Spirituality

by StinkyPantz 116 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• El blanko
    El blanko
    there's a difference between discernment and judgement

Let me ask you a question.

A group of youths stand outside of your house, spitting on the ground. These youths are known in the area for vandalizing property, causing trouble at the local shops etc etc - they wear loose fitting tracksuit bottoms, baseball caps, hate authority and are perhaps 16-19 years old and are quite capable of being a physical threat to both you and your family.

How do you feel and what does your mind tell you about these youths?

• heathen
    heathen

Little toe --- my websters clearly says that discernment is the act of judging but with insight and not just on appearance .

El blanko--- That's a good point . You would clearly have to make a judgement call on whether to take action and remove the potential threat or simply hope for the best . Personally I would run them off . I don't think I would try to start a bible study with them first .

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

ElBlanko:
    I don't believe that's a fair example. It's not a spiritual one.
    Nor is it specific to Christianity.

Personally I'd want a gun in the house, in case they got in.
    Then I'd call the police, if they were terrorising the neighbourhood.

• Larry
    Larry

El Blanko - You are right about K. I read just about everything written about him or by him - pro and con. But the question is:

Is the message faulty b/c of the messenger or is the message true b/c of the messenger? I think, the messenger is irrelevant if the message is true. Like all other writers I take what I appreciate and throw away what I think is non-sense.

Peace - LL :)

• Markfromcali
    Markfromcali

Since different people have different ideas about spirituality, it would be more meaningful to discuss specifics rather than spirituality in general.

Of course, do you really just want the concept? Even if you relate a story about something that happend, sometimes it just doesn't translate - it's not like being there. But it is possible to relate with each other in a spiritual way without even talking about it. Just imagine for a second what that would be like, where it doesn't even necessitate any kind of beliefs. We sometimes mention the point about being human in discussing spirituality, but we don't really think about that when we are relating in such a way do we? So you might just find that on close examination it really isn't about the intellect, or even emotions. Just see for yourself, or look back to an experience of relating that you've had and look closely.

• heathen
    heathen
    But it is possible to relate with each other in a spiritual way without even talking about it.

Well now this is rich . The whole point of this thread was to talk about it . I know where stinky is coming from when she says she hears all these fantastic stories from people with all these experiences that defy logic . Speaking in toungues , prophesy , stigmata,demon possession . I just saw something on the 700 club on how you can send money and get help from God . Spirituality is definately exploited . People do want some evidence of the concept in order to reinforce their belief system .Personal experiences are often hard to talk about when someone has no motive of self interest , I know I have tried to discuss these type of things with people and often wind up being put down for all my efforts . A message board like this is especially hard on people because of rudeness and close mindedness .

• Markfromcali
    Markfromcali
    I have tried to discuss these type of things with people and often wind up being put down for all my efforts . A message board like this is especially hard on people because of rudeness and close mindedness .

That's kind of my point, although it isn't limited to online discussions. It's not just a matter of being cordial and such, but regardless of the subject of discussion, how we express ourselves in words is also a way we relate to each other. If we can do that in a spiritual way while discussing it all the better. Of course by this what I'm really getting at is love, as opposed to I believe XYZ and I have these experiences and so on. The first is manifested behaviorally, the latter can and often are limited to conceptualization, or limited by conceptualization in the case of extraordinary experiences. Frankly most would agree love is spiritual, and yet it can be there without you believing a certain way or following some organization or whatever.

• Markfromcali
    Markfromcali

Of course, that love could be considered a spiritual experience - but a very different kind and in a very different way.

• El blanko
    El blanko
    I don't believe that's a fair example. It's not a spiritual one.
    Nor is it specific to Christianity.

LT:

If Christianity is truly THE universal faith, then every scenario has relevance. I know I am possibly labouring a point here, but it is an important one. Christianity also recognizes no other faith as truth, so there is no other scenario than the scenario of Christ.

Also, 'spiritual' enters every scenario we face, whether we choose to believe so or not. If we are spiritual beings, then we continue to be so 24/7 and not at an alloted time that suits.

A book I skip read recently claimed that every man and woman on the planet has spirituality, yet some may have a deep seated drive to pursue purely material and selfish goals. Nevertheless, this adoration of all things material could be said to be their own form of spirituality, in that it embraces a system of beliefs that conjures forth a fire that drives their engine. So even the annoying twits messing around outside the house are spiritual beings.

It is human to judge and truly inescapable. Anybody who comes to me and tells me that they do not judge or do not believe in judging, I begin to eye with suspicion.

Pedant that I am.

(none of the above is written to offend btw & is purely my vision)

Larry:

I understand what you are saying and partially agree. The message of Krishnamurti & Leadbeater are to my mind only an echo of Eastern mysticism combined with spiritualism, yet Leadbeater wanted his own personality cult and guru status and used K to help gain that. I prefer my messages of truth to be untainted by the excrement of a bloated ego. Leadbeater I have little time for and K I feel sorry for.

• Xena
    Xena

You can judge a situation without judging the people.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit