Suicide.... how do you view people who "attempt" it?

by outbutnotdown 86 Replies latest jw friends

• outbutnotdown
    outbutnotdown

Anybody who has read my other recent posts...... don't worry, this is absolutely not about me feeling that way... I'm very happy, thanks.....

My roommate, however, had a friend who committed suicide a couple of weeks ago and she just broke up with her boyfriend and he was saying things similar to what the guy who committed suicide awhile back was saying just before he took his life. It is freaking her out.

I won't really give my opinion yet on what I feel about people who commit, or attempt to commit suicide. To be honest, my opinion may be a little jaded. I'll explain the reason for this later, but for now, I just wanted to get other peoples' views of it without me telling my story possibly swaying their opinion.

Brad

• hubert
    hubert

Suicide...Escape from life's hardships.... from reality....a way out.... It's too bad that this happens to a lot of good people. There are other alternatives. You just have to look for them. But, I really don't know all the answers...It's just sad. I guess if you are at that stage, you aren't looking anymore.

• Mecurious?
    Mecurious?

My heart goes out to them. I've been down in my life. At one point I even wondered if life was worth living. That was about 20 years ago. But, I never tried to take my own life. Neither do I judge those who take their own lives.

I would suggest they get help. Its strange but the same person who commits suicide today could win the lottery tommorow or something else great could happen for them. Life is not easy and people have to be strong. We can't always get what we want. But usually if we go about it the right way we can get what we need.

M'

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

Unless someone has actually sunk to the depths of agonizing emotional pain that makes death seem a blessing, their judgment is pretty much meaningless, because they know nothing about what they are judging. It may seem an extremely selfish act, but the person who kills themselves feels certain that the ones left behind are now better off. In the eyes of one who commits suicide, their demise is a beautiful gift to the world.

Only those who have been there, really understand what I am saying.

j

• Brummie
    Brummie

JamesT, that was a great response! 3 x amen.

I do wish people who consider it would research how it affects those they leave behind though, but I understand why they dont.

Brummie

Only those who have been there, really understand what I am saying.
  • WildHorses
    WildHorses

To me, it depends. I'd never consider killing myself over a broken relationship. I have however come to the conclusion that if I were ever diagnosed with a terminal disease (cancer, Alzheimer's) and got to the point that I could no longer care for myself. That I will end my own life. If I found out I had Alzheimer's, I would take my life as soon as I got to the point that I started forgetting things.

• kls
    kls

Well i know that after my dad killed himself other kids and adults treated me like a plague , they would not talk to me or come near me and this went on for at least a year . Then when i met my now husband his parents didn't like me because of the suicide , they would talk about me and stare like i had three heads. Now if my dad had died of let's say cancer people would be saying they are sorry and giving sympathy but if they take their own life the family will take the burden for it.

• hubert
    hubert

KLS <> I think it's just because people don't know what to say. I don't think it has anything to do with suicide itself. I feel that way at funerals....What do you say? How can you express your true feelings? You can't say..."Hi, how are you"? or Nice to see you again, (even thought it's you relatives funeral, etc.). Most people (including me) don't know how to handle it.

I will say, however, that I'm sorry to hear your Dad did this, and you lost him and he lost you, even though I don't know when this happened. The feelings are still there. So sorry.

Hubert

• kls
    kls

Hubert it wasn't that they did not know what to say , it was more like i was sick or there was something wrong with me because of what he did . I was in junior high school and the other kids would look around the corner at me and laugh or run , honestly it was like i had this horrible disease and it was all over my body ,even my Home Ec teacher made nasty comments to me and i had enough , i walked up to her punched her in the mouth she and her chair went flying and to this day i don't regret it. I am sure others were treated with sorrow and respect but in my case people were cruel and uncaring and to this day i can hear the snickers.

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

i've known a few people who have attempted and a few who succeeded.

the younger people seemed to just feel like there was no future. one had joined the marines to spite his family then the time came for him to go and he tried to get out of it and of course you cant get out of it... felt like his life was out of his own control ..killed himself right in front of his mother. .. . some got messed up on serious drugs and were just not themselves. some are victims of horrible crimes ..some their lives have been devastated thru the loss of a loved one .Life is so ugly sometimes that there is beauty in the relief of death. however wrong that statement is, a lot of people have been there.

it breaks my heart and i feel like they are deserving of compassion. and their families as well deserve the right to grieve, accept support and comfort..(hugs kls)

its a complex subject, which is why i always felt like the " you'll never be resurected if you commit suicide" blanket statement was bogus. there are too many different reasons that people choose that route for them to be judged so harshly.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit