What Are You All Reading?!

by Doubtfully Yours 65 Replies latest social current

• Mutz
    Mutz

Right now I have a stack to get through including James Joyce - Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man, The Assasination of Julius Caesar - Michael Parenti and sitting on the shelf staring at me is a copy of War and Peace I bought during a moment of madness in an Oxfam book shop.
    I have read Dune about five times and Lord of the Rings about the same amount, great stories you can really immerse yourself in.

• Special K
    Special K

I just finished "Angels and Demons" .. Dan Brown

Someone recomended

"Fall on your knees"..

Has anyone read that?.. and did they find it any good.

Princess.

I enjoyed the Celestine Prophesy..good book.

SK

• recoveringjw
    recoveringjw

Just finished Five for silver (John the Eunuch mystery) by Mary Reed and Eric Mayer

I don't usually like collaborations, but this was pretty good (Although I liked Stephen King's collaboration with Peter Straub when they did the Talisman)

I am reading A monstrous regiment of women, by Laurie R. King. She is a mystery writer who has a great series about a female cop in San Fransisco. The book I am reading now is about a student of Sherlock Holmes, Mary Russell(the author pretends that Mary Russell was a real person, but I don't think it is meant to be historically accurate). I am also a sucker for Robert B. Parker and his Spenser and Sunny Randall series. I tried to read a John Sandford book recently. but it bored me to tears and that is the first book I have not finished in a long time. Oooh, I also like Jan Burke and Mike Connelly.

I also just read Dean Koontz' new book, The Taking. It was great, but I love Dean Koontz, so perhaps I am biased.

For all those out there who like mystery/suspense novels, I found a great website: www.stopyourekillingme.com

It lists authors and their books and you can look up books by their main or recurring characters.

Cheers

Bethany

• twolips
    twolips

Hey Gwenth..I'm in the middle of "I'm just not that into you" too. It does make you laugh. So what do you think , do women do the same thing? I kind of think so.

I'm almost finished with Angels and Demons , it was recomended here. Also just started The book of Secrets by Deepak Chopra ,but I fall asleep when I read it , kind of like I did when I used to pray at night ;-)

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

I'm reading a self-help book, "Completing the Sex Act When You're Snockered".

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

Wow, thanks to all for your replies. I feel I'm in the e-presence of a well-read group.

A while back I read 'Watchers' by Dean Koontz and that book hunted me for the longest time. You see, when I read I really get into the story and even pick a character and identify with him/her.

You've given me a wide variety of themes and authors. Will make my selection soon and try to read 1 book per month. I may even search for a book club!

DY

• Angharad
    Angharad

I really like Dean Koontz too. The Watchers was the first of his books that I read and got me hooked on him

I've just started reading Odd Thomas (Koontz).

Still waiting for the final part of this Christopher Snow trilogy

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

WOW, Ang! Ya gotta get Dean Koontz's "Strangers"....I was makin' buttonholes in my seat the whole time I read it! LOL!

• Angharad
    Angharad

Yes I've read that one Frannie - I really liked it. False Memory & From the corner of his eye were good ones too.

• Special K
    Special K

My 15 year old has just got hooked on a Stephen King series

The Gunslinger series: Wizard and Glass

Wastelands

and others from that series..

Special K

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit