Is God able to help everybody all the time?

by Gopher 81 Replies latest watchtower bible

• new light
    new light

Well said, Gumby. I just ignored that post as it really pissed me off too. To what does this board owe the honor of having two of God's personal representatives? We are truly blessed to bask in the light reflected by these holy messengers.

I don't know about you, but I have some big changes to make. I didn't realize the almighty of the universe has been trying to bless me all this time and I've been turning it away. We've got to inform the suffering masses right away that their troubles are their own fault, not the fault of greedy governments or poor growing conditions (where's god's help on that one?). Quick!!! To the Christmobile!!!

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

At the end of the day, who really know's why "God" seems to answer some prayers and not others. We can pontificate about it forever, and still not know. The issue of "evil" will continue to haunt us, and make this particular subject an inflammatory one.

The truthful and candid answer (if anyone is truly being honest) is no-one knows!

Gumby:

You people will continue to make excuses for a god whos unwilling to lift a damn finger to stop suffering.

"God" may appear inconsistent (which seems a fair accusation) but your comment is taking an extreme position, which is only likely to stir up further emotion on the subject. Do you want to discuss it, or just vent about someone that you question the existence of?

Newlight:

To what does this board owe the honor of having two of God's personal representatives?

If you're including me in that comment, you can go take a running jump, young man...
    Regardless, you're well aware that there are a variety of opinions on the subject. Attack the ideas, not the people, huh?

• gumby
    gumby
    Do you want to discuss it, or just vent about someone that you question the existence of?

Both.

Anyone who has the audacity to claim that those who suffer.......WANT it that way, and are UNWILLING to change their evil ways..........is being the one who is trying to stir up trouble........not me. That's an insult to your fellowman and is not something Christ himself(supposedly) ever taught.

Gumby

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Gumby:
    I agree, and am kinda p*sed that I'm getting implicated in that opinion...

(I do question whether or not that was truly Kes152's intent, though - Like I said, it's a sensitive subject)

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

From what I've read, there's nothing in the Bible to support the notion that we should present our own wish list to God and expect that he'll grant our wishes. I understand there is a body of people, especially in the USA, who promote a prosperity theology but that's certainly not "mainstream' christianity.

Christians believe they are called to suffer and serve. In the meantime, what we do now, ourselves, to rectify the injustices and deprivations in the world? Mrs Ozzie and I keenly believe that we are to do that - and we do to some extent- and our prayers are that we may have the strength and the opportunities to do it.......but not a wish list.

Ozzie

(PS: many edits to this post - blame it on my war wounds!!)

• gumby
    gumby

LT,

Actually.....I shouldn't get any more pissed than at a dub trying to defend the Organisation because.......that's what they truely believe. I believed that way nearly my entire life!

Why I or others, continue to get mad at posts such as Kes's post, is still an inigma to me. I don't think it's the poster we are really mad at.......it's their "ideas and understanding of things" that we have a hard time tolerating......especially in the light she presented it in. It's like someone slapping you in the face.......then not getting pissed over it. It's tough!

As always......big sheeply hugs to ya my bro.

Gumtwisted

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Ozzie:
    I couldn't agree more.
    On Wednesday night I listened to someone give a ten minute "wishlist", and to be honest it turned my stomach. Hence my comments about whether or not it's God's prime purpose...

How's the hand?

Gumby:
    Kes is a guy called Aaron, not a lassie

The only thing that tends to p*ss me off is being misrepresented. Most other things I can deal with.

(((hugs back)))

• onacruse
    onacruse

Hmmmm, some interesting angles to these posts!

How about, instead of "people unwilling to change their evil ways" we say: "people unable to change their suffering ways"?

How many times have we seen or read about women (or, less often, but not unheard of, men) who finally escape an abusive environment, only to rush right back to that same environment? often with that same abuser???

How many times do we see people escape from one high-control cultic group, only to wildly and ecstatically rush right into the welcoming arms of another one (only the name has changed)?

And many, if not most, of those very same people have prayed to God and asked to be 'saved' from their situation.

So, what's a God to do? If God actually answered those prayers, he'd have to change the nature of our psyche...but that's a violation of free-will. If God doesn't answer those prayers, then God is cursed as being unresponsive and uncaring. God's in a no-win situation.

The issue isn't "What has God done for you today?" but "What have you done for yourself today?"

Sacreligious as it may sound: We answer our own prayers.

imho

Craig

• gumby
    gumby
    How many times do we see people escape from one high-control cultic group, only to wildly and ecstatically rush right into the welcoming arms of another one

Yeah......and become even MORE fanatical then when you were a loyal dub? I too, went to "another" group" for 7-8 years after exiting dubdom. As soon as I learned they were as judgmental as the dubs....only in different ways......I got the hell out to never return to religion again. If I fall for something such as this a third time.....I hope someone just walks up behind me and kicks me in the ass and calls me a dipshit.

Gumby

Craig.....check your PM

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

~kicks Gumby in the ass~
    "DIPSH*T!!"

That's exactly what you've done in your never-will-return-to-religion stance, which has become a "belief" in it's own right.

Think about it...

PS. If it's any consolation, which I hope it's not, there are many here in that same boat...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit