Rutherford Exposed: The Story of Berta and Bonnie

by Farkel 747 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• minimus
    minimus

I don't think WT headquarters really cares.

• Haereticus
    Haereticus

VM44

I cannot find the reference, but the quote was published. Does anyone here recall that Covington quote? and where was it published?

My best bet is that at least it is mentioned in Penton's AD.

Mark

• Netty
    Netty

Maybe it could still be connected to Berta. Perhaps they "had involvement" with each other prior to him moving her over to Bethel. If she was born in1901, then she would have been 27, thats old enough.

• Farkel
    Farkel

Netty,

: Maybe it could still be connected to Berta. Perhaps they "had involvement" with each other prior to him moving her over to Bethel. If she was born in1901, then she would have been 27, thats old enough.

That doesn't tie with what Berta told her niece, "larc's" mother. It wasn't until after 1930 (maybe around 1935) that Berta and Bonnie went to Europe and Berta first met Rutherford. She could not have been his personal assistant and cook before she "met" Rutherford and before she went to Bethel in 1938.

Farkel

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

So far just dead leads in the 1920 census.

• Farkel
    Farkel

Leolaia,

I called "larc" about this, but he was out. I made doubly sure the spelling was "Teel," though and he confirmed it several times. I've asked him to provide the information you requested, and I know that to the extent he can, he will comply. I'm not so sure why you feel that information on Berta before she became married is relevant, though.

Farkel

• larc
    larc

Loolaia, Berta was born in Pitt County, North Carolina, outside of Greenville. Her brother Frank was married in Edgecombe County in 1915. Berta probably lived with him and his wife. Frank's first son was born in Pitt County, so the family may have moved back there before 1920 ......................................................................................... I have a copy of the paperwork for Alfred's filing for divorce and the granting of the divorce. In in the filing paper it states that Berta left home to go to Bethel in June of 1938. Alfred did not file for nearly a year and a half after that, in November of 1939. In this docuement it states that he "made numerous efforts for a reconciliation. The divorce was granted in March of 1940. The legal reason was "guilty of gross neglect of duty."

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I think it is relevant because if I could locate her in North Carolina, it would give me the town where she came from, which could then be matched with the town Rutherford was in during the "hairpin incident" if, as you say, Penton knows what town that was. It is also relevant because the 1920 census is more informative and gives more info on, for instance, her occupation and education. However, I think this is a dead lead because she was already living in Ohio and, as Farkel points out, it doesn't seem likely that she had already met Rutherford earlier in the 1920s in North Carolina. But stranger things have happened. If it turns out to be the same town that Rutherford was in, I would wonder if perhaps they met once, parted, and then -- by weird coincidence -- met again. However, I think the hairpin story probably is unrelated to Berta.

On edit: Thanks larc, I'll try to follow this up!

• VM44
    VM44

Think James Penton will read this thread?

It would be interesting to get his comments.

--VM44

• larc
    larc

Someone mentioned further research. I know of only two other avenues. Some day I want to get to my home town and find out if there are any court transcripts related to the divorce. I did not think of that when I got the divorce papers. Another place to look is in news paper records. My mother told me that there was an article in the local paper about Alfred, and Rutherford is mentioned in it. I looked through index records in the local library, but could not find it. It may have been a small enough article that it did not get put in the index. I plan to call the paper to see if they have computerized records with a data base that goes back that far.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit