This explains alot

by SheilaM 88 Replies latest jw friends

• Simon
    Simon

Shiela. I think we are entitled to have our own opinion of 'war' and how we interpret things and which service and sacrifice we recognise.

Out of interest, would someone be allowed to post anti-war sentiment on the board you describe? Would they face an repercussions for doing so?

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

Shelia---

I have the gold stars for a couple of my relatives put away...(when the family went JW the stars went on the junk and I saved em).

I hope you never have to get a Gold Star for your boy. Being a mother of a US Marine is honor enough, without his blood being spilled on distant ground for the ideals of greed and hate.

We loose all sorts of folks in all kinds of wars... some with just one combatant. Just about every one of those conflicts is against or about some form of injustice or intolerance.

Is America always right? Probably not. Do we ask our young and not so young to give their best often, yes, and far too often it seems. The world will always have its wars and police actions... and mothers will cry over their sons and kids will look at a stranger's picture known as 'dad'.

As broad as this all seems every generation that's waged conflict is judged by those who follow in time. Historians will find some wars "just" and others just some politcal expediency. It's will aways be a shame the entire world is willing to sacrifice its best and finest.

So god speed all the Anthonys in the world , no matter what uniform they wear.

God Bless us all,

---------Hill (Jeff)

• SheilaM
    SheilaM
    because the "poem" is simplistic and nationalistic propaganda.

Well no actually this poem speaks to many levels and is not simplistic. Propaganda .......well since the young man chose to serve and wrote this on his own .....I wouldn't call that propaganda. Funny, that you think your words have so much more depth and meaning then someone that is serving right now.......

Simon: Which service and sacrifice you recognize...ROFLMAO

PS French...Yes 5000 Moms that are PROUD of their sons and daughters and will stand by them....

• Simon
    Simon
    Simon: Which service and sacrifice you recognize...ROFLMAO

I'm sorry, but not all service men deserve respect and thanks just by virtue of wearing a uniform. I respect and thank those who fight to defend us and who fight for the oppresed or conduct peace-keeping duties. If we blindly supported everyone though then it would mean that I would be supporting actions that I simply disagree with and that I will not do. If I did not ask them to go do it ... what do I owe them?

• Realist
    Realist

the piece glorifies the US military and attacks the anti war crowd in a simplistic, superficial way. if there are deeper level hidden please elaborate.

• Simon
    Simon

I thought it was simplistic too. It was insulting to be honest. It just reads "you just thank me 'cause you owe everything you have to me". Thanks, but I don't.

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

Actually Simon he actually identifies himself as a US Marine he is speaking of men that have served since the 1700's that deserve respect. Maybe if you quit being such an ANGRY, RABID human being you could be more willing to try to understand. As I said and will say again...I posted the poem because I felt it was a good poem by a young man now serving and since my son is also a Marine I was quite touched. Too bad you can't separate the men and women serving from the issues that you hate. Also, there are more fine heroic young men and women then just the few that have been caught in wrong doing.

PS Insulting to you .........for the LOVE OF FRIGGIN GOD

Realist: Whatever

Hillbilly: Thank you for the wonderful words that you shared.

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

dont worry old salt,

When I win in 2008 I will be sure to give you a nice position at the Embassy of your choice.

---Hill (gees! thought most English folks like us a long as we spend money class)

• Simon
    Simon

Shiela. I do not believe I have been nasty to you and have not intended to be so apologies if you think I have.

Just as you are entitled to you opinion, so I am antitled to mine. My opinion may not tally with yours at all of course !

I didn't see anything in that poem that made it appear he was talking about anyone else but himself and his colleagues, not those who served before, certainly not those going back to the 1700's.

BTW: Were the soldiers who invaded British Canada fighting for freedom? How about the ones in the civil war (on both sides)?

• Simon
    Simon
    gees! thought most English folks like us a long as we spend money class

If you mean tourism ... sorry, we get twice as many Tourists visiting the UK from Europe as we do from the USA. So the "American Tourist" thing is a bit overhyped. Of course you are welcome though

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit