They just announced the 2nd USA hostage has been executed

by Brummie 43 Replies latest social current

• Brummie
    Brummie
    (along with good old American ADVERTISING).

haha!

lil'toe, I thought you said how do you fill 30 pages with major repetition?

Must be your accent or something.

Brummie

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

WH:
    Thanks. SO is it 30 pages on Iraq, or a big chunk of a 30page main section?
    Sadly I'll have to wait until next week to find out, as I'm about to get offline for the Dansk thing, and then have to get some sleep before a road trip.
    Take care

DE:
    I guess that makes sense.
    If the two women were sent home in boxes, I suspect it'd make little impact. It'd just be the next excuse to keep on harming civilians.

• gypsywildone
    gypsywildone

Oh come on, this isn't about any 2 ladies in prison, & you know it. it's not even logical, it's just another excuse for barbarism.

• Double Edge
    Double Edge
    Oh come on, this isn't about any 2 ladies in prison, & you know it. it's not even logical, it's just another excuse for barbarism.

Gee, who would have thought.... a voice of REASON.

• Double Edge
    Double Edge
    SO is it 30 pages on Iraq, or a big chunk of a 30page main section?

Uh.... 30 pages on Iraq? I don't think so.... even BEFORE "Iraq", the L.A. Times main section was huge.

• Simon
    Simon

Well, it is being reported that one of the women is going to be released. Of course, they are still not charged with anything.

An Algerian man was released in the UK after being detained without charge for 3 years.

I thought we were supposed to be a civilised country under the rule of law with a sprinking of a justice system. This is all bollocks.

• avishai
    avishai
    Right now, Iraq is arguably one of the worst places on earth

Yep, it's pretty bad, I'll bite. Here's an argument for somewhere else. The Sudan. Where once again ARAB Muslim "insurgents" are strafing viliages of black muslims. They've killed tens of thousands and what's the UN doing? Jack shit. Just like with Rwanda. Just like with Bosnia. Just like Iraq when Saddam was massacring kurds. And yet everyone wants us to wait on the UN. Hell even FRANCE is massing troops, but won't do anything w/ out the UN's say so. At least the US still has it's balls. I'm not agreeing with the US in Iraq, but Jesus Christ, waiting on the UN is like waiting for the WTS to admit it's mistakes. Ain't gonna happen.

• City Fan
    City Fan

Reports say a second decapitated body has been found this morning. Terrible news.

Just thinking - is it not possible to electronically tag foreign workers in case of kidnapping. No amount of money would get me any where near Iraq.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/040922/140/f3345.html

• fleaman uk
    fleaman uk

BBC NEWS Iraq woman prisoner 'to be freed' Iraq's justice ministry says one of two female scientists held in US custody will be released on Thursday.

It denied any link with the demands of militants who have reportedly killed two Americans and who are threatening to kill Briton Kenneth Bigley.

Militants beheaded the second American, Jack Hensley, on Tuesday, according to a statement on an Islamist website.

The kidnappers have demanded the release of all Iraqi women held in US-run prisons, without naming names.

The US says that it is only holding two women prisoners, and that it has no knowledge of any plan to release them.

The UK government has told the BBC there was no request by anyone at any level in the government for the women to be freed.

"That would be tantamount to dealing with terrorists," a Downing Street spokesman said.

The first US hostage, American engineer Eugene Armstrong, 52, was killed on Monday and 24 hours later the group claimed to have killed a second American, Jack Hensley.

A decapitated body, thought to be that of Mr Hensley, has been found in Baghdad, but it has not been formally identified.

RIHAB RASHID TAHA Nicknamed Dr Germ Worked on Saddam Hussein's biological weapons programme Accused of producing anthrax Educated in UK's University of East Anglia Surrendered to US forces in May 2003 Considered important target, but not on US list of 55 most wanted Iraqis

The woman who is to be released is Rihab Rashid Taha, a biological weapons scientist nicknamed Dr Germ, the Iraqi justice ministry said.

Ms Taha is said to have carried out top-secret work during the 1980s on germs that cause botulism poisoning and anthrax infections.

The second woman, Huda Salih Mahdi Ammash, "may be released soon", the Iraqi justice ministry said.

Ms Ammash, a biotech researcher known as Mrs Anthrax and Chemical Sally, was on the US military's list of the 55 most-wanted members of Saddam Hussein's regime.

Adnan Ali, a spokesman for Iraqi Vice-President Ibrahim al-Jaafari, told the BBC the releases were still uncertain and would have to be approved by the prime minister and president.

An Iraqi spokesman said Ms Taha's planned release was part of a review of her detention, adding she was no longer considered a threat to national security.

"The Iraqi authorities have agreed with coalition forces to conditionally release Rihab Rashid Taha on bail," said spokesman Noori Abdul-Rahim Ibrahim.

British family's hope

The BBC's Caroline Hawley in Baghdad says that, although Ms Taha comes under the Iraqi judicial system, she is physically in the custody of the US which would have to have a role in her release.

The family of hostage Kenneth Bigley, 62, has welcomed news of the planned prisoner release.

Mr Bigley's brother Paul told BBC radio: "Hopefully they [the kidnappers] will pick this up on the media, and show that they have a gram of decency in them by releasing Ken."

The three hostages were kidnapped on Thursday by militants claiming to be from the Tawhid and Jihad group, headed by al-Qaeda suspect Abu Musab al-Zarqawi. The group claims to have killed at least six hostages in Iraq.

Gruesome video footage was released on Monday showing Mr Armstrong being killed by a masked man - said by the CIA to be Mr Zarqawi. Mr Armstrong's body was later recovered.

"The British prisoner will get the same fate if the British government doesn't do what it has to," said a statement on an Islamist website.

More than 100 foreigners have been abducted in Iraq over the past 17 months, as part of efforts to destabilise the US-backed interim government and to drive out foreign troops.

They include two French journalists who were abducted last month and two female Italian aid workers who were seized with two Iraqi colleagues on 7 September.

Tawhid and Jihad is considered to be the most ruthless of the hostage-takers.

Story from BBC NEWS:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/world/middle_east/3678794.stm

Published: 2004/09/22 11:21:21 GMT

© BBC MMIV I wonder if they had done this earlier whether the 2 Americans would be alive?Probably not,these People are at best unstable!I wonder if this terror group is waiting for the Labour Party conference to begin before killing the poor English Guy. The next Question is the giving in to terrorists debate. What if they kidnap many Foreign workers,maybe including Children...and demand Saddam Husseins release?? My God ,what a bloody awful foul up.This will run and run im afraid.

• Brummie
    Brummie

How can they say the release of that woman has nothing to do with submitting to the militants? Perhaps they do think we are all stupid after all.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit