Kneel before me, for I am a god !

by Simon 34 Replies latest jw friends

• Simon
    Simon

LOL

Ok, this probably won't sound like a big deal to some people but I'm pretty chuffed with it ...

Our washing machine broke earlier in the week, refusing to drain, and we were facing the typical £100+ for someone to come out and fix it. It's already broken a couple of times (I'm sure they reset some 'breakdown timer' hidden inside ).

"Damn it", I thought, "how hard can it be? I'm a computer programmer for god's sake ... Angharad - go get the tool box !"

So, I pulled it out and put it on it's side (the wrong side I now know, more on that later) and had a peek underneath.

"ooh, erm ... time to do a bit of research", I thought, so onto the internet ... (I ama strong believer that you can do *anything* as long as you can find the right book)

I couldn't find any (free) service manual for it but got a good enough description of how washers worked generally that I was able to take a few things apart and extract a small sock and a two pence piece (must've been Angharad doing some "Money Laundering" ).

In the process of doing this lots of water came out. I thought the few towels that I mopped it up with would be a good test for washing later but it was not to be that simple.

Anyway, everything seemed to fit back together again so I stood it up and switched it on.

It started draining, wohoo! ... and then stopped 2 seconds later (doh!).

"Hmmnn", I pondered, "maybe all that water that came out wasn't good for the electronic bits that it sloshed all over" (that was why you are supposed to put them on the opposite side to the buttons and stuff!)

It was kind of fixed - it would wash, dry, drain etc... but only for 2 seconds at a time and the dial just wizzed roound - I didn't even bother asking Angharad if it was meant to do that.

I took the top off to get to the electronics and mopped up a bit with paper towels, took some connectors off and blew on various bits - it was just like a PC inside really. After leaving it to dry out for a while it had improved and would wash, drain and dry the clothes. A slight drawback was that as soon as they were dry it would start washing them again and Angharad seemed to think this was inconvenient and wouldn't let me declare it "fixed" (something about "if I thought she would sit in the kitchen waiting for it to finish I could forget it").

Anyway, it works fine this morning (yay!) now that it's dried out properly.

The one downside to this story is that now I've been asked to fix the dishwasher that has been broke for several months. That'll teach me!

• Panda
    Panda

Dear Simon, Do you realize that you have now become the MOST admired male on the planet? I am much more than impressed. My washing machine has lost some bearing or something, do you make house calls? Wow, you have become the hero to many women... There are not enough words of praise and encouragement in the Oxford dictionary to describe your prowess.

• ballistic
    ballistic
    it was just like a PC inside really.

errr, I thought it was just me who finds old socks in my computer!

• Simon
    Simon
    Dear Simon, Do you realize that you have now become the MOST admired male on the planet? I am much more than impressed. My washing machine has lost some bearing or something, do you make house calls? Wow, you have become the hero to many women... There are not enough words of praise and encouragement in the Oxford dictionary to describe your prowess.

LOL

Yes, people will say "a legend in his own lunchtime" and "is there no beginning to his tallents?"

I quite like doing jobs like this (unless you have to buy some damn 'special tool'). I've been known to do some plumbing, fix the odd gas oven and rewire a whole house

• Panda
    Panda

Simon STOP STOP your tool talk is too much for me . You wired a whole house. You dabble in plumbing ... your gospel is now my gospel. I will teach Nick your words and he will become one such as you are... gear-ate

• searcher
    searcher

Ahhhhhhh !

Simon the resident site maniac............erm...........thats mechanic, MECHANIC!

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

(Makes the Tim Allen Home Improvement grunting sound) woof wooofwoof...

good onya mate

CZAR

• Nickey
    Nickey

searcher,

who's cute little pup is that? Do you have a bigger pic so I can see?

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

Dear Simon,

Now that you have become god and using this advantage as a handy man . . . .

Ever since the hurricane the lift pump has not been working and all the toilets are filled with a blackish/brown boiling froth. I'm sure it is as simple as a sock in the intake which you have proven you can handle.

Don't worry about bringing tools, I have the siphon hose and a towel for you face.

Jst2laws

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

now simon a god would take 3000 bux and go buy a NEW fancy front end loading washer and dryer set.

men may be impressed with handyman braggin but gals like SHOPPING ! lol

congrats.. i fixed a dryer before.. ex slammed the door , broke it.. told me it'd be a cold day in hell before he bought another appliance so i fixed it.. with duct tape lmao

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit