More info that may not matter but I found interesting:
ALVARADO ESTATES COMMUNITY ASSOCIATION NEWSLETTER
In the 1930's, William Heath, an heir to the Coca-Cola fortune, owned the land that would be Alvarado Estates. Heath and his wife Bonnie were strict Jehovah's Witnesses (JW) They believed their leader's teachings that Armageddon was imminent. Along with other adherents, they did not salute the American flag nor serve in the military, because their allegiance only was to God,.
Heath allowed his fellow JW members clandestine use of his land. It was patrolled by men on horseback and children of the area were kept away. A productive farm flourished there with fruit trees and other crops fed by their own water well. Their main house, Beth Sham, was constructed with thirteen-inch-thick walls and a concrete basement shelter. It has since been remodeled, but the house still exists at 4825 Avion Way. The original road leading to the house can still be seen running up the canyon as one drives along Montezuma Road.
Near the house, stood a barn and corral. Years later, when some of the property was being sold, a strange thing was found. Inside a cupboard in the barn was a rope. When the rope was pulled, the entire wall moved aside revealing a stairway. Beneath the ground was a concrete shelter about 10‘ x 40' with a vaulted ceiling and barred transom-like window. It had a generator, diesel fuel tanks, cupboards for food, and a well. The shelter was prepared for the Great Armageddon that didn‘t come. When the original buildings were torn down, the concrete shelter could not be destroyed and is still located beside the home at 5330 Le Barron Road where it became a wine cellar and studio.
In 1942, when Judge Rutherford, JW leader and Bonnie Heath's childhood guardian, died, William Heath applied for a permit to bury him in our area. The request was denied by the San Diego County Planning Commission and the body was presumed sent to its alternate burial site on Staten Island, New York. Rumor has it that Judge Rutherford's body never did leave our area.... Look for The History of Alvarado Estates, Chapter III: Gillies Field, in your next newsletter.