Witnesses on The Move.. More Lies Spoon Fed To The Media

by Country Girl 41 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

Witnesses on the move
    published: Saturday | July 17, 2004

A view of the entrance to the Marliemount headquarters of the Jehovah's Witnesses in Jamaica and the Cayman Islands. -Ricardo Makyn photo

Mark Dawes, Staff Reporter

IF YOU are inside your home on a Sunday afternoon and there's knocking at your gate and the persons standing outside are neither friends nor relatives, there is a strong probability that you are being paid a visit by Jehovah's Witnesses.

For many, that knocking is an opportunity to deny the unexpected visitors access to one's home. Few, it seems, extend the hospitality of their residences to these strangers. When allowed in, these strangers will in a friendly way share their understanding of the Bible and offer freely Awake and The Watchtower ­ the flagship publications of Jehovah's Witnesses worldwide.

HOUSE-TO-HOUSE

Jehovah's Witnesses (JWs) are not into tent crusades and television preaching. House-to-house visitation is their prime means of doing evangelism. Why? Because this form of personal evangelism was what was practised and endorsed by Jesus, says Carl Strachan, an elder at the Richmond Kingdom Hall
    of Jehovah's Witnesses, Manchester.

"It is not the glamourous way, but it is the time-honoured way," he said. Jesus, he continued, sent out his disciples in small groups, usually in twos, to visit and share the Good News. It is largely through this mode of evangelism that has secured the growth in the population of Jehovah's Witnesses in Jamaica.

CONGREGATIONS

The first congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses was planted in Jamaica in 1897 in Camberwell, St. Mary. At the first Jehovah's Witness Convention, held here in 1899, there were about 300 persons in attendance. Today, there are 11,000 active Jehovah's Witnesses in Jamaica. This translates into about one JW per 235 persons.

There are 197 congregations of Jehovah Witnesses in Jamaica. This does not mean that there are 197 church buildings where the JWs worship. It is standard JW practice for one or more congregations to use the same building for its activities. For example the Kingdom Hall building on Molynes Road in Kingston is home to five congregations ­
    Marverley, Duhaney Park, Washington Boulevard, Arlene Gardens, Molynes Road.

The growth of the movement, has caused its members to come up with a plan to build more sanctuaries and possibly, to refurbish existing ones.

Since 2002, working through its Marliemount head offices in St. Catherine, the JWs have embarked on the Kingdom Hall Construction Assistance Programme. Up to April 2003, they have built nine new
    sanctuaries.

Though their numbers are increasing, there are no deliberate church planting strategies. Congregations are established in locales on the basis of need ­ a lot of which relates to distance one is required to get to a Kingdom Hall, said Howard Pearce, an elder at the Elletson Kingdom Hall of Jehovah Witnesses in Kingston.

The Jehovah's Witnesses faith is a layman's movement, and is anti-hierarchical and anti-clerical. They believe strongly in the plurality of eldership. In that regard no one person has governing authority over a congregation. Each congregation is governed by male elders ­ all of whom enjoy equal rank and authority.

CORE BELIEFS

For certain, many of the core beliefs of Jehovah's Witnesses do not resemble any tenet of orthodox Christianity. JWs
    do not accept the deity of
    Christ in the way Christians do.
    They believe Jesus to be
    the Son of God and that his resurrection was only in the spirit realm. They do not believe the Holy Spirit is a person but an "active force". They do, however, accept that Jesus was born of a virgin.

Accordingly, many church folk regard Jehovah's Witnesses with suspicion. In many local Bible Schools and seminaries, the history and practices of Jehovah's Witnesses are taught as part of a course in Cults.

A feature of Jehovah's Witness leadership is the strong attention they give to teaching. Though Jesus fed the hungry and raised the dead, he was not known primarily as a healer or resurrecter, Mr. Pearce said. "Instead, he was largely known for his teaching," he remarked.

JWs are distinguished by their corporate withdrawal from social engagement. In this regard, JWs do not get involved in building health clinics or hospitals or primary or high schools. Their response is that they do give some help to the needy, but they will not get involved in building schools and hospitals because they are determined to stick to the core things ­ which is teaching and preaching the Good News of Jehovah.

TEACHING MINISTRY

Mr. Pearce explained that JWs are committed to the teaching ministry ­ to teach people how to live. "When
    people know how to live, it reduces their social problems and improves family life ­ the spin-off of less crime and
    violence."

The training of JWs take place largely at two of its regular weekly meetings ­ its Theocratic Ministry School and its Service Meeting. These meetings, Mr. Pearce said, provide practical counsel from the Scriptures on how to present the Good News. A main feature of the training is role-playing, followed by critique. JWs are also taught how to handle 'objections' from those in the wider public who would challenge their message
    presentations. In the JW community, no one is coerced to go on the streets to deliver Awake and The Watchtower. Such is done of one's own volition, Mr. Pearce said.

NO SEGMENTING

These services are done with the whole congregation. There is no segmenting of children from the adults. There is also no Sunday School-type activity among the JWs. The argument again, is that they are seeking to emulate Jesus, who it seems from Scripture, taught everybody at the same time ­ without segmenting the adults from the children, Mr. Strachan explained.

One can't just walk off the streets and become a JW, says Mr. Strachan. A person seeking to follow the way of Jehovah, he said, is taken through structured training and is taught what God requires of people. JW leaders will then watch for faith and maturity in the lifestyle of that person. Thereafter, the person might indicate a desire to dedicate his/her life in the service of God. Baptism by immersion is then administered and that person, as it were, becomes a full-fledged JW, Mr. Strachan explained.

Send feedback to [email protected]

• Undaunted Danny
    Undaunted Danny

alt Well done Country girl.I have already contacted the author of the 'puff piece'.

Original break from google news alerts:Witnesses on the move
    Jamaica Gleaner, Jamaica - 6 hours ago
    A view of the entrance to the Marliemount headquarters of the Jehovah's Witnesses in Jamaica and the Cayman Islands. -Ricardo Makyn photo. ...

» Theologically,Jehovah's Witnesses are a cult of Christianity.The oppressive organization does not represent historical, Biblical Christianity in any way. Sociologically, it is a destructive cult whose false teachings frequently result in spiritual and psychological abuse, as well as needless deaths. Watchtower Whistle Blower www.DannyHaszard.com

New! Get the latest news on jehovah's witnesses with Google News Alerts.< SIGN UP EVERYONE GET A PIECE OF THE ACTION

• Undaunted Danny
    Undaunted Danny

More examples of using: google news alerts/Jehovah's Witnesses.

Whats up so far today.

Church Notes, 07-17-04
    Evansville Courier & Press (subscription), IN - 3 hours ago
    ... Jehovah's Witnesses are hosting a three-day convention centering on the theme "Walk With God" at Roberts Stadium in Evansville today and Sunday. ...

CJ: Prince may not be so family-friendly
    Minneapolis Star Tribune (subscription), MN - 19 hours ago
    ... New Orleans stop on his "Musicology Tour," which is billed as a less raunchy show that reflects his maturity and his current commitment to Jehovah's Witnesses. ...
  • Sweetp0985
    Sweetp0985

Undaunted I read the article about Prince, as if HE would ever get disfellowshipped... I heard the lyrics to one of his other "goody-goody" songs and was shocked. I guess even if he does slip a word in or two he won't get df'd because of all the publicity about him being a JW. Just like Venus and Serena running around the tennis court carrying the flag...anyone else would have been pulled in somebody's committee room...

• shamus
    shamus

Their response is that they do give some help to the needy, but they will not get involved in building schools and hospitals because they are determined to stick to the core things ­ which is teaching and preaching the Good News of Jehovah.
    No they do not give help to the needy. Only they're needy, and that's poor at best. As for building the schools and hospitals, they leave that to the people who are going to be bird food at armageddon to build. Sad but true.

• Undaunted Danny
    Undaunted Danny

[.....they are determined to stick to the core things ­ which is teaching and preaching the Good News of Jehovah....] What is the" core thing" of Jehovah's Witnesses?

What is the "message" of Jehovah's Witnesses?

By the own admission the central CORE doctrine of the Watchtower is that Christ Jesus returned to power( had his 2nd coming ) in the year 1914.
    That's it....What do you think?

$200 billion in real estate assets and not one food pantry or soup kitchen for the needy? [ref.James 1:27]

• MBD
    MBD

My God, you have no concept of who Jehovah's Witnesses are as a people. I am an inactive(disassociated) Witness. I haven't been to Christian meetings in many years simply because I have chosen a life of sin. And I know Jehovah loves me but is not pleased with my lifestyle and am more than willing to accept my own death as a consequence. I look around me and see the world is falling apart and am more than ready to go down with it so that good, descent peole can finally live free of tyranny and wickedness.

Even in my sin, I know the Witnesses are descent, honest people who truely want to please God and help others. There is no brainwashing. I laugh at this. I nearly applied to go to Bethel when I was still walking the path, so that I could serve God with my whole heart and whole soul. (mind and body)

Anyone who says otherwise is simply spreading lies backed by an intense hatred for truth, love, and anything associated with those virtues.

I have been to many so-called Christian churches in my life. I have seen the evidence of their "truth" in the bombs they drop on other countries. I could go on and on about these so-called Christian faiths, but I choose not to. Soup Kitchens indeed! Feed the hungry and then send your young men to kill others in the name of Christ!

Even in my life of sin, I sincerely pray to Jehovah (though I wouldn't hold it against him if he didn't listen) that those of you who push away the truth and persecute any (imperfect) human who seeks it be forgiven and have your eyes and heart opened.

I will not post again to this forum, as I was looking for a forum of people that were uplifting one another and came across just the opposite. Feel free to rant at me.

• Joker10
    Joker10

MBD, you are right if you when you say this is not an uplifting site.

• Undaunted Danny
    Undaunted Danny

Sample Rebuttal to news media groups feel free to modify the basic draft.

Regarding; Jehovah's Witnesses a destructive abusive cult. Jehovah's Witnesses are predatory psychopaths who suceed by,"intimidation through litigation". They are bullys plain and simple. The Watchtower is big money, being one of the top 40 New York City Corporations making nearly one billion dollars a year. That?s just from one of their many corporations.

Unlike in the case of Christians who are persecuted in other lands for talking about Jesus Christ, Jehovah?s Witnesses are largely persecuted for following the teachings begun during the second presidency of the Watchtower, when Joseph F. Rutherford took over in a corporate flap and began changing doctrines quickly in the Watchtower belief system. He claimed that angels directly conveyed ?truth? to some of those in leadership. He coined the name ?Jehovah?s Witnesses? to make them stand out from being witnesses of Jesus, a typical evangelical expression (and a Biblical one). Rutherford dumped holidays, birthdays and the 1874 date for the invisible return on Christ, and invented an ?earthly class? of Witnesses, since only 144,000 can go to heaven in their teaching. The rest, meaning all 99.9% of Witnesses still alive, will live forever on a cleansed earth, under the rule of the Watchtower leaders in heaven, who will keep them in line by local elders known as ?Princes.?

If you have been ?witnessed to? by Jehovah?s Witnesses and you reject their message, you will likely die ?shortly? at Armageddon with all the other non-Witnesses, since theirs is the only true religion, and (if they can live up to all the rules) they are the only ones to inhabit this ?new earth.? If you believe Witnesses seem rigid now, any non-conformist during the future ?cleansed earth? will be directly destroyed by Jehovah. Even now a Witness will be disfellowshipped for any one of many gaffs, such as smoking, taking a blood transfusion, or even voting. To even vocally question the teachings of the Watchtower will result in complete cutting off, with family and friends usually being forbidden to talk to them. The Watchtower is a truly Orwellian world, in a time when Orwellian societies are nearly obsolete.

By their own Yearbook accounts, Witnesses are shrinking in number in many Western countries as of the last three years, as the internet facilitates the spread of information (much of it critical of the Witnesses). Witnesses are cautioned against creating JW-related websites, largely to prevent their members from discovering the history and dirty laundry of this organization on other websites. (There are literally hundreds of former members pages in many languages.) The Watchtower strives hard to control the flow of information to the individual Witness, and prefers that all instruction come through the magazines they carry door-to-door. Without this form of control, even as they themselves admit, they would believe just the same as other Bible believers.

My hope is that there will be a day in each of their lives when the Watchtower magazine is no longer needed, and they can go to college, vote for office, and contribute money and time to other, more vital causes in their community. More than likely they will then cease to be persecuted, except in a few societies more authoritarian than their own.

References:

www.freeminds.org (type in a search word to find articles easily)

www.dannyhaszard.com

www.silentlambs.org (latest news on the child abuse lawsuits against the Watchtower)

{Note:} What forensic psychologist say about cult leaders like Jim Jones and David Koresh.They are control freaks who will never abdicate control.They will choose death by suicide or a fiery fight to the very end.We can indeed see a comparison with the arrogant watchtower cult.

The anguish and the agony of having to renounce the lifelong convictions of one's heart.The surreal horror to know that it was all a lie!

• Undaunted Danny
    Undaunted Danny

Resources,where to send your 'letters to the editor'. http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/36347/1.ashx [ MEDIA AND NEWS SOURCES (REPORTERS, WEBSITES, NEWSPAPERS, etc.] alt

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit