THE INFORMATION AGE AND NEW JW MARKETING CHANGES

by seven006 62 Replies latest jw friends

• willyloman
    willyloman
    Loss of money due to law suits seems to have taken over the power of angel protection

The angels have disappeared, including those two big guys, remember them, who used to go door to door with that young sister who called on the serial killer.

• seven006
    seven006

***The angels have disappeared, including those two big guys, remember them, who used to go door to door with that young sister who called on the serial killer.***

Ya, isn't that the one about the guy killing the Avon lady who showed up after the JW lady left? I think the governing body was getting wind of too many sisters selling Avon and all of a sudden a story lands on their desk about the evilness of selling Avon products instead of selling watchtowers.

It's amazing how those stories continue to have impeccable timing that coincide with what the governing body is trying to make a point about. Maybe god is involved? Either that or the watchtower will soon be coming up with a new advertising slogan for their TV ads, "ignorance is a terrible thing to waste".

Dave

• wheres caleb?
    wheres caleb?

Right on Dave.

I really enjoyed reading your post. Great insight and irrefutable truth. As long as they believe that God is on their side, who knows what they are capable of. People who believe in absolutes, fly jet airliners into buildings. JWs preach to count hours and that epitomizes spirituality to them.

I have said it before and I will say it again, JWs believe that they have dedicated themselves to Jehovah; but in actuality, have dedicated themselves to missing the point.

JWs believe that they have a monopoly on 'truth'. They cannot prove that and the internet proves it. They can put a spin on anything, but their allegiance is still dependent on ignorant followers. (Those that represent their die-hard faith)

I want to be a 'prince' in the new system. Oh, but I can't be because I am not a faithful JW. Whatever that means.

If they truly believed in acountability, they would never have the record of deceit and cruelty that follows them.

• Farkel
    Farkel

Greetings Dave,

You said:

: In Mulan's thread she told us about a letter read at the last book study NOW telling the magazine sales staff to avoid "no trespassing, no JW's" signs. Why? because god told them too?

The issue was NEVER about visiting every house including those whose occupants had a sign that said "NO DUBS!" The issue was ALWAYS about book and magazine sales. The WTS could exist just fine (but not expand as they've expanded) if the R&F just bought magazines and books and gave them away. The profits of the WTS were made at point-of-purchase by the little dumb dubbies. The issues was about stirring up crap to make the dubs feel like victims. Rutherford started this self-made martyrdom in the 1930's. Force a dubbie to break a law or just break a code of common decency. See that dubbie get harrassed, yelled at, shot or even arrested and then claim "this dubbie was persecuted for Jehovah's sake. This PROVES WE have the truth because that is what Jesus said would happen."

The Legal Department in Crooklyn has decided that tactic, while effective decades ago is no longer working in today's world. Such tactics make dubbies look WACKO! Well, DUH! They ARE wacko.

Of course, "God" had nothing to do with this. It is a totally pragmatic change. This is NOT the 1930's and they know it.

vampire man (nosferatu),

: TV advertising has been around for almost half the lifetime of the watchtower company. Why have they waited this long to try using TV to sell their product?

: I've also asked myself this question, but I always boiled it down to the WTS continuously behind in technology.

I have a different idea. My thought is that they have used the door-to-door work for 120 years and they are not comfortable with mass media. To put it another way, they are afraid of a technology they do not know and have not mastered as they have the door-to-door crap.

They will change their tune, though. That is for sure. The Mormons have done it to their advantage and they have used the door-to-door method longer than the dubbies.

And as Dave has so well brought out: they don't have a CLUE how to deal with the damage the Internet has and will do to them.

Farkel, who hopes he didn't make as many spelling and grammar mistakes as his friend Dave made!

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Dave

Excellent essay

one comment about the media and the WTS use of it.

Years ago they had the radio station. It served a purpose in getting the name out. But I doubt it sold literature. That took the door-to-door salesman. And that might be the real reason it was given up - not enough profits.

I suspect the present test marketing will turn up the same thing. It won't get people to buy the literature. Not enough to pay the advertizing bills. I really doubt this will be used for long.

I think at this point there are so many ex-JWs that almost everyone knows someone who knows someone who is a nice but wacky JW who lets their kids die because of the blood issue. Perhaps a few less will know about the sexual abuse scandal. And now add the power of the internet into the mix. People just aren't as gullible as they used to be.

A few governments are realizing the tax dodges of the WTS and clamping down on them. Law suits are on their tails. There isn't a lot of room to grow. And it is going to get smaller.

So how does one go about informing people in third world countries of the dangers of the WTS?

I really don't think they can fight this for long. Not in anything but third world countries.

• Undaunted Danny
    Undaunted Danny

Right stuff,concise composition you zeroed in on their primary defaults.

In short they are ghouls for god plagiarizers who exploit minorities and ignorance.

Anything for a buck.

• Joker10
    Joker10
    NOW telling the magazine sales staff to avoid "no trespassing, no JW's" signs. Why? because god told them too?

It has ALWAYS been the case.

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Seven, that was an excellent post, very thought provoking and very true.

"They are no longer in charge of their changes, we as exJW's as well as better communication advances are. We force them to talk about exJW's, apostates, the evil media, and the Internet more and more in their publications, local meetings, and world wide assemblies. If we as exJW's along with modern communication advances were not being effective, they would not be talking about us so much as well as making so many changes in their corporate policies."

The above is just so true. ALmost every WT study article you read has something about apostates, I've really begun to think now that we do control what they write in the pages of the Botchtower to some extent.

Children born now will always have had the Internet around them, just like kids born in the early 90s grew up with cellphones, and I grew up in the age of the personal computer.

So, there is no reason in the Western World for anyone to be uninformed, ignorant, because the governments, public school system and libraries, are making huge efforts to get themselves and their customers connected to the World Wide Web.

Information is contagious - forward an email, it can easily reach a million people in a few hours, if your friends pass it on to their friends, etc, etc.

Truthseeker

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

They'll go the way of the Shakers, the Oneida colony, and all those other turn of the century religions that have petered out.

CG

• seven006
    seven006

WC
    ***I have said it before and I will say it again, JWs believe that they have dedicated themselves to Jehovah; but in actuality, have dedicated themselves to missing the point.***

That is true, as well as sad. They cannot see the difference between worshiping a god company and worshiping a god. When the watchtower redefines things such as love, loyalty, obedience, and family, it makes it easy for them to convince their followers of anything. Redefining the basic needs and emotions of a human is the principal tool of brainwashing and is the first red flag of exposing it as a cult.

Doug,

***I have a different idea. My thought is that they have used the door-to-door work for 120 years and they are not comfortable with mass media. To put it another way, they are afraid of a technology they do not know and have not mastered as they have the door-to-door crap. ***

The door to door crap as you put it cost's the watchtower company nothing. They have a voluntary sales staff who buy their own sales samples, use their own mode of transportation and supplies the gas for free. They take no commission on their sales and even have their young children do the selling which border lines on breaking child labor laws. They hide behind the name of religion and are protected by the laws that allow religion to get away with things a normal company could never get away with. Mass media cost money, big money, and with a cost of operations to profit ratio, it is just not their best way to get their propaganda out.

***Farkel, who hopes he didn't make as many spelling and grammar mistakes as his friend Dave made! ***

Doug, what was your real purpose in making that statement? Was it necessary? I make my living as an artist and illustrator, not a writer. I don't think the majority of people who post here are professional writers or English teachers. I do not care about making my posts grammatically perfect, I get my thoughts across well enough for people to understand what I am trying to say and to me, it's the content that is more important then the package it is delivered in. I don't think I come off as a functional illiterate even though my dyslexia does show it's misfired brain dysfunction at times. I have better things to concentrate my efforts on that actually pay my bills then making long and perfectly spelled posts on this board.

Making post on this board is something I do when I have the urge and the time to say something that I am thinking about. I am not trying to impress anybody with my writing and spelling skills or lack there of, nor am I in any kind of competition to see who comes off as the smartest person or best article writer. I don't even get pissed off if someone disagrees with me or asks for proof of my statements. I am not that insecure with my thoughts, myself, how I look to others or how I write them down in a post. We are supposed to be friends and I am not Minimus, I don't need the exiting remark. You have known me for several years and you know about my problems with dyslexia, why did you make your comment knowing how hard writing anything is for me? Was it the same reason you make comments about Minimus? Do you think it takes away from attention people give to you and your post's? Please think about that, you are a smart guy in many ways and at one time a good friend, again, was that comment really necessary?

Lee,
    ***So how does one go about informing people in third world countries of the dangers of the WTS?***

I don't know Lee, that's a good question. I would think that different cultures and the way they are structured will be something the JW's will have to tend with. From my understanding and from what I have gathered, most third world countries are made up of tribal or family based communities. There is a lot stronger extended family structure that might make the western tactics the JW''s use harder to sell. Getting a member of a family tribe to turn their backs on their family may be very hard to sell. But, putting their line of fantasy about an earthly paradise and farming grapes the size of basketballs might entice some who are living in poverty. A fantasy dream and a lie disguised as hope might attract a few people who once put their hope and trust in their local voodoo queen or triable war lord.

UDanny
    ***In short they are ghouls for god plagiarizers who exploit minorities and ignorance.***

Exploiting minorities and ignorance is the same exact market drug dealers exploit. Escaping reality is a real profitable market.

Truthseeker
    ***The above is just so true. ALmost every WT study article you read has something about apostates, I've really begun to think now that we do control what they write in the pages of the Botchtower to some extent.***

It wasn't until I was well into my teens before I heard anything substantial about exJW's and apostates. I saw my first ones out side of an assembly in Tacoma Washington. I left the cult twenty years ago and it was many years before I ran into a group of exJW's. I was invited to join an e-mail discussion group that Alan F had started about eight years ago. We quickly became friends. Ever since then the EXJW world has exploded. The Internet has brought them together and given them a voice and that voice makes the watchtower shutter. The Internet is to the watchtower the way the TV show Americas Most Wanted is to the criminals. You can run, but you just can't hide anymore.

Dave

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit