Two Elders Stopped By

by rocketman 36 Replies latest jw experiences

• rocketman
    rocketman

Interesting take on things Karen....They might think (like I once did) that leaving off all the jw activities would create a huge void in their schedule. What they don't realize is that natural everyday things soon fill in for the time spent running to meetings, etc. Things like getting some work done on my home, reading for pleasure, exercise, more time for family, and just plain "down" time filled the void in my case. Life seems so much less hectic now (because it is) and I enjoy life much more because I have time to step back and appreciate it, instead of always trying to "do more".

• Preston
    Preston
    One of the two elders was particularly alienating. First, he asked me "what do you do in your spare time?" seeming to imply that, since I told him that JWs have too many meetings and must canvass the neighborhood on weekends, a load too heavy for me to carry, that somehow I had become some lazy-ass bum who sits around.

Ho Ho Ho, I love it when JWs play the time management issue, its not like you're doing anything important. They pressume that you've misused your time away from meetings, ahhhh...the meetings, the all wonderful use of one's time to devout oneself to "more important things", by being a slacker and a degenrate rocketman. If they pulled that s**t on me I would of informed him that I'm certainly not spending my time in a one size fits all setting where points are overstated, themes are presented with a slanted, one-sided viewpoint, and some of the worst speakers come together to do their darndest to make the listener fall asleep.

• Special K
    Special K

Hi rocketman.. I'm glad you posted about this visit you had.

you said in your summation:

Looking back on the conversation, it confimed my reason for avoiding contact with Jehovah's Witnesses elders.

Sounds like that their visit really did confirm your reason for leaving and avoiding them. I guess you have no doubts about leaving the J.W.'s after this visit.

And you are right, they talk with a cocksuredness that they are totally right. There is no open minded thinking in there to consider any other line of thought whatsoever. They are their to convert you, bring you back...or sometimes to cut you off.

They are a product of cult like teachings aren't they.

I thought you did an excellent job in conversing with them Rman. .. and you remembered a lot of the conversation...

Good post..

Special K

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

**OH! that's right, after being df'd they don't hassle you any more.. that's the ticket!

Hmmm, Carmel, I'm not so sure about that! My second son told me that the elders called on my (dfed) older son once a year or so......he was livid and slammed the door on them every time. I remember one elder told me they had stopped over there a few years ago, and he said that they were "quite surprised" at his hostile attitude because he had always been so mild-tempered and easy going.

Maybe my son was a bit upset when I stopped associating with him in 1981...ya think?

I guess in some places the elders don't make any attempt to call on DFed ones----and in others---they may have slow service days and run out of places to go and pester people.

Annie

• TallTexan
    TallTexan

Damn fine job of standing your ground and not letting them intimidate you. I agree. It is funny how quickly they become adversarial. People tend to do that when there is no rational justification for their behavior or belief structure. Notice too how they jumped around from topic to topic because they couldn't 'answer' you on certain things? That's a classic avoidance behavior when you are limited in your ability to disucss a topic. They are probably so used to people giving them the usual "Well, I've been busy but I'll try to make it back" then they say "O.k. Hope to see you soon", go back to the car, fill out their time slip, pat themselves on the back and go home.

I've talked over my (formerly held JW) beliefs with several 'worldly' ministers with whom I'm acquainted through my work and not ONE of them ever got upset or was ever anything but pleasant. They all told me sincerely that they hoped I would one day see the true meaning of the Bible, but were never dogmatic or ugly in any way. We could talk about all manner of things, which a JW would never do if some 'worldly' person wasn't interested in the message. Got to keep seperate from the world, now don't we?

Your experience typifies the 'love' that is in the congregation, which is why so many people are leaving or becoming 'weak'. Here's their version of love "If you don't play nice with us and agree that we are right, you are wrong and sinful scum, then we are going to attack you personally, your ideas, and never speak to you again. This is love, as we are trying to get you back to Jehovah"......what a crock!

• integ
    integ
    I am trying to think of a time when a Witness ever offered to help me haul trees. I can't think of an example.

The reason they don't help with that kind of stuff is they are told that the only way to REALLY help is to share their life saving message. What could be more helpful than to help save someones life from Jehovahs' fiery judgements? At least that's what I was told when I was discouraged from helping a householder move some furniture. I was laughed at. The elder thought I was just trying to get out of doing hard core door to door.

Integ.

• rocketman
    rocketman
    At least that's what I was told when I was discouraged from helping a householder move some furniture. I was laughed at. The elder thought I was just trying to get out of doing hard core door to door.

Yes, you were trying to be a real Christian, and they frowned upon it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit