WHAT ARE YOUR VIEWS ON INTELLIGENCE?

by Terry 63 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Mecurious?
    Mecurious?

The first clue, for ME, is something as simple as the frequency of spelling errors and syntax errors. I know people will argue with this, but this is MY opinion. To me, if a person wants to come across clearly and intelligently, which I suspect most people want, they will take the time it takes to make sense to their audience. A person's whole argument can be lost amongst typos; and we all know how much the meaning of a sentence can be changed with a misplaced comma. Also, I think people will higher intelligence have a greater vocabulary and seem to be able to remember the proper spelling and usage of words most of the time.

Oh the irony!

Intelligence can be improved / enhanced / increased. I'm living proof.

Agreed.

But all the above matters not. Take Tom Cruise for instance. He can't even read but he's one of the greatest actors of all times, makes mad money and he seems to be very intelligent.

Case closed!

Merc'

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    Take Tom Cruise for instance. He can't even read but he's one of the greatest actors of all times, makes mad money and he seems to be very intelligent.

Case closed!

Not so fast. Tom's acting abilities,talents and especially his intelligence are debatable.

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

My error would only be "ironic" if I was claiming to have high intelligence, which I have not. I was expressing how I viewed others as intelligent, not myself . Just like if I said I think beautiful people are tall, would it be ironic if I were short?

• Joe Bloggs
    Joe Bloggs

Intelligence is relative. We, as homo sapiens, are just intelligent animals. We have the same instincts as other animals and we react accordingly.

What a pity.

Joe

• meggidon555
    meggidon555
    But all the above matters not. Take Tom Cruise for instance. He can't even read but he's one of the greatest actors of all times, makes mad money and he seems to be very intelligent.

now I know why his movies suck. he can't read the scripts

spelling and saying correctly does not a smart man or woman make

you sound stupid when you learn a new language but you aren't

• Mecurious?
    Mecurious?

Not so fast. Tom's acting abilities,talents and especially his intelligence are debatable.

I disagree. The fact that he has a severe disabilty and was able to overcome incredible obstacles should count for something. I think Tom Cruise is a genuine success story. Basicly tho' it proves that even if you have disabilities that with determination you can climb just about any hill.

Merc'

• onacruse
    onacruse

Very interesting thread!

Gumbers, my query to you was, as you well know, directed as much toward myself as anything. I do tend to do that

Insofar as the "intelligence" vs. "intuition" is concerned...

How about the aspect of developmental psychology? As we grow, at first we perceive the world simply as images: Mom's caressings (even though we don't know who "Mom" is, or even her name), and Dad's voice (again, we didn't have the slightest clue of who or what he is). Quickly, though, we are trained to imbue those images with "labels"--specifically: words. Thus, "Mom" and "Dad" become categorized, and we "see" them (mentally) that particular way; quite innocently we soon forget the 'images' and soon only remember the 'words.'

Which brings up the nature of language itself. For example, Egyptian and Mayan writings are permeated with "image" text, in contrast to the Greco-Romanic (and, to some degree, the Sanskrit and Semitic) semantic. Many aboriginal groups show the same simplicity: images matter more than words.

And which also cuts back to the question about intuition. Perhaps intuition is a totally natural process of tapping into the primordial "essence of being," which, like the seed of an onion, quickly gets overlaid and subverted by "intellectuality."

And, yes, this also cuts back to the Greek philosophers, insofar as "Form" and "Idea" are concerned.

For some reason(s) , I find myself more and more thinking that the Prime Cause is "sitting back up there" and chuckling at how complicated we make all of this...when it could, perhaps, be just so plain and simple as the nose on our face.

Again, great thread!

Craig

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing

Has anyone ever heard of the theory of multiple intelligences? Basically, it says that anyone can learn anything if taught the way that they learn best. You learn best based on your strongest type of intelligence. What type are you?

Linguistic intelligence ("word smart"):
    Logical-mathematical intelligence ("number/reasoning smart")
    Spatial intelligence ("picture smart")
    Bodily-Kinesthetic intelligence ("body smart")
    Musical intelligence ("music smart")
    Interpersonal intelligence ("people smart")
    Intrapersonal intelligence ("self smart")
    Naturalist intelligence ("nature smart")

You can take certain types of quizzes to find out where your strength lies. I always came out very strong in the logical area ... second was linguistic. It can also help people find out at what type they would be most successful.

In answer to the original question ... I agree with Gardner's theory ... there are all types of intelligences. By the way ... you read more about it here (for you nerdy types like me!) ... http://www.multi-intell.com/MI_chart.html

• Terry
    Terry

I have a personal view of intelligence.

Intelligence is, among other things, the __ability__to deal with a broad range of abstractions. It is an acquired skill which enhances whatever natural endowment you are born having.

The child must put forth effort to acquire knowledge which might be hindered by adults, circumstances or physical impairment.

Importantly, intelligence is the __ability__to grasp the facts of reality and to deal with them long-range (i.e.conceptually).

To my way of thinking, the person who deals with reality skillfully enhances life and creates future opportunity. The person who dwells in unreality cheats himself of actual referents of real world occurances.

To give up one's mind for any reason to an outside group or authority is to destroy one's personal identity and capacity to exercise their own humanity.

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

I think in intelligent man should be able to figure things out.

Whether it's electrical, plumbing, higher math, finding the right Cliff's Notes, making the boogie man go away, putting suave on a loved ones insecurities, finding the humor in a tense moment, not finding humor in a tense moment.

This is a guy who will get by, smartly

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit