Lawnmowers... what is your oppinion???

by Elsewhere 52 Replies latest jw friends

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

It is getting close to time for me to buy a lawnmower. When I was growing up and cutting my dad's lawn he always had a self-propelled lawnmower. I was very lucky in that I never had to use a push-mower. Lately I have been looking at the electric lawnmowers. I would love to get one because of how quiet they are and because they produce far less polution. So far all of the electric mowers I have seen are not self propelled and I'm wondering if I will regret buying one because of this. I have read some websites that claim that the electric mowers weight far less than gas mowers so the pushing is not a problem.

My lawn will not be large at all... in fact it will be quite small (about 20 feet out from the house on three sides and about 10 feet out on the fourth).

Considering the extension cord for the electric lawnmower, I will have about 11 trees to navigate around, so I am wondering it that will be a fuss.

Has anyone had a chance to compare electric mowers to gas mowers?

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

Electric are far lighter than gas. I also doubt you'll find a self-propelled one because of this. Personally, I wouldn't bother with an electric because of the cord. You'd have to be extra careful that you don't run over it. Also, I don't think you'll find an electric mower as powerful as a gas one.

If you're lawn's not all that big, why don't you just buy a weed whacker? ;)

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I've seen people use weed-wakers like that before, but anytime I tried to cut any significant amount of grass I always ended up with uneven cuts and grooves all over the place.

Is there a trick to holding it level and at the same height?

• Tim Horton
    Tim Horton

Have a friend who loves his battery powered lawnmower and it's also recommended by consumer reports...

Best choices for those with small, relatively flat properties:
    3 Yard-Man, $200, CR Best Buy
    4 MTD, $200, CR Best Buy
    13 Bolens, $190
    15 Black & Decker, $465

The gas-powered Yard-Man 11A-435D (3) and MTD Pro 11A588Q (4) perform equally well, though the MTD Pro 11A588Q (4) is sold only at Sam's Club and may be harder to find. Also consider the gas-powered Bolens 11A-584E765 (5) if you don't side-discharge clippings and the Honda Harmony II HRS216K2PDA (6) if side-discharging is the mode you use most. Among electric push mowers, the plug-in Bolens 18A-V17-765 (13) is a fine, low-priced choice if you don't have many entangling shrubs. The cordless Black & Decker CMM 1000 (15) cuts more evenly and mulches more thoroughly, though you pay for its convenience with a higher price and limited run time.

• Purza
    Purza

I know my boyfriend did not want an electric mower. Not exactly sure why, but I think it was because he didn't want to deal with the hassle of an extension cord. If I remember correctly (from when we were shopping last year) electric mowers are cheaper than gas mowers. We a small front lawn and a small back lawn to mow and the gas mower works just fine. I guess it what you prefer.

Probably not very helpful. . .

Purza

• Princess
    Princess

My dad bought an electric when we were kids. I seem to remember it sucked, but that was a couple years ago.

Steve bought a mower at Sears when we bought our house. Within a couple of years he gave it to my dad and bought a Toro. Now Steve loves his Toro, so much so that he won't let me mow the lawn. Actually he doesn't want the neighbors to see me mowing the lawn. True story.

Why don't you save on gas and electricity and just get one of those push mowers for manly men? Your lawn is small enough , you're a manly man, you can do it.

• Satanus
    Satanus

There is an electric wheeless mower that actually floats on air. It would be easy to navigate around those trees.

S

• Valis
    Valis

Dude...no geek would be worth his or her own remote control lawn mower..

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• Princess
    Princess
    There is an electric wheeless mower that actually floats on air. It would be easy to navigate around those trees.

That's it! That's what my dad bought. I believe it was called a...."Flymow"

• Simon
    Simon

C'mon ... you have to go for the hitech solution

(BTW: Hover mowers are pants. A cheap rotary push mower will give you a much nicer lawn)

http://www.robomower.com/robomo.htm

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit