WHAT ARE YOUR VIEWS ON INTELLIGENCE?

by Terry 63 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Terry
    Terry

Preston,

Wow, you are my kind of guy!

• Terry
    Terry

Meggidon, I was complimenting your post.

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

Stinky... indeed I respect your opinion, and I don't mean to make a big deal of semantics.

I am actually wondering, however, if we are even on the same page. You described the term as a "pop phrase"; but it actually originated in academia. I googled for a citation, and I found this article, which describes how the scientific term "emotional intelligence" became popularized and twisted out of recognition.

So just to clarify... when I use the term, I am actually referring to cognitive abilities--whether explicit or intuitive--related to emotion. That is why I feel that the term intelligence is appropriate, since intelligence essentially refers to cognitive ability.

If you still disagree with me, that's fine; but I hope we're at least on the same page now.

• onacruse
    onacruse

Terry, the first thing that came to my mind when I thought about your question:

Quote from Clint Eastwood:

A man has to know his own limitations.

<---as he walks away from an unsolvable situation.

"Intelligence" is highly over-rated; socially enshrined as an icon of life, as if the "measure" of such is an end in itself (I scored 1580 on the SAT, therefore I must be smart!! )

This reminds me of a grandmaster-rated player in the Manhattan Chess Club. He had a demonstrably photographic memory, and had incorporated every page from the classic Modern Chess Openings. Ostensibly, by virtue of his inordinate 'intellectual' ability, he should have been able to beat anybody within the first 15 moves of a chess game. And yet, what happened was that his opponents learned that all they had to do was make a "move" that was unorthodox...take him 'out of the book,' and he was immediately lost...he never even made it to an international championship.

otoh, "intuition" holds much mystery, and has, in its own right, been the fundamental source of what is typically called "genius."

In that respect, "intuition" is at one and the same time both a source of fascination to me, and a source of frustration, especially because intuition doesn't conform to the supposed "provability" of life.

And thus we continue to become entwined by the hobbles of our own preconceptions.

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

Well let me subvert your remarks just a little, Craig... isn't intuition actually a form of intelligence?

• Preston
    Preston

Thanx Terry, would love to hear your choices!

• onacruse
    onacruse

Euph:

Well let me subvert your remarks just a little, Craig... isn't intuition actually a form of intelligence?

Odd that you say that. Just today Kate and I had an extended lunch-time conversation with a friend that I've known for over 35 years (a fellow Bethelite), and we talked at some length about reincarnation, continuity of existence, and how that "intuition" may just be a subliminal manifestation of prior existences. Of course, this also brought up issues about 'immortality of the soul' and 'channeling.' Mind you, this conversation was in full hearing of everybody at an Elmer's restaurant...not a few of which I noticed looked over at us with a quandried look on their faces..."What in the world are these guys talking about???" LOL So, in response, let me ask you: Is it possible that intuition is more important than intelligence? Craigster

• gumby
    gumby
    and we talked at some length about reincarnation, continuity of existence, and how that "intuition" may just be a subliminal manifestation of prior existences. .................also brought up issues about 'immortality of the soul' and 'channeling.'

Jeez Louise! Did you have time to eat your food?!!!! I'll bet you talked with your mouth full of food ....didn't ya? Un-mannerly bastard! Comparing intuition to intelligence as to which is most useful is like asking which is more imporant between having good eyesight or being a good communicator. They are both useful attributes yet are different from each other. A dumb person can have "intuition". Gumuplatetonight

• onacruse
    onacruse

gumby:

A dumb person can have "intuition".

And an "intellectual" person may very well (and likely does, imo) suffer from an inate inability to relate to that 'dimension' of their existence.

So, let me ask you, my friend: When was the last time you felt moved purely by intuition? Did you trust your own feelings at that time? And how would you present the evidence of that experience to others (as if, in the context of "intelligence"), that you could thereby incontrovertibly demonstrate the validity of your intuition, as compared to intelligence?

Craigster

• Mac
    Mac

"He had a mind so fine that no idea could violate it" T.S. Elliot

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit