This explains alot

by SheilaM 88 Replies latest jw friends

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

Sheila that was a touching poem. I took it as one soilder saying what a large group of soilders are feeling,,,,,,,like you said past and present.

I agree with what Wednesday said,,,,,,, I can't go out and fight in a war, but I do support our troops because they are making our home a safer place for my children. That is the most important thing to me, the future of my children. My son is 17 1/2 and he doesnt want to be drafted , God knows I would probably fall apart if that happened. But, he told me he wouldnt run, he would go and serve the best that he possibly could. I don't know all about the ins and outs of this war going on,,,,,,enough to have an intellengent converstation , informed anyway about it. I am thankful for what ones like your son are doing, and it is VERY much appreciated by many. You just never know what the future holds , it could be one of our children going to war like your son, and I just think it is so important to be supportive , even if we don't totally , or even not at all, agree with this war.

((((((((Sheila and Family)))))))))

• Realist
    Realist

sheila,

do the soldiers who fight for the other side(s) deserve the same respect?

do people who acheive peaceful changes deserve the same respect?

do politicians who start wars for economical or personal reasons deserve respect?

and do the soldiers who blindly follow their orders (wrong or right) deserve more respect than someone who criticises the politician?

• Simon
    Simon

Were the national guardsmen who prevented black pupils attending school "fighting for their freedom"?

Claiming that all soldiers ever do is good is simplistic and naive. In this case, it was civilians who had to fight against the army to get their rights, the rights that we enjoy today. Don't tell me we owe everything to some marine who writes bad poetry !

• Xena
    Xena

You know there is a time and a place for everything....and yes everyone is entitled to opinions....but personally when a mother who has a son in the military during time of war...whether it's a war I support or not...when that person is someone I know and care for...and they want to post a poem that touches them because of where their son is and what he is doing...I would hold my tongue...silence my opinion just for that moment.

We have lots of opportunites to express our different and conflicting opinions....trust me we KNOW how most of you feel about this war and the people involved.....but how opportunites do we have to let a friend express themselves without having to piss on their parade?

She is a mom guys and she is proud of her son...why not let her have that for one moment?

• Simon
    Simon

Isn't that what the mothers forum for then?

Personally, I think saying that we should not express our opinion over this is moral-blackmail.

I'm sure Shiela didn't realise that the poem could be seen as insulting.

• Realist
    Realist

xena,

despite the fact that she did not make it clear that is meant as support for a family member there are better ways of expressing proudness in one's children than posting a controversial "poem".

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

Simon old chap-

the Guard is a state militia and follows orders of the states governor. the down side of military life is you follow orders,,,, and leave your agenda out of the picture. and to tell the truth most 'Bama or Arkansas guardsman (circa 1960 somthing) would have shot those black kids on there own if not for the officers present.

I think we all forget that mankind as group is a little off. So lets get our dainties out of a knot and live in the moment. Life is good! And we can't change a lot of things...only what we do ourselves's

Hill (southern by the Grace of God but not really proud of the track record class)

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa
    You know there is a time and a place for everything....and yes everyone is entitled to opinions....but personally when a mother who has a son in the military during time of war...whether it's a war I support or not...when that person is someone I know and care for...and they want to post a poem that touches them because of where their son is and what he is doing...I would hold my tongue...silence my opinion just for that moment.

Xena, you said perfectly what I was thinking and feeling about this thread. I think that some of these replies were rather thoughtless and unkind. I feel that just because we have the 'right' to say what we want, doesn't mean we should all the time.

-LisaBOBeesa

• Xena
    Xena

then move it to the mother's forum....and if asking people to manifest some kindness is what you call "moral blackmail" then I guess I'm guilty as charged.

I pretty much expected a response like that...but something in me always hopes for something better in people...eternal optimist I guess...both a blessing and a curse.

• little witch
    little witch

Another lovely poem Sheila, thanks so much.

We must understand that poems are written from the "heart" of the authors. Usually poems (at least the better ones) are strictly from a personal experience point of view. Poetry covers many topics and each must be viewed and evaluated by how well the author conveyed their feelings. Poetry is art, just like a painting is art. One doesnt necessarily have to find and agree with a precise point to be able to find something redeeming and beautiful about it.

Some have read this particular poem and jumped in to opine on their political stance. Personally, I think you have missed alot. And I am left to wonder why some jumped in so soon on this particular poem, but found SheilaM's other poems unworthy of comment (poems she penned herself and felt very vulnerable about posting).

There is much more to poetry than subject matter ya know. Word usage, flow, rythym, and simply conveying emotion should be pondered. Have you ever been to a museum of art, and observed people standing for many minutes gazing at a painting? It is a person searching for a deeper meaning, or to relate to the artists feelings....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit