favourite games to play as a child during boring meetings

by Surfacing 61 Replies latest jw experiences

• need for speed
    need for speed

Wow i never new that all of you played the same things as me i mostly counted the roof tiles i still remember the odd number it was 25 big tiles 1000 smaller. What i also did was make poetry and stores making it look like i was taking notes. How i got away with not having any notes was i went to my friends and quickly copied there notes at the end of the meeting. I envyd my older brothers that always asked to go to the washroom and stay there for a long time and i was only aloud 1 minute or i regret it if you now what i mean.

need for speed

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene

A couple friends of mine did used their KH time wisely, making up ongoing episodes of a Star Trek inspired serial starring the more prominent or otherwise noticeable members of the congregation. They would tell me their stories afterward while socializing and I couldn't wait for the next installment. I thought it was absolutely hilarious yet was a little anxious beneath my laughter because it felt so blasphemous (sort of the way I felt the first time I saw Monty Python's Life of Brian)

• Ratboy
    Ratboy

I was doodling a LOT.

• glitter
    glitter

I counted tiles, bit my nails, slept, looked at other pages of the book/magazine, tightened my watch strap to make my hand go to sleep, took my shoes and/or socks off, tried to guess when a minute (or any length of time) had passed, watched people, doodled, "played" films/TV and imaginary storylines in my head, wrote notes and went to the loo/kitchen as frequently as my mum would let me.

But most of the time I concentrated and answered up. :(

• carefully faded
    carefully faded

I did alot of the distractions mentioned above (biting my nails, drawing, word searches in the magazines, zone out and daydream, etc.). But my favorite was seeing how long I could hold my breath. I would use my watch to time myself - I actually became pretty good. I could go for a little over 2 minutes - but had to be super careful on the exhale, because if it came out too loud, I would get the "look" from my Mom.

- CF

• josephus
    josephus

i was very good at chess, and can still play ok now. despite it being a terrible war game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

so i used the acustic ceiling tiles as a board imagined them white and black then played in my head.

i looked really keen but i was just trying to visualise 32 chess men on the roof.

josephus

• jb
    jb

My Dad was the Watchtower conductor and a book study conductor. He would ask me what paragraph I would like to comment on so he could call on me.(No less than 3!)

Plus if someone didn't raise their hand with an answer he would just call on ME! So I had no time for games.

I had to stay sharp!

• glitter
    glitter

But my favorite was seeing how long I could hold my breath. I would use my watch to time myself - I actually became pretty good.

I forgot about that one! I used to do that too.

• uriah
    uriah

The main problem with the holding your breath game was trying not to go red in the face or wheezing as you tried to gasp in lungfuls of air quietly after you pasted 2 minutes. I liked to play the following. Look at the speaker (or anywhere) and place your pen tip on the wt page - anywhere. Whatever letter it landed on was the key letter. Then, starting at the bottom (include the questions if you like) move up each line of text if it has that letter in it until you reach the top. Then try with a different letter. You can make up your own rules as to line length, if it is a citation etc, to suit your self. 'E' usually got you to the top. If you could see out of the window and see cars, try guessing the next car's colour.

• M-J
    M-J

Now and again I remember one of the magazines would have a biblical crossword puzzle, and filling it in would pass a little time, filling it in slowly however passed even more time...

I did get told off for this, the P.O. spotted me during the WT study, and made it clear I should be paying attention, not filling in a crossword. I would have been about 14/15 at the time.

Round the back of the hall, in the car park area, there was a wall, with a drop of about 10 feet. There was a skip almost strategically placed, full of coils and springs from a company behind the hall, I remember three of four us jumping from that wall and being bounced back into the air, we would then sprint back round and slip back un-noticed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit