Rutherford Exposed: The Story of Berta and Bonnie

by Farkel 747 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• VM44
    VM44

Hi Athanasius,

I am not Earnest, but I do have access to the 2003 WT CD.

"Pursuing My Purpose in Life" As told by Hazel O. Burford appeared in the November 1st, 1955 Watchtower.

Hazel was active in the Panama region, the Social Security Death Index provides the following info:

HAZEL BURFORD
    Born: 18 Jan 1907
    Died: Jul 1983
    Last Residence: XX806 (U.S. Consulate: PANAMA (PANAMA CITY))
    Social Security Number: 110-60-9972
    Issued: New York

So she was 48 years old when her story was published by the WT.

--VM44

• Earnest
    Earnest
    *** w55 11/1 p.655 Pursuing My Purpose in Life ***
    In 1941, when working isolated territory in western Kentucky, we attended the zone (now circuit) assembly at Cape Girardeau, Missouri. While preparing the evening meal in the cafeteria I was called to answer a long-distance telephone call offering me the privilege of helping to nurse Brother Rutherford, then very ill in a hospital in Elkhart, Indiana. Shocked by news of his illness, overwhelmed by tremendous responsibility I would be expected to shoulder, my first reaction was to refuse; but, ever fearful of refusing an assignment for fear another would not be given, I prayerfully accepted. At once I left the assembly headquarters and made the necessary preparations for my new duties, upon which I entered thirty-six hours later when I entered the sick room of our stricken brother. A week later I was privileged to accompany Brother Rutherford and his party to California, where we lived in Beth-Sarim, the "House of the Princes," for the next eight weeks until his death January 8, 1942. Had I not been a pioneer that unusual and precious service would not have been mine, as all his associates and helpers were from ranks of full-time workers.

• blondie
    blondie
    Sister" William P. Heath? I could understand "Mrs." William P. Heath, but "Sister" William P. Heath? They must REALLY be anal in the WTS Headquarters!

As along as I have known it and my family, women were always referred to as Sister then the husband's name. Even now married regular pioneer sisters are addressed this way in correspondence from and to the WTS.

It is there way of connection husbands and wives activities in the organization.

Interestingly, if a woman does not take her husband's last name legally, they still call her by her husband's last name.

Blondie

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

True Blondie

In Quebec where legally women are forced to keep their maiden names (not a choice), the organization still insists of the use of the husband's name to address married women.

The organization as patriarchal as it is would insist on the female submissive role to the husband - hmmm wonder where they got that from? and they sure want the women to know it too

• Farkel
    Farkel

: In Quebec where legally women are forced to keep their maiden names (not a choice), the organization still insists of the use of the husband's name to address married women.

Goodness gracious! They are still in the dark ages.

Farkel

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

Jst2laws

• Quotes
    Quotes

=================
    Had I not been a pioneer that unusual and precious service would not have been mine, as all his associates and helpers were from ranks of full-time workers.
    ================

That's right, Pioneer Bro's and Sis's!

Being a Pioneer automatically enters you into our Bonus Draw, where you could win Eight (8) exciting weeks tending to the final needs of an internationally recognized cult (mis-) leader!

Imagine yourself surrounded by the incredible splendour of Southern California!

Every Pioneer has a one-in-a-gazillion chance of winning!

No purchase necessary!

Void in Quebec and where prohibited by law.

~Quotes, of the "using my big-boy radio voice" class

• Athanasius
    Athanasius

Thanks VM44 and Earnest for the information on Hazel Burford. I see that in my post I wasn't specific as to the information I wanted. Actually I already have the Hazel Burford story. It was the Bonnie Boyd and William Heath story that I wanted. I believe it appeared in the mid 1950s in the Watch Tower. If you could locate it for us it would be very helpful.

Again thanks for the posting the Hazel Burford story as it will be interesting reading for those who aren't familiar with JFR's last days.

• blondie
    blondie

These are the only 2 references to William P. Heath and his wife (Bonnie Boyd) on the 2003 WT-CD.

yb75 p. 84 United States of America (Part One) ***

Further insight into Rutherford?s personality is gained from what took place in the Bible Students? old London Tabernacle when he gave the Memorial talk there on April 18, 1924. Concerning this, Sister William P. Heath writes: "The Tabernacle was an old Episcopalian church that the Society had bought cheap, and they used it for Sunday meetings as we use a Kingdom Hall today. . . . The place for the speaker was way up at the ceiling, about twenty feet off the floor. Only his head would be visible when addressing the audience. Maybe this is why Brother Rutherford called it the ?horse trough.? He refused to speak from it; in fact, he shocked the brothers by coming down and standing on a level with them."

yb71 p. 322 Annual Meeting ***

On Saturday morning, January 3, 1970, in accordance with notice to the membership the annual meeting of the members of the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of New York, Inc., was held at the offices of the Society, located at 124 Columbia Heights, Brooklyn, New York 11201. The vice-president, F. W. Franz, presided in the absence of N. H. Knorr, who, while present by proxy, was personally in Mexico at the time of the meeting. All fifty-four members were present in person or by proxy. The terms of L. K. Greenlees, N. H. Knorr and M. H. Larson expired. All three were renominated and unanimously elected as directors for an ensuing term of two years. A very interesting report was made by H. E. Miller on the field service activity in the United States. M. H. Larson spoke relative to the publishing work of the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of New York. G. M. Couch noted that there were 1,325 persons then at Bethel, with 71 more members situated at Watchtower farms. The meeting had been opened with prayer by W. P. Heath, and it was closed with prayer by A. B. Tedesco.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Athan I just did a search on my 2003 WT CD and did not find their story

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit