Two Elders Stopped By

by rocketman 36 Replies latest jw experiences

• rocketman
    rocketman

Two elders approached me yesterday afternoon while I was doing a bit of work on my car. Unsuccessful at reaching me in my home (mostly because I don't answer the doorbell when they come) they saw me outside and decided to stop to talk.

The conversation did not go especially well. First, I told them that my reason for inactivity in the religion was because I felt no closeness to God, and that reading the Bible did not make me feel any closer to him (if anything, it tends to put more distance between me and the Big Guy). The response of one elder was typical for JWs - "well, you need to develop a relationship with Jehovah, to pray to Him". That, after I just finished saying that it was an effort I had made repeatedly to no avail. I guess their answer was to simply try again.

I wished the conversation had ended there, but after some continued discussion, I got a bit worked up and let loose on some real concerns - their perfomance based way of worship, where it's the outward show that only seems to matter. I mentioned their heavy load of 5 meetings per week plus other activities. One of them assured me that their congregation was different, and that if I wanted, I could attend just once per week. I knew such an assurance to be inaccurate, since the jws there would soon begin to question why one would attend only once per week. In my three decades as a JW, I had never known the religion to be tolerant of missing their meetings.

One of the two elders was particularly alienating. First, he asked me "what do you do in your spare time?" seeming to imply that, since I told him that JWs have too many meetings and must canvass the neighborhood on weekends, a load too heavy for me to carry, that somehow I had become some lazy-ass bum who sits around. The way he asked the question also gave me that impression. I assured him that I was quite busy.

This same elder later came out with an odd diatribe against Muslims, stating that they "kill those who leave their religion". I can't even recall what prompted that statement, but I expressed great dissatisfaction at it, especially since my sister-in-law is a practicing Muslim and, as I was quick and adamant in pointing out, as fine a person as I'd want to meet. I added that she is extremely helpful in caring for my aged mother. Also, I responded that JWs kill those who leave their faith to join another, in a spiritual way by their practice of disfellowshipping and shunning, and that, in a past issue of the Watchtower, they even spoke of "Caesar's Law" as preventing them from doing even more to such persons. I told him that just a small precentage of Islamic radicals are responsible for terrorism (they weaved that theme in) and I strongly implied that the JW practice of shunning was of a similar mindset.

Then, the other elder said, after I objected that God was planning the death of 6 billion people at Armageddon, that there are millions who have AIDS and are dying because of their own behavior. I found that comment to be extremely ignorant.

I also voiced my concern over many of the incorrect dates for Armageddon that the religion has put forth over the years. Their counter was the usual one jws are taught to use - that the disciples of Jesus also were speculating as to when the end would come. I mentioned that Jesus quickly resolved that issue (Acts 1:6-8) and that the disciples did not make public announcement of their speculations.

Looking back on the conversation, it confimed my reason for avoiding contact with Jehovah's Witnesses elders. They become quickly adversarial even though they are supposedly there "to help". Their thinking is that they are right and you are wrong, and nothing will change that until you see things their way. Their cocksureness in their belief that only they are approved by God is amazing. They remind me of the Pharisees, who were so sure that they were the few who were pleasing God.

• Holey_Cheeses*King_of_the juice.
    Holey_Cheeses*King_of_the juice.

rocketman,

You neglected to complete the title of your topic -

Two Elders Stopped By........Who Soon Wished They Hadn't.

So...... why did you hold back?

cheeses. imagining himself at the visit.

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

Great post!!

I think you did just fine---said what needed to be said and didn't back down! Good for YOU!

hugs

Annie

• lawrence
    lawrence

Just one question...during their lame lectures, did they offer to roll up their shirts and turn a wrench? Probably not, it's easier to condemn.

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

Wow... the effrontery of them suggesting that AIDS is "caused" by their behavior. No. People have been acting like they do for millennia. This virus just happens to have found a way to transmit itself through existing behaviors.

The implication is that God caused AIDS, which is ridiculous. If God was really offended by the behaviors that transmit AIDS, he'd have done something a couple of thousand years ago.

Ludicrous and presumptuous in the extreme.

CZAR

• blondie
    blondie

While it may have been pearls before swine, rocketman, thanks for sharing your pearls with us.

Blondie

• Double Edge
    Double Edge
    Also, I responded that JWs kill those who leave their faith to join another, in a spiritual way by their practice of disfellowshipping and shunning, and that, in a past issue of the Watchtower, they even spoke of "Caesar's Law" as preventing them from doing even more to such persons. I told him that just a small precentage of Islamic radicals are responsible for terrorism (they weaved that theme in) and I strongly implied that the JW practice of shunning was of a similar mindset.

Whoa.... Good one! Who knows, you probably got them to think (when they are by themselves and have the opportunity). Thanks for sharing.

• Sirona
    Sirona

Rocketman,

Let me see. In summary they

* said "you need to develop a relationship with Jehovah, to pray to Him". If praying hasn't worked, try again.

* told you you could attend just once per week (a lie)

* Asked you what you did do with your time as though you're doing nothing worthwhile now you are not JW (I got this and it is extremely annoying)

* Told you that muslims "kill those who leave their religion". (sweeping bigoted generalisation)

* Told you that it is OK for God to kill billions at Armageddon because there are millions who have AIDS and are dying because of their own behavior. (pathetic!!! Not everyone catches aids through sex either!)

* Avoided your questioning regarding dates being published for the big A.

Pharisees indeed.

Sirona

• JH
    JH

I try to avoid them for the same reasons as you Rocketman. I also don't open the door to them when they come over.

Now that they finally caught up with you, you might see them more often...

• JH
    JH

Oh yea, I tried to go to just one meeting a week, on Sundays, and it didn't take long to see their disapproval on their faces. Anyways I made the effort, but it wasn't good enough for them.

It's all or nothing. They lied to you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit