Spirituality

by StinkyPantz 116 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• myauntfanny
    myauntfanny

I have a kid inside me that really just wants to find a magic coin or a tesseract or to meet Mrs. Piggly Wiggly, and I think that's probably where my sense of spirituality comes from. I need to feel that everything isn't just dominated by logic and rationality and statistical correlations, that the universe is unpredictable after all and something astonishing is around the next corner. I love it when meaningful coincidences happen, like I go to call my sister and the phone is busy cuz she's calling me (and we only call each other once a month or so, so it's not THAT statistically likely). One time I was driving with my husband and said "I really want to live someplace that has magic for me" (speaking metaphorically of course) and in that instant a car pulled in front of us with a licence plate that said "magic" on it. (I admit I tried to work out the chances, how many cars in that country, how many miles of road, how many seconds in the day. I got mindboggled by which factors to include, and gave up.) That's not exactly deep compared to some of the things people have written on this thread, but it keeps my life joyful.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

MAF:
    "Synchronicity" keeps me in a state of awe, too. Even though it's become almost common-place in my life.
    Thanks for sharing that.

We were perhaps getting a bit esoteric for most.
    The simplicity of it is possibly "I love and am Loved, with no division betwixt the twain".

• shera
    shera

In my opinion and they way I view it....*drum roll*

A person who is not religious but still believes in God and spiritual life.

I'm not religious but I am spirtual and have spirituality.

Sorry ,if someone already said that,just having a lazy moment and don't feel like catching up on 5 pages.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Shera:To save you the read (though you might enjoy it), your viewpoint appears to be a common theme, even amongst the religious who have responded.

• shera
    shera

Thanks LT

• Tashawaa
    Tashawaa
    I don't know how anybody can be at peace with the way things are . There is just too much evil in the world to sit back and be at peace with it .

Heathen... I am at peace with the world. That doesn't mean that I "accept" evil, but try to make things better. Volunteering, charity organizations, helping in little ways. When a tornato or disaster hits an area, I'm always amazed how people will come together to help one another.

There are definately troubled places on this earth. The problems are complex, however I do see organizations and people trying to help these ones also. Drawing attention to the problem.

I have not had a trouble-free life. I've had many struggles, and I've grown as a person because of them. With life comes both laughter and tears.

I don't believe there is "too much evil" in the world. This is the hand we've been dealt, and you either play your cards, or fold. I chose to play. This is where I have "peace of mind".

• heathen
    heathen

Tashawaa--- Interesting comment there . It is interesting how it takes disaster for some people to realize we are all in this together and that helping and caring are important so again the motivation was there .

All I can say is not even jesus was at peace with the world but instead harbored dislike for it because of the corruption and that is the kind of thing I can relate too .

• Tashawaa
    Tashawaa
    some people to realize we are all in this together and that helping and caring are important

I believe people feel this way the majority of the time. In times of crisis its brought to the fore.

Heathen, Christ may have not been at peace with the world, but his dislike of things sure hasn't motivated him to "fix things". Heck, even the 1400s weren't motivation enough. Neither was the genocide of the jews in the WWII.

If you're waiting for Christ, all the best to you in your faith (seriously). But don't be like the old JWs that "hate" society and don't lift a finger to do ANY good, 'cause whats the use? Seriously, there is LOTS of good, beauty, kindness, love in this world - much more than bad.

• Markfromcali
    Markfromcali

Hi Ross,

I was just reading an article in the Buddhist magazine Shambhala Sun where they featured a number of athletes including martial artist Jet Li. Perhaps surprisingly for some, he basically regards the flow state of high level of mind-body integration meaningless. According to the article, these days he is more interested in the dharma. (apparently he practices vajrayana) Like religion, sometimes martial arts can in time lead to enlightenment, but that doesn't necessarily mean we can attribute cause and effect, and Jet was hesitant to do so as well. Whether or not there is mastery in a particular discipline, if you have the idea of a separate someone that does the art, of you and me as opponent and self, then that isn't it. Interestingly, Jet said of all the MAs he has trained under none of them has got it, and you know he must have trained with some biggies. Relatively speaking some of them no doubt have a great deal of power and skill, perhaps to the extent of not even in the same ball park with those we might consider advanced, but when there's no difference between doer and doing, between doing and being, then none of that would apply. One expression of it might be a Tai Chi master, another one might be Bob sitting on a park bench. From their perspective it is the same.

BTW, I don't know if I've mentioned this before but if you are not already aware of it, there's a Jet Li movie "Hero" that is coming out in the states, if you get a chance to see it I think you'd enjoy it. It has martial arts, but is not a MA movie. It's more what we're talking about here.

• heathen
    heathen

Tashawaa--- I believe their is a purpose and plan behind things and cannot condemn jesus just because there is evil in the world , I would rather condemn the world and the people behind the evil because from what I read jesus is on the side of love, peace and justice and there is nothing that man can do that cannot be undone .

I can't speak for the j-dubs but I have heard they are eager to help in some situations like when it flooded in south texas there were people from the dfw area that went to help . The bible does say to perform fine works before all men . I do commend you for what you are doing and think you are a special person for it .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit