IS IT TRUE & SHOULD WE OBEY IT?

by gdt 41 Replies latest jw friends

• SAHS
    SAHS
    True? A lot would need to change in our comments and attitudes, surely.

False? Let's keep up the rage.....

I think that both can be true, but only in their proper place. What I mean is:

In the context of talking directly to rank-and-file JWs, I think that, in all fairness, the golden rule would have to be applied because many of them don?t deliberately mean to be at fault?they have been misled. It would serve no real purpose to maliciously berate or antagonize the common JW because it would just be a negative experience for everyone.

However, that does not preclude the merits of being able to talk openly among ourselves about the JW religious/organizational system to foster support and solace. People can vent their rage about annoying TV commercials, corrupt political and religious practices, the weather, and so on. So, I think that people should also have the right to vent their frustration and rage about JWs among themselves?or even directly to JWs if done in a duly tactful manner. After all, ?What goes around comes around.?

Open discussion, and even rage, can be a good means of promoting understanding and healing. (As long as it doesn?t involve planning any physical revenge or terror, or anything like that.) There should surely be somewhere (like this forum) to express one?s observations as well as personal feelings without restraint or fear of reprisal. (Remember the saying in Ecclesiastes about ?a time and place for everything under the sun.?)

So, I guess the main thing is not so much whether or not to express negativity, but, rather, to whom, and in what setting. It all boils down to whatever is fair and appropriate.

That?s my $0.02 + whatever the CAD-USD exchange rate is for today.

?SAHS

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman
    My mother said 'if you can't say anything good about anyone (thing), don't say anything bad'!

It always amazes me how quick JW's are to say things like this when someone is criticizing their organization, but will readily hurl invective against other religions, governments, apostates, and pretty much everyone else.

Pot. Kettle. Black...

• Satanus
    Satanus

This rule obviously doesn't make any sense. But, it works good inside high control groups. It keeps the underlings from saying that the emperor has no clothes.

S

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

A better rule of thumb is to ask: Is it true, is it kind, is it necessary? If it's all of those things, then it doesn't matter how bad it sounds, you should say it.

• gdt
    gdt

Can only say most observations come over very sound, and true. the only perception could be that the 'vengeance is mine, I will repay' statement is from God, not any of us, so an element of care needs to be included in our reactions one would think. thanks you for sharing thoughts. personally I have always loudly objected to whomsoever is in authority if I feel injustice is done, and several of your posts highlighted for example the need to identify wrongdoers, to the correct authorities who can accept responsibility for action. Interesting life eh?
    Cheers, gdt.

• avengers
    avengers
    Avenger,why are the jws a good envirement for pscvhopaths?

Good question. There have been several threads started on this subject.
    I don't wanna hijack this thread, so I'll give you a link to a topic I started. http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/8/72216/1.ashx Andy

• dh
    dh

i was brought up with something similar... 'if you haven't got anything good to say, don't say anything at all'

as a rule i'm a pretty quiet guy (except when i go on a posting spree on jwd).

• jgnat
    jgnat

I appreciate your gumption, gdt, for expressing a less than popular opinion on this board.

My mother always said, "If you can't say anything good about him/her, don't say anything at all." In some circumstances this has worked very well, especially with co-workers. My silence speaks volumes.

I have thought long and hard about this issue, being a former battered wife. Christian women, especially, are vulnerable to remain in abusive relationships due to scriptures like turning the other cheek, forgiving seventy times seven, and being in subjection to those in leadership over them. I promise you, abusers know these scriptures backwards and forwards. So what is a Christian woman to do? Did God intend for her to remain in harm's way? Surely not! Scripture balances scripture, and if a sparrow and a donkey deserve to be protected and cared for, so do we! If a man is to care for his wife as his own body and he is pummelling his own "body", surely he deserves to get treatment or get locked up! Surely if a man harms his own "flesh", he has broken his end of the marriage covenant, and the woman is free to leave him.

I taught my children to argue constructively. They were never to say "You are hateful" or be personal in their judgements. Instead, they were to let their sibling know what they did that was hurtful. "I hate it when you do that". We can change our behavior. How do we change who we are?

So, where I would modify your mother's saying, gdt, is that the unjust actions and behaviors of others can be openly criticized, in order to bring necessary change. But don't make it personal.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

gdt,

I think balance is needed especially when we are being critical. But it is not always easy if we have been emotionally hurt, or we feel deep pain. Some days, when I'm being shunned by family members who were onetime very close to me, at those times I experience in many different feelings one of those maybe deep anger, yes and even hatred for the governing body. I know that sometimes, I can go overboard in my expressions while in the state. But:

Should I bottle these up? Should I suppress them? Should I acknowledge them? Should I vent them in a post?

The old sayings have much good in them, but should never be rules to rigidly guide your life, each situation is different there's no miraculous wise saying that covers every situation IMO.

I think it's a lot safer to vent some of your frustrations harmlessly, perhaps getting them out in the open, printing them on the electronic screen, reading them,,, than going through life, suppressing, and not acknowledging the hurt that you feel. JWD, offers I think a safe release of pent-up harmful emotions.

This forum is a place for us to share, our despair, our joys, without the constant restrictions we once faced as Jehovah's Witnesses. I feel there is great honesty expressed in many posts,, and this would not be possible if we followed the rule mention at the begining post:

My mother said 'if you can't say anything good about anyone (thing), don't say anything bad'!
  • myelaine
    myelaine

In all instances in the Bible God And Jesus let them have it with righteous anger and they called a spade a spade. As humans we have a tentancy to display self righteous anger which is what Jesus was speaking out against. Even when we speak out against WTS do we show how the Society hurt us or do we show how they are corrupting the Word of God? There is a difference. Jesus alway led the Jews back to the Scriptures, He didn't wallow in self-pity. He kept walking in to truth and drawing people to it.

A lesson we could all learn from.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit