Are Circuit Overseers Stuck in Their Jobs?

by metatron 51 Replies latest jw friends

• metatron
    metatron

During a recent C.O. visit, the latest itinerant from the Society seemed a bit subdued as he talked about the difficulties

of his employment. Every three years or so, he has to change addresses, registrations, and so forth and move along.

It made me wonder if these guys are starting to feel stuck in their jobs.

Most C.O's I've known would make excellent field reps or PR guys or company salesmen. Unfortunately, many of these

positions require a college degree, even in small firms.

After a while, the power trip of commanding window washers, 'cheese- cracker men' and spirit appointed nepotists

must wear rather thin. Add to that the strain of being 'on stage' all the time and I can see that this is not a desirable

way of life at all. I once told one C.O. he would make a really good salesman, if wanted to leave.

He seemed a bit taken aback. I later heard he left circuit work and 'wasn't doing well'.

maybe they just need real jobs and all that talk against education and materialism is partly aimed

at keeping themselves convinced.

metatron

• gumby
    gumby

I think the CO's wives have a harder time coping with their lifestyle more than the CO. Being a CO would be like camping all the time and never getting to go home. Who cares if you get fed and get your expenses paid......it would get real old, real quick. I couldn't/ wouldn't do it even if I was a dub and neither would my wife......especially her! Imagine every time you walk into a hall you see all the brothers with new haircuts, getting nervous with any part they have while your there, people sucking up to impress you all the time. Bah!

Gumby

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

I suppose there are many that know it is not the truth and still make beleive it is because they are stuck and I'm sure the WT knows this and has certain little traps for them if they ever slip up. I feel great pity for such men as it must be totally uncomfortable and I'm sure there are a few seriously depressed CO's.

• undercover
    undercover

I knew a CO that gave up a lucrative career in some highly technological field. He was a smart cookie and extremely nice guy, but highly motivated. Before becoming a CO he had been pioneering when possible and serving where the need was great when he could. After his last kid was grown he decided to follow the WTS direction at giving full-time pioneering a try. His background lended itselt to the highly structured and organized lifestyle of the COs life and because he was used to speaking in front of large groups of people, it wasn't long before he was being groomed for COship. Eventually he sold his house and most possesions and made the jump to the traveling work.

I remember his visits because a lot of COs talked the talk but had never really walked the walk of giving up house and home and security to do the traveling work. Most of them grew up as JWs and went to Bethel or pioneered never really owning anything. Who were they to tell us how easy it was to give up everything to pioneer? But this guy was different. He actually gave up house, home and possesions. And he owned more than most of us ever figured we would own. So when he preached about giving up materialism he wasn't just preaching, he was talking from experience.

This guy could probably go back to the work force without much trouble, but I think most of the Bethel raised COs that would try to go into the workforce would have to rely on jobs that would be somewhat beneath someone who was used to organizing and leading hundreds of people in canvassing sales and construction work. I think that many would end up working for a JW owned business to make ends meet.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

I think a lot of these guys are sincere,,they were just more supceptable to mind control and that's why a lot have given up a more comfortable life to serve the WT. But after they have been in the work for a while and seeing how the WT handles apostates I'm sure they start to think about,, how the WT doesn't like to be questioned or examined it must start to put doubts in their heads.

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

I heard of a CO that was retired after a heart attack and he went into a major depression about it... hm...

What if we set up a fund to educate escaping dubs?

CZAR

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

I think many of the CO's are sincere, and I think some see it as a racket. It would be tough though, traveling almost all the time, staying at strangers houses. I HATE living and shaving out of a toliet kit. If you or your wife were loud when ya did the dew...well, you're at someone elses house...and that someone else is washing the sheets...so ya gotta be careful. Different style of food every week...and not everyone is a good cook.

Plus side, people sucking up...the envelope passed to ya at most congregations with some cash. It wouldn't be a bad life if you had an income from an investment or retirment check or something.

• tresbella
    tresbella

Being a co must suck definetly esp for the wives. They can't have kids am if I'm not mistaken. Or at least counseled against it. I know me personally I took a road trip 2 summers ago after I graduated from h.s thinking it was gonna be so cool to live out of a suticase for a coupke months, always being able to go somewhere new an dexciting. HECK NO! It was a nightmare. ALways having to pack and unpack wrinkly clothes, sleeping on someone else's bed, not having my own space to blow dry my hair or walk around naked in my lviing room. ALways worrying about being too loud or too quiet. I feel sorry for them. But there women and in this organization a women has no voice.

• Lostreality
    Lostreality

i hope they are.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

I don't think the WT has much of a retirement plan for them except maybe in Germany. For the most part they have to work way past retirement age and work until they drop or are not healthwise able too, I don't think they are allowed to retire with out some proof they really can't go on.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit