An experiment in self-empowerment - Any Volunteers?

by Frannie Banannie 63 Replies latest jw friends

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie
    But then I'm thinking if I get the new job I'm after. I will need this experiment in about a month. well this will get me ready for it

LOL, bem! I can sure appreciate THAT! I'm hoping this will clear up some of my "graffiti mouth," yanno?

I always figured it's because the cats are outdoors more in the summer, and they're likely to eat the birds. I kicked another bird's head & a couple of feet off the porch yesterday morning, along with a few stray feathers. That's about all that was left of the little goomer.

wow, Dan-O. Thanks for sharing that with us

Frannie

• bem
    bem
    BTTT I like this thread so I'm helping keep it at the top!
  • Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41

I heard, years ago, from a former "sister" that her parakeet would imitate the opening and closing of a drawer near her cage..........

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41
    Kewl beans, Terri! (grabs Terri by the hand and bounces along side by side doin' the "Cotton-Eye Joe")

LMAO! Frannie, you crack me up!!! I love ya Gal!!!

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie
    BTTT I like this thread so I'm helping keep it at the top!

Thanks a bunch, bem!!

I hafta say that at least while practicin' up for the official kick-off on this experiment (on Monday, the 27th), I'm becoming more aware of all the little ways I express negativity in my daily life. How about you other volunteers?

Frannie

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie
    I heard, years ago, from a former "sister" that her parakeet would imitate the opening and closing of a drawer near her cage..........
    Kewl beans, Terri! (grabs Terri by the hand and bounces along side by side doin' the "Cotton-Eye Joe")
    LMAO! Frannie, you crack me up!!! I love ya Gal!!!

LOL, Terri! Birds that mimic sounds are amazin', aren't they! I lurv ya, too, cher!

Frannie

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

Frannie,

Within the last 30 years an instrument called an Eidophone was discovered.

Discovered? Surely you mean "invented"?

It consists of a tightly stretched drum surface, covered evenly with a very moldable, pastelike substance.

What is this substance? Or will any "moldable, pastelike substance" do?

It's been repeatedly observed and carefully recorded that plants will grow faster, healthier and taller when the "music of the masters" is played near them continually, symphonies and the like. When loud and discordant rock music is played near them continually, the plants are sickly, grow very slowly and their growth is stunted, the full height two to four inches shorter than the plants that were lullabyed by the harmonious cords of symphonic music.

Can you provide sources for this claim please?

There's a reason for this little known phenomenon of nature. The singing of the birds sets up a particular sound vibration that promotes the growth of young leaves of trees, plants and flowers, so the birdsong is fairly constant all day long in the spring while the new growth is occurring.

That seems unlikely, from what I know of biology. Can you provide sources for this claim as well please?

The times of the changeover are heralded by the birds; are actually stimulated by the birdsong, but the sterile rules of biology recognize only the synchronicity of it, typically ignoring the clear evidence of cause and effect, unable to explain any other reason for nature's precise timing of the seasonal and daily fluctuations of birdsong. In winter months, of course, birds fly south to where other greenery needs the growth signals of the sound of their singing.

This is patently absurd. These phenomena are all easily explained by real science. Please provide strong supporting evidence for your extraordinary claims.

Considering that the experiment with the Eidophone could be viably translated into our daily lives, why not begin on a certain day and time to eschew everything negative from our speech and tone of voice and written words and attempt to vocalize and write only positive thoughts and ideas.....and see if and how it affects our own personal environment, whether positively or perhaps, not at all?

What would count as a hit, and what as a miss? How could the effects be distinguished from those of simply being nice to people?

I've wanted to try this for myself, but was hesitant because I'd rather have input from others for comparison, so any results couldn't be considered just my imagination or my own thinking that affected the outcome.

Well, at least that's the beginning of the scientific method. You obviously need to define your terms and have clear rules about what would count as a positive or negative result.

If you're correct, Frannie, this discovery would have massive and lasting impacts in the areas of physics and biology. Almost everything we know about the universe would have to be rewritten. I'm wondering why, if this instrument has been around for thirty years, it hasn't already done so.

• Valis
    Valis
    Within the last 30 years an instrument called an Eidophone was discovered.

Discovered? Surely you mean "invented"?

actually neither.

According to the 19th-century singer and devout Congregationalist Margaret Watts Hughes, there was a way of permanently visualising vocal qualities. In 1885, she stretched an elastic membrane across the bell of a speaking-trumpet (a device she named the "eidophone"). Then, while someone sang or spoke into the trumpet, she drew the vibrating membrane away from a glass plate covered with watercolour paint.

from the article I posted earlier.

And this from Cornell University..

The rest is here..

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

Well... I have been thinking about this... and still feel that it is more a 'tonal' related phenomena, rather than a 'word' related one.

I even Googled the word Eidophone today, and one site seems to back up this theory - as one lady was trying to get the correct tones correct to re-display a 'daisy'. She finally did. (It had nothing to do with using a specific word - but rather - getting the tone of the words correct.)

Sooooo... interesting.

Goes back to my analogy of speaking sweetly to a cat. Same principle.

Or the gal at work who speaks in that 'sweet' voice. It's the tone of her voice - not the words she utters.

This would also make it language-independent - as one fella earlier in this thread voiced his concern about - since some words sound similar in different languages - and can mean radically different things.

Same with newborn infants. They don't understand words - it's the 'tone' of those words.

Even in one of your examples - you mention that the 'type' of music (I.E. classical) has a positive affect on plants. Yes... I have heard this before. There are no words though in that type of music. (Here again... tones.)

Good experiment though.

I still believe that just a good positive mental attitude would have similar results.

*wide grin*

Jim TX

P.S. Sometimes I think I think too much. Don't ya think?

• myauntfanny
    myauntfanny

I would really love to see one of those eidophone things. I'm with you Frannie, I NEED to start being more positive. I posted affirmations on yellow post-its all over my house a few years ago, and it does help loads. Although it's embarrassing when people come over and find a message stuck on your toilet lid saying things like "I'm okay just the way I am". Especially in England where they just DON'T do that kind of thing.

Gumby

Another reason I disregard Evolution

That's no reason to disregard evolution! It makes perfect sense in evolutionary terms. The birds need the trees to live in, don't they? The birds that help the trees grow by singing will have more trees to live in, and more bugs to eat, and so on, and they'll be the ones that have more resources to breed more birds. Doesn't explain how it all started, but then, nothing does.

Also, I'm not sure you should stop saying bastard, because from here in cyberland that looks like one of your positive words. Not that I know, but you always say it in such an affectionate way.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit