Those big bad Bible Students

by RR 139 Replies latest jw friends

• NWT@Cutlip.Org
    [email protected]

Leolaia

If I can find it I have a sheet of stamps -- like Easter Seals and Christmas Seals -- You were supposed to lick the back and put them on your letters (in a place they would not be mistaken for postage). They were published by the Bible Student 30 years ago.

And what was the caption on them you asked? It said:

Celebrating
    the First 100 Years
    of the Millenium: 1874-1974

If I locate them in the next few days, I'll scan them in -- RR probably has some he could scan in!

--

• gumby
    gumby
    It may obsess them, and affect their outlook on life, but probably no more than an obsessive chess grandmaster

Gee....is that all it does! You mean it only obsesses them and warpes their outlook on life and that's it? Why worry then?

Let's not forget the outlook it causes in them concerning their fellowman and how they believe towards him....that being, "god might kill them if they don't see things my way".

Do you think warped spiritual beliefs has no real effect on a person besides the things you mentioned? All I am saying is, people have THE RIGHT to see something if what they are seeing is believed to be in serious error. Letting people believe in false expectations is OK in some areas of life.......but not all areas. Here's an example of their beliefs,

Amidst this series' depiction of God's anger for the punishment of sin, the issue of His mercy is briefly addressed. The Left Behind scenario is that children under the "age of accountability" are spared because of ignorance. (Man's own compassion cannot abide the thought that innocent children will be sentenced to an eternity of torture for not having had the chance to knowledgeably accept Christ.) But there is nothing in Scripture which exempts children from the condemnation of Adamic sin?we are all born in sin and shapen in iniquity. (Psa. 51:5) If this type of salvation were possible, one should reasonably hope and pray that their children would die before reaching the "age of accountability," thereby being guaranteed life in Heaven. Under this very shortsighted interpretation, when children reach adulthood, they have a 60% chance of not accepting Christ and thus, will burn eternally. No, God has a more merciful plan for not only the little children, but also, for all of this "poor groaning creation" in due time. Rom. 8:19-23

Gumby

• minimus
    minimus

Ok, let's stay with chronology. (btw, I don't have the cd rom)......There have been a number of posts detailing quotes from the old WTs using dates such as 1799, 606, 1913, 1914, 1917, etc. When you see the quotes or you read the old books that CTR wrote, not one of these dates can be proven. Once I again I ask, "Do YOU believe that 1799 began the end? Was there worldwide anarchy in 1917 that ushered in the millenium?".....If anyone on board maintained that 1799 was the beginning of the "last days", you'd say, "You prove it!". The burden of proof rests on them.

• Tashawaa
    Tashawaa

... I have to agree with Min...

We've been living in the "Last Days" for 205 years now.

What about the "generation that would see all these things"... have the BS had the view that it is whatever generation is alive at the "end"? What about the great tribulation? Was the end in 1914 invisible (to match Christ's presence)?

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Gumblivious:

Do you think warped spiritual beliefs has no real effect on a person besides the things you mentioned?

You've posted that one to the wrong thread, dude. It should be on the one about leading and obvious questions (whatever it's called)

All I am saying is, people have THE RIGHT to see something if what they are seeing is believed to be in serious error.

But do we have the right to "straighten them out", just because we hold a differing view that we believe is right? I agree that they have the right to see it if they so wish , but to ram their "stupidity" (as we see it) down their throats is neither fair nor loving.

Why do you think people build up belief systems and frameworks? Isn't it to help them deal with life?How many people can take the glaring, raw, truth of life, with all the illusion stripped away?
    Do we have a right to strip it away for them, just because we think it'll "do 'em good"?
    Who put us in charge of the thought-police??

If I've misunderstood your intent, I apologise...

• RR
    RR

(sigh, I dunno why I get involved)

The problem with you all ... is you're mixing JW theology with Bible Student theology.

You need to determine what was significant in 1799 and what is meant aby "the time of the end." what "end" whose "end" what's the context?

RR

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

RR:

The problem with you all ... is you're mixing JW theology with Bible Student theology.

You're not too bad at generalisations, yourself

It's as well that you bring it up, though, because it's a very valid point.
    You might need to point out some of the differences (including word definitions) to make the point. It'll be an effort, but likely well worth it...

• RR
    RR

That's the problem LT, you all want me to do all theresearch for you. Most here would care anyway, they have their minds made up. There are a hundred Bible Student sites with most or all of Russell's writings and modern day writings based on his works, WITH searcdh engines. How hard is it to type in "1799"?

Now after you type it in and read what is said and do further research, if you have a question, need some clarification, then I can step in.

You know, you guys are doing the same things you did as JW's, expect someone else to do the research and then get spoonfed. Is that what you want? You can't have it both ways!

RR

• minimus
    minimus

You are very selective when giving a response. We should study and research exactly what was meant about 1799 and yet you say you could explain it but that our minds are already made up. If you could give us a simple explanation and not just blow us off, you might see that some of us would like to know your perspective. You have said many times that BSs are not all on the same page. Since we're discussing things on your thread, you might be gracious enough to "spoon feed" us a little bit.

• RR
    RR

Min, you're the expert, you're the one who ran to the library and read his books, you explain it!

RR

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit