WT 2003 CDROM - User agreement!

by qwerty 55 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Farkel
    Farkel

Jesus: "life's waters are FREE!"

WTS: "life's waters are FREE!"

Person who made a copy of the WTS' "life's waters" and spread the message among many people: "life's waters are FREE!"

WTS: "I'll sue your ass."

That about says it all.

Note: this post was copyrighted by Jesus Christ himself(tm). Any reproductions will be strictly prosecuted per the law that He came to change. This is what is known as "Christian Freedom" (in Freedom of the Sons of God and Liberty for All) and stuff like that. It's all Bible-Based(tm).

Farkel

• laurelin
    laurelin

Point 6 is nothing to do with distributing the CDROM, it's to do with getting money for distributing said CDROM.

6. May I write commercial software or utilities that employ the program or data from Watchtower Library? No. It is not proper to charge for or to receive money from writing or distributing any software that employs the Watchtower Library program, utilities, or data.

This is only good sense considering the number of people who would try and copy this disk and then sell it on EBAY.

Personally I don't have a problem with them protecting themselves this way. They'd be stupid if they didn't and I've come to the conclusion that they are far from stupid.

• lurk
    lurk

how can you defend a user agreement that prevents public viewing of a CD version of information which you actually want the public to know about and which you distribute in magazine format ? it is insanity.... i hope a judge would think so to.

i was given a CD as a member of the public when is started studying.

would love to see a court case on this

lurk

• laurelin
    laurelin

Lurk said:

how can you defend a user agreement that prevents public viewing of a CD version of information which you actually want the public to know about and which you distribute in magazine format

They are protecting themselves from someone taking the CDROM, copying portions onto the internet with certain parts changed. Or at least that's how I see it.

Look how scared they are of Apostates. I firmly believe that they believe that Apostates would take the material on the CDROM and change it for their own benefit before posting it on the net. Please don't shout at me. I'm not saying that is what anyone here would do, just that I believe this is what they are worried about. And by saying that nothing can be posted legally they are protecting themselves. I don't see how they could possible keep an eye on what was posted if they gave carte blanch to people putting the CD on the net and you'd definitly get wacko's trying to change things on there.

Again I don't have a problem with this,as once again, from their point of view, it makes sense.

I have seen (in my long trawl through search pages) some websites and pages about Witnesses that can be laughed right out of court with the absurdity of what they claim. I haven't seen it on here, but there are outright lies posted out there. One of the ones that made me laugh was someone tried to use the Live Forever Book to prove JW's don't believe in Jesus dying for mankind. It's been ages since I had to do any think work where the books were concerned but it took me five minutes to disprove their theory using the same book (after taking five hours trying to find the darn thing!). It was glaringly obvious they were fabricating.... but only if you have access to the original book.

Same would go with the CDROM unless you have the original copy.

So I believe in denying internet usage of the CDROM they are in fact using their noddles.

This is of course, completely apart from the fact that they themselves have incorrect information on their own website...

• dh
    dh
    I firmly believe that they believe that Apostates would take the material on the CDROM and change it for their own benefit before posting it on the net. Please don't shout at me. I'm not saying that is what anyone here would do, just that I believe this is what they are worried about.

i think if they are out of their heads. my take on it is...

if they don't want sections of it on the net or in the hands of ex jw's, they are late to the game because loads of ex jw's already have it.

if their reasoning for not wanting it in the hands of ex jw's is because we might put it on the net in a corrupted form, then we have to ask if this has happened yet? and how it would benefit the cause of the ex jw? you don't need to lie to show the wt society up for what it is.

also most importantly, it would make sense that if there really was a threat of a doctored version of the cd rom becoming available, with alterations in it, then it would be in the society's interests to flood the market with as many free copies of the original as possible, thereby showing everyone that they were honest and the apostates were the evil ones doing the alterations.

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

Watchtower Statement on CD-ROM:

Watchtower Library is a research tool for Jehovah's Witnesses, not for the public or for institutions such as schools or libraries.

Matthew 24:14: And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.

Mark 16:15: And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.

Psalm 96:3: Declare his glory among the heathen, his wonders among all people.

Acts 1:8: But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.

John 18:20: Jesus answered him, I spake openly to the world; I ever taught in the synagogue, and in the temple, whither the Jews always resort; and in secret have I said nothing.

• Corvin
    Corvin
    2. Who may have a copy of Watchtower Library? Watchtower Library is a research tool for Jehovah's Witnesses, not for the public or for institutions such as schools or libraries.

This is totally gay since all or most of the contents of the CD is from publications for public distribution. They can leave copies of Watchtowers and AWAKE!'s in laundry mats and doctor's office's for public consumption, but non-JW's are not suppose to have access to the precious Arc of the Shuvenit on CD?

Corvin

• laurelin
    laurelin
    if their reasoning for not wanting it in the hands of ex jw's is because we might put it on the net in a corrupted form, then we have to ask if this has happened yet?

No, to my knowledge it hasn't happened to the CDROM because it is protected legally. But it has happened to other publications, such as the Live Forever Book.

I came across a website just yesterday that tried to say JW's taught that Abaddon was Satan and the Locusts were demons from Hell. I did an extensive trawl through the literature and could find nothing to prove that theory. The publications have always pointed to Abaddon being Jesus and the Locusts being so called witnesses. Even the Aid book (blue one) which is not on the CDROM.

I never implied that anyone on this site would put the CDROM altered on the net and I made that clear. Just that there are ones on other sites that would do it and have done it with other books.

Posting easily disproved lies about the JW's clouds the real issues. It makes it easier for less informed witnesses to brush aside concerns as they can turn around and easily disprove what these sites say.

As for whether the CDROM should be mass available and whether that would protect them from internet misusers I don't know. People ultimately believe what they want to, not necessarily the truth of an issue... I really don't see why it's such an issue that they legally protect themselves just like every other organisation. I'm quite sure that if they didn't then they'd get blasted for being stupid enough to leave themselves open. In this instance I don't think they'd win either way.

The real issue with them isn't things like this. It clouds real issues like doctrinal matters and out right scandal.

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

I they do not assert their copyright or intellectual property rights on their stuff they would be foolish. It doesn't matter if they are a religion or a business.

I do think it is annoying that the are so weary of the public getting it, but of course I am not surprised.

• lurk
    lurk

laurelin says

They are protecting themselves from someone taking the CDROM, copying portions onto the internet with certain parts changed. Or at least that's how I see it. Look how scared they are of Apostates. I firmly believe that they believe that Apostates would take the material on the CDROM and change it for their own benefit before posting it on the net.
    Please don't shout at me.

awwwwww ok lol

im not convinced as quite a few people here have pointed out the same material is widely available in magazine and book format.
    The CD is only a format for presenation and carries the same information which has been distibuted world wide in book and magazine format , new and reprints of articles etc etc. it is strange that Truth is should be restricted to JW's on there say so .yes they pay for it all..but isnt it suppsoe to be done for the mankind?

I mean you would think that if the CD were copied and given out freely in the USSR ,any christian would be overjoyedthat it was being spread .....since when was the good news copyrightable.?

As for altering text you can get copies of articles form the JW web site and alter them or simply copy from magazines and books.

The thing thats unique about the CD is its a collected work of the WTS mind. it allowes anyone to use search facility of there teachings of Truth ,even older stuff if you got the older CD's .

this is not good for the WTS

.JW's have already been assimilated and to except WT explantions with out questioning WTS Gods truth before they get to cover big amounts of info like this by the time they get to study big time info that include some of the mistakes and altered teachings and unpleasentries of 1914 etc ...its to late they will be past questioning.

A CD of WTS teachings to free thinking outsiders might be a hazzard for the door to door work.I think the WTS would not want outsiders studying "Truth" with out being told how to interperate it the history and mistakes and change in doctrine new light.

.well thats what i think anyway

lurk

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit