brought back up to the top.

• AlanF
    AlanF

Yes, Mishnah, you're still an idiot. You've missed a very simple point: I'm not claiming to prove anything -- I'm simply presenting information that has been around for a long time in other venues. In fact, I explicitly stated that I'm not, because proof will be presented in books not yet published. It would be wrong for me to set forth such information because it would be stealing the thunder of those authors. Unlike JWs, I retain a sense of ethics. If you get impatient, Mishnah, just remember: "wait on Jehovah".

AlanF

• larc
    larc

Mishna,

You said you wanted some facts so that "we can trace the person's history at Bethel." Does this "we" include you? I doubt it. I think you are just blowing smoke. You won't come up with anything.

Since the facts were put together my me and are independent of anyone else's research, I will list them.

Berta L. Teel born 1910 in Pitt County North Carolina. Moved to Akron, Ohio, circa 1920. Married Alfred L. Peale, Nov. 10, 1923. They did not have any children. After about 15 years of marriage, she left her husband in June 1938 and moved to Bethel. On Nov. 27, 1939 her husband filed for divorce. The divorce papers were sent to Bethel. The divorce was granted March 28, 1940, for "gross neglect of duty." In the summer of 1939 Berta spent two months in Europe with Rutherford, Bonnie (Boyd) Heath (a close personal friend), William Heath, and Knorr. She lived at Beth Sarim until it was sold 1948. She died in the San Diego are in the late'70's or early '80's.

That should give you plenty to go on. Now, let us see what else you can find out. I don't think you will make the effort.

• Fredhall
    Fredhall

I can see that larc is blowing the same amount of smoke as AlanF. I wander who is going to win this one?

• AlanF
    AlanF

Hi Osarsif:

I had gotten the impression from various sources that Mary Rutherford was not an active JW since the late 1920s, although I never read that in print. The son Malcolm was certainly not an active JW, right up until his death in the late 1980s, and he refused to talk about the JWs with anyone. Jim Penton tells me that Malcolm himself seems to have had a son who was a JW, who lived in Ireland in the early 1970s. Given that, and your comments about the footnote in the Proclaimers book, the situation is quite unclear. The footnote reads:

*** jv 89 7 Advertise the King and the Kingdom! (1919-1941) ***
    Brother Rutherford was survived by his wife, Mary, and their son, Malcolm. Because Sister Rutherford had poor health and found the winters in New York (where the Watch Tower Society’s headquarters were located) difficult to endure, she and Malcolm had been residing in southern California, where the climate was better for her health. Sister Rutherford died December 17, 1962, at the age of 93. Notice of her death, appearing in the Monrovia, California, Daily News-Post, stated: “Until poor health confined her to her home, she took an active part in the ministerial work of Jehovah’s Witnesses.”
    The footnote is significant for what it does not say. It fails to mention that Mary and Joseph were estranged. It fails to mention Malcolm's status as a JW. It fails to mention when Mary and Malcolm began living in southern California. The statement about the death notice is particularly interesting. One would think that if the Society had direct knowledge of Mary's status upon death -- which certainly could have been obtained from JWs who knew her at the time of her death -- the statement would have been something like, "Mary was actively engaged in the field ministry until 19XX, but poor health then confined her to her home." Also note that whenever the Society uses a quotation from some source to make a very simple point, there is usually something that they want to hide, and so instead of making a direct statement whose accuracy they would be accountable for, they quote someone else in such a way as to mislead the reader and absolve themselves of responsibility for accuracy. Note that the newspaper statement says nothing about when Mary was confined to her home. She and Malcolm were living in southern California since the 1920s, and the newspaper statement is consistent with that. Also note that Malcolm was born roughly about 1900, and so if he and his mother were living together, and she had poor health, it's likely that he was caring for her, so that she may well have been confined to her home since sometime in the 1920s.

At this point it's not clear whether Mary Rutherford was considered by the JW community at her death to have been an active JW, an inactive JW, or not a JW at all. Further research is necessary to resolve the question.

AlanF

• Amazing
    Amazing

Hi Alan: There may be something else to consider about the Society quoting the newspaper:

Notice of her death, appearing in the Monrovia, California, Daily News-Post, stated: “Until poor health confined her to her home, she took an active part in the ministerial work of Jehovah’s Witnesses.”
    Usually, death notices, beyond basic vital statistics, are normally submitted by family or representatives of the deceased's estate. The above comment in the newspaper suggests that it is something submitted by someone outside the newsroom. I would be interested to know 'who' submitted the death notice and additional comments. IF they were submitted by someone from the Watch Tower Society, then basically they carefully craft the comments, and then later "quote" the same comments as though is was an indepentent source. IF Malcom Rutherford or a family member submitted those comments, then in all likelihood, Mary Rutherford may well have been an active, or at least loyal JW up to the time of her death. - Amazing
  • larc
    larc

Fred,

I have a copy of Berta's marriage license. I also have a copy of the divorce papers. Bonnie and William Heath, both loyal witnesses, talk about Berta in the Olin Moyle trial. I have a cousin who visited Berta at Beth Sharim in 1944, two years after Rutherford's death. No, Fred, I am not blowing smoke.

• Yadirf
    Yadirf

AlanF

You unashamedly said:

Unlike JWs, I retain a sense of ethics.
    What a JOKE!!! Hahahahaha! You have a sense of ethics about like Hitler did. Quit lying Alan. Do you need me to furnish proof of your so-called "ethics"?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit